Lost Ring
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lost Ring

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2019
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lost Ring

Need some help, I have a equinox 800 and a neighbor just posted that she lost her ring that held a stone from her grandmother. It's a white gold ring and it was dropped yesterday. My wife asked I would help her find it with my detector and I agreed. Any suggestions on VDI numbers that I should keep an eye out for. I assume it shouldn't be deep into the ground, more likely in the grass. Any suggestions would be help so I'm not looking at everything that sounds off

Thanks

Charter Member
    us
    Master of My Domain

Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    7927 times
    VDI is hard to nail down on gold jewelry. I would say likely 7 to 12 but it could be 4 to 20. See if the person who lost it has a similar ring or at least a ring of similar size/composition (doesn't need to have a stone setting, a matching wedding band would do) and key off that. Use a gold ring test target (or the similar ring of your "client"). No need for multifrequency on this one, use single frequency at 20 khz or preferably 40 khz. The higher frequencies do well on gold and they penetrate less into the ground further reducing the chances of hitting off anything other than very shallow or surface targets. Don't use gold mode, you want to hear a nice crisp tone ID and the VCO audio of gold mode will cause all targets to sound the same. You can also bump up the tone pitch in the 10 to 15 bin if you want to give you that high ping or use 2 tone mode. Set the test target on the ground and lower sensitivity to about 10 or 15 and ensure you can still clearly hear the target. You can further limit hitting deeper targets by increasing recovery speed to maximum. You can also probably safely notch out any TID less than zero and greater than 20. This should allow you to laser in on the target. The only problem you will have is if there is a lot of shallow can slaw or pull tabs because they tend to ring up like gold but I would expect those to fall mainly in the 12 to 15 TID range. Good luck.
    Last edited by vferrari; Feb 22, 2021 at 09:25 PM.
    Donut, Tommybuckets and dts52 like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

"Sit down and shut up, will ya? Try not to live up to all my expectations."

us
    Jan 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
    330 times
    VDI won’t help much. Rings can hit all over the VDI. watch your depth scale. Also it should be a solid signal.
    Do you know the area and hope big the area is .
    Doug
    vferrari likes this.
    Coloma, Michigan, South West lower Michigan.Just east of St,
    Joseph Mi, 12 miles

Equinox 800 11, 6 coil
    Steveís Carbon fiber shaft with counter weight.
    Xterra 70

Dec 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    VDI wonít help much. Rings can hit all over the VDI. watch your depth scale. Also it should be a solid signal.
    Do you know the area and hope big the area is .
    Doug
    The area is a trail to sidewalk, just spoke with her to know exactly where she walked.

us
    Jul 2010
    446 times
    Here is a pic of a white gold ring I measured with the Equinox. The picture is bad quality but I'll describe it. It had a narrow, dainty band on it. The stones were set into a facing, which was perforated with a bunch of holes. It wasn't solid. It couldn't gave weight more than 3-4 grams. Its VDI was -4. Har it been solid, the VDI woulda surely been positive numbers, but low single digits, under 10. Small ladies engagement rings with many stone settings, will read lower than anything solid. Good luck. It'd help if she had a photo of the ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5380F81C-F9F1-429B-A08F-63CAF878770F.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1904533  
    Last edited by McKinney_5900; Feb 22, 2021 at 10:18 PM.

us
    Jan 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinney_5900 View Post
    Here is a pic of a white gold ring I measured with the Equinox. The picture is bad quality but I'll describe it. It had a narrow, dainty band on it. The stones were set into a facing, which was perforated with a bunch of holes. It wasn't solid. It couldn't gave weight more than 3-4 grams. Its VDI was -4. Har it been solid, the VDI woulda surely been positive numbers, but low single digits, under 10. Small ladies engagement rings with many stone settings, will read lower than anything solid. Good luck. It'd help if she had a photo of the ring.
    I like the white one on the left. ��
    islamoradamark likes this.
    Coloma, Michigan, South West lower Michigan.Just east of St,
    Joseph Mi, 12 miles

Equinox 800 11, 6 coil
    Steveís Carbon fiber shaft with counter weight.
    Xterra 70

Dec 2019
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinney_5900 View Post
    Thank you for the info, that will help with the search

us
    Jul 2010
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonw77 View Post
    Thank you for the info, that will help with the search
    I purposely took the photo of the ring just in case she ever loses it. I highly doubt I'd ever look down as low as a -4 Vdi. I am becoming very confident that if I had a pic of the ring, or a pic of a ring just like it, that I could narrow the VDI range on it. Engagement rings especially. If someone tells me they lost a solid gold ring and it was small or medium or large, those have fundamental Vdi zones. Extra decorations and fancy settings...it gets tougher. Silver rings are WAY easier. GL

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    299 times
    Pay close attention to any double tones because if she dropped it recently itís either on the surface or just below
    eman1000 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9483 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'd put the detector in Park 2, horseshoe on, lower the sensitivity to 10-12, and if it's a dainty little thin band engagement ring, concentrate on I.D. numbers from 2 to 10. Don't ignore numbers higher or lower, but, It should be in that range if it's 10-18K gold. Any target hit and check the depth meter. Anything deeper than 2 inches you can ignore unless we're talking about a soft dirt, mud, or sandy area. You may also have readjust your thinking if it real deep grass too. In this case, or, and area with deep ground cover or bushes, run the sensitivity up as high as you can and still be stable, and pretty much ignore the depth meter.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Relic Recoverist

Jun 2015
    BEAN FIELD ,IL
    Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
    278 times
    Run your sensitivity on the low end. You mentioned a sidewalk. Avoid the rebar signals

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2624 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Jason, you haven't given enough information to satisfy me. You need to quiz this girl on site if possible. What was she doing at the time to "drop" the ring. Did she take it off to let someone try it on and fumble it? Or, did she just happen to notice it was missing from her finger at that time. In the case of the latter, it could be anywhere. If it was a fumble, and the spot is known a Radio Shack detector should be able to find it. Details,Details, Details. Hope you make the find.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    36228 times
    If lost recently then it should be on the surface, if she knows general area I would check all targets showing very shallow 20 and below.
    vferrari likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Jason how did the search go?
    I recovered a ring for someone in the fall, and it was NOT where they thought it would be. Keep in mind that while people think they know where they were when they lost it, itís not always that easy (if it was they wouldnít need help). If you havenít found it I suggest you look outside of the search area they directed you to.

The ring I found (a titanium health tracking ring):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614183887.419865.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1904927
    No gold in NY likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2624 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Jason how did the search go?
    I recovered a ring for someone in the fall, and it was NOT where they thought it would be. Keep in mind that while people think they know where they were when they lost it, it’s not always that easy (if it was they wouldn’t need help). If you haven’t found it I suggest you look outside of the search area they directed you to.

The ring I found (a titanium health tracking ring):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614183887.419865.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1904927
    This is what I tried to tell Jason in an earlier post. I am trying to recover a class ring at a near by school. Talked with the grounds superintendent. He said she "discovered it missing" during gym class. Wanted to meet with the girl and her parents. The people in the office wouldn't help me. Guess I'm on my own. Digging lots of clad anyway!
    Last edited by No gold in NY; Feb 25, 2021 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links