CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All!

I bought a used Equinox 600 about a month ago. I am liking the MD so far, but I only have about 12 hours on the machine. The two things I have to address so far is the shaft...I already ordered carbon fiber shafts from Steve's Detector Shafts and they should be here within a week or so. The other is the headphones. I have good headphones with the two other MD's I have and they work fine, but the Minelab headphones (wireless) leave something to be desired. They are on the small size and the tones don't suit me so well. Does anyone have any suggestions for some good aftermarket headphones? I can buy the WM08 and get something good. What do you have for me?

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have an EQ but if I did, I would use the wireless module box with a good pair of corded headphones like Grey Ghost or Killer B's. I read that you will get a faster signal response doing this. But you have to do some research because I could be wrong. Maybe an expert will chime in.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodsy -- you are correct; the wireless module box IS faster, from a "stats" perspective -- 17ms if I am not mistaken, vs. abut 40ms. for the Bluetooth phones. BUT -- even 40ms is supposed to be "imperceptible" in terms of delay, and I had posted a video quite awhile back that shows what 40ms delay sounds like. To my ears, it was indeed imperceptible.

With all that said, using your "favorite" headphones, hard-wired to the Minelab WM08 wireless module is a very reasonable solution. I prefer, however, to be TOTALLY wireless, if possible, and so I use a "BT80" headphone, which is what the Minelab phones are, a version of "BT80" headphone. However, there is different software that can be specified by any company wishing to re-brand and sell a "BT80" headphone, and the different software gives a different sound profile. Minelab's specified software for their "BT80" headphone (which they re-label as "ML80") is WAY too "bass-heavy" for my liking, making the tones sound "muddy" and not "crisp" enough. Meanwhile, I have always preferred another version of the "BT80" -- rebranded by a company called "Miccus." They call their "BT80" the SR-71 Stealth. These phones sound MUCH better to my ears, not muddy, not bass-heavy. They accentuate the treble tones more, and thus give crisper target responses.

BUT -- these headphones are exactly the same in appearance as the Minelab phones, so if Minelab's are too small for you, these will be too...

Steve

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some APTX low latency headphones that are compatible with Equinox:

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wireless-Headphones-Comfortable-Bluetooth/dp/B01A0EAYDI

They appear to be a more open design than the ML headphones and should fit better.

Alternatively, you can get an APTX low latency bluetooth receiver/transmitter, into which you can plug any headphones using a mini-plug (if you have a favorite set of detecting phones with the larger 1/4" plug, then you will need to get an plug adapter dongle).

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Indicator-Simultaneously/dp/B01K8ANDCI

I recommend the BT APTX LL receiver over the WM08. The WM08 is ridiculously overpriced for what it is if you buy it new as a Minelab accessory. Even if you buy it "used" from Equinox owners at a signficant discount, you are still going to pay over a hundred bucks, which is still nuts. The BT receiver/transmitter box above is about the size of a zippo lighter and can be stuffed anywhere. There are other similar units available if you search around and they all hover around the $25 to $35 range.

HTH

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Nox 600. I have used a Trond headset, bought from Amazon about $60. Used over a year and they work great.

OP
OP
C

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Nox 600. I have used a Trond headset, bought from Amazon about $60. Used over a year and they work great.

Did you have to get the Trond transmitter receiver too? Or do the headphones sync up to the machine without them?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Did you have to get the Trond transmitter receiver too? Or do the headphones sync up to the machine without them?

I've ran Tronds for over a year, and a buddy getting into the hobby bought Tronds from Amazon. They work standalone without a transmitter, and pair fine with the Equinox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FWIW - The Trond headset has basically the same form factor and similar earcups as the Equinox BT phones so if Equinox phones didn't fit well, you may also have difficulty with the Tronds, if you can find them. They are different than the Equinox phones (not a rebranded clone), have better fidelity than the ML phones, and they are compatible with Equinox, so they may work out. I recommended the Avantrees because they appear to have a more open form factor than either the Equinox or Trond phones and also good tones. Just putting it out there.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
67GTA -- those headphones will work just fine; they are an older version of BT80 headphone, but by "older," I simply mean Bluetooth v. 4.1, which is what the Minelab BT80 (ML80) are. Obviously, I don't know which sound profile these have -- the "Minelab" profile (more bass-heavy), or more like the Miccus ones (crisper/clearer high tones), but they will certainly do just fine for you.

bxlarry and CalReg -- yes, the Trond phones are yet another "BT80" type headphone, and the Tronds DO have the crisper/clearer high tones like the Miccus version of BT80 (SR71 Stealth).

Steve

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was afraid the price would equate to crappy sound.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
67GTA,

I don't think so; if you don't think the sound of the Minelab ML80 is "crappy," then you are fine. They will either, quite likely, have the same sound profile as the Minelab phones (the more "bass-heavy" profile), or the profile like the Miccus and Trond phones. If you are OK with the Minelab phones' sound profile, you should be just fine with these, as I don't think it would be worse...

Steve

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought these, I'll let ya know how they sound after they arrive.

Attachments

• eq phone.jpg
    eq phone.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 75
  • wfpro.jpg
    wfpro.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 79

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I just bought these, I'll let ya know how they sound after they arrive.

That's what I use and have been using for a couple of years now. I very much like them, Sound and build quality, reliable, water resistant and made specifically for the Equinox.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I use and have been using for a couple of years now. I very much like them, Sound and build quality, reliable, water resistant and made specifically for the Equinox.

Thanks ColonelDan, that makes me feel much better, they were dirt cheap, $41 from fleabay after shipping and taxes.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a good deal Dan. I have those too but hesitate to recommend them to folks looking for a cheaper pair of BT headphones for Equinox because of price which is closer to $99 regularly. But they are worth the extra cost because they are the only BT APTX-LL phones I have seen that are weather resistant.

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800

I just ordered a pair also. I have the same kind for my Deus that takes the WS4 puck. I love them. Now I will get the same fit and quality for my equinox too. Great headphones.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does the sound compare to the ML80's? Clearer, not as "bassy"? Very curious about them.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
How does the sound compare to the ML80's? Clearer, not as "bassy"? Very curious about them.

I think the sound is excellent but that's just me, others may have a different opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread