Finally Made The Plunge

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally decided to make the big plunge and ordered an Equinox 800, the 6" coil with lower rod and a power pack for extra reserve power. Got tired of living with the limitations of single frequency VLF detectors. It just seems like the guys with the Minelab detectors in my Metal detector club seem to find most of the older coins and more silver ones too. I'm convinced that most of the older coins are deeper and it seems the Minelabs seem to find more stuff. I started detecting many years ago during the days of BFO technology detectors. My first serious detector was a Whites Coinmaster BFO. that was over 46 years ago. My most recent detectors were a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, a Bounty Hunter Legacy 3500, A Teknetics T2 Classic, and my latest detector was a Teknetics T2SE LTD. They were all great detectors and I had lots of fun and enjoyment with them. However, I decided that I wanted to step up to a multifrequency detector and one that I could also hunt in shallow water with too. The Minelab Equinox 800 met all my criteria for a serious upgrade. I ordered my detector from Bart (he's the one I purchased my T2SE LTD from). Should be getting it Friday, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. It just can't get here soon enough!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your Equinox. Great detector.

You likely won’t ever need the power pack in the field unless you forget to charge the battery the night before or are in the field multiple days without a charging source. The Equinox on-board battery should get you through a 12-hour day of detecting. Good to have just in case or if you want to top of your detector in the car on the way to the site.

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent choice! The Equinox was my first multifrequency detector and my only regret was not getting one sooner. It really us a great detector and well balances for an easy swing. I hope to see you post some great finds with it.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait till you get it. There is a learning curve, might consider buying one of the books that are available for the Equinox. I like the one by Andy Sabisch. Covers all the bases including accessories. PS like my EQ 800 very much.

Sam Holden

Sep 26, 2020
NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you love and enjoy yours as much as I love and enjoy mine :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll not regret your decision! :icon_thumright:

From what my research revealed on waterproof and multifrequency detectors price comparisons, specifications and ratings / reviews...I made the best decision based on everything and your confirmation of this puts my mind at ease. Thanks for your thoughts and reply.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your Equinox. Great detector.

You likely won’t ever need the power pack in the field unless you forget to charge the battery the night before or are in the field multiple days without a charging source. The Equinox on-board battery should get you through a 12-hour day of detecting. Good to have just in case or if you want to top of your detector in the car on the way to the site.

Thanks for our confirmation. You're probably right about the power pack, however I don't think that it's wasted money because it could also be used to recharge a cell phone or any other usb device in the field.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent choice! The Equinox was my first multifrequency detector and my only regret was not getting one sooner. It really us a great detector and well balances for an easy swing. I hope to see you post some great finds with it.

Thanks for your confirmation. The only reason that I didn't order one sooner was because of the cost. However, my sweetheart (my dear wife) told me to go ahead and order one because she knows how much I enjoy this hobby.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till you get it. There is a learning curve, might consider buying one of the books that are available for the Equinox. I like the one by Andy Sabisch. Covers all the bases including accessories. PS like my EQ 800 very much.

Thanks for your confirmation. Yes, a lot of people have mentioned the steep learning curve getting to learn the detector. I thought about getting a book on it...the only question was, which one? Your post helped me decide which book to buy. Thanks again.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you love and enjoy yours as much as I love and enjoy mine :laughing7:

Thanks for your confirmation. I'm really excited about getting mine. I just know I'll love and enjoy it once I get to using it.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and enjoy your new detector. It’ll get it done for you.

Thanks for your confirmation. I'm really enthusiastic and ready to go detecting now!!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for our confirmation. You're probably right about the power pack, however I don't think that it's wasted money because it could also be used to recharge a cell phone or any other usb device in the field.

Totally agree, as long as it was a "generic" general purpose power bank (never leave for a hunt without one in the truck) as power banks in general are a useful accessory for the myriad of electronics (phone, headphones, detectors, wireless pinpointers, radios, etc.) we now use metal detecting. I have found, however, that packs purpose built for attaching to the Equinox generally come with an unnecessary premium cost for the power pack battery capacity provided, like the RNB unit that is out there (also generally not weatherproof, so be aware of that if you have one of those and decide to use it while swinging the detector).

Last edited:

Esto Perpetua

Greenie
Feb 8, 2021
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 - Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also jumped onto the 800 bandwagon, though haven't tested it yet.

In regards to the power pack, I also bought one for mine, then I realized.... I usually have a portable jumpstart pack around here. Most of these have a USB output @2.4 Amps. Just something to think about, and good to have in your rig when you drive out.

OP
OP
B

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also jumped onto the 800 bandwagon, though haven't tested it yet.

In regards to the power pack, I also bought one for mine, then I realized.... I usually have a portable jumpstart pack around here. Most of these have a USB output @2.4 Amps. Just something to think about, and good to have in your rig when you drive out.

Got my detector Monday and tested it out yesterday in my front yard. Works great. Found some targets with the Nox 800 that my Teknetics T2SE missed and located many more that were deeper than I really wanted to dig. The Nox really does go deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread