relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Announcement that is. This is what I heard does anyone know anything else about it? Minelab must be aware of the demand for more coil options- Also heard about
a possible price increase coming on the 800,600 but can’t confirm.
Other coil choices would be good news. I’ve long hoped for a mid size coil like an 8”or 9” round or a 10” x 7” elliptical.
To me it would be logical to offer the vanquish coil lineup adapted to the equinox. The sizes are good, the coil ears beefier, and they are modestly priced. I’d get the 10”x7” yesterday. Whatever they do should also be compatible with the next version of the Nox if there is one coming.

Last edited:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’d like to see an elliptical, 10 x 7 would be nice

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also heard of the price increases. I don't know anything about a new coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard rumors about both, with the elliptical coil being a solid bottom and mainly one designed for prospecting. Nothing concrete though........

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked them several times for an 8" coil, and others would love to see one also, I hope this is what comes. Almost never take the 8" off my Safari, don't understand why they don't make more coils for the Nox.

Larryocala

Jan 27, 2021
Ocala
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a YouTube video two days ago and they said new coils for nox coming from coiltek

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coiltek= good coils but also = pricey.
That kills my hope they adapted the vanquish line to work on the Nox which is a good size range and lower possible prices.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I hope it’s not 10 x 7 and would rather see a 5 x 10 DD. A 10 x 7 I believe would be a mistake.
A 10 x 7 is just to close to a 11”

a 5 x 11 would also be great.
you could get into tight spaces and also cover more ground.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it’s not 10 x 7 and would rather see a 5 x 10 DD. A 10 x 7 I believe would be a mistake.
A 10 x 7 is just to close to a 11”

a 5 x 11 would also be great.
you could get into tight spaces and also cover more ground.

10x7 (or 7×10, either way its the same coil, you never see "sideways" oriented elliptical coils) is actually closer to the 6 inch not the 11" from a depth perspective. The short width dimension of an elliptical DD coil primarily determines the diameter of the round coil it should be compared to for depth purposes. In this case, a 7 inch round, but with 10 inches of swing sweep coverage for a 3 inch improvement. So it would have slightly better depth than the 6 inch round and 4 inches of additional swing coverage. The 5x10 (or 10x5) would be slightly less or almost the same depth than the 6" round (the 10" length does provide some slight enhancement of the overall magnetic field strength vs. a 5" round) with good 10" coverage. So both the 5x10 and 7x10 coils woud have similar depth performance to the 6" round, with the 7x10 probably getting an additonal inch plus of depth over the 5x10. Both would have the same swing coverage. The only real difference being more ability to swing the 5x10 in tight side-to-side situations vs. the 7x10.

Last edited:

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it confirmed from a dealer 3 days ago price is going up about 50.00 on 800, 600 not sure

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it confirmed from a dealer 3 days ago price is going up about 50.00 on 800, 600 not sure

The 600 will probably stay the same price.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Looks like they are trying to recoup the money for the broken ears.
raising it that much will be a game killer. Especially when our country is tanking.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
raising it that much will be a game killer. Especially when our country is tanking.

Doubtful, it will be a game killer. They know exactly what they are doing and what they can get away with without killing Equinox sales which has been really good. They are very business savvy and take meticulous data on sales, regional and worldwide, and warranty repair costs (the drowned control pods are probably more expensive to deal with than the coil ears, but both problems are costing them money - yet at 3 years, they have one of the longest lasting warranties in the business). How do I know? Codan is a publicly-traded company and they have to be pretty transparent with their business performance data some of which is poste online. They are doing quite well from a business perspective. Even though it won't play well with us, the fact is the Equinox is an excellent and popular detector and the price hike will do little to dampen the enthusiasm for those who have yet to buy one. It is a calculated business decision.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

$50 price raise is not even 10% on the 800. Won't mean jack! Also will not even start to pay for their poor engineering.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I was just about to get the 6" for the spring. Maybe I'll wait and get the 5x10 instead.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may what poor engineering are you speaking of, it’s good to no before I purchase 600 or 800, thanks

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaft wobble, coil ear breakage, water damage due to leaking control pod and arm cuff breakage. With that being said, my equinox 800 is the most amazing machine I’ve ever owned and none of those problems listed above among many others have happened to me. I take care of my 800 but at the same time I don’t baby it either. I did purchase a carbon fiber shaft when I ordered mine and love it. Do your own research then make your decision to purchase or not based on that. Good luck!!!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I was just about to get the 6" for the spring. Maybe I'll wait and get the 5x10 instead.

I got the 6" over a year ago and I'm very happy with it, but - it's very small and doesn't cover a lot of ground. The 5x10 could be a nice alternative to the 6", though I probably won't end up buying any of these Coiltek coils simply because the Equinox is so good with the stock 11" and with the 6". I can't imagine it being any better....

As for manufacturing defects, yes they happen - but they happen with any heavily used tool. Don't let a few issues dissuade you from the Equinox.

- Brian

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 6 inch coil as well and love it, mainly use it in specific small areas. If I do get one of these new coils from Coiltek it’s probably going to be the 10X5. I’m curious to see if they pin point the same as Minelab coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread