Where to Purchase the 800

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm finally gonna take the plunge, and purchase a Equinox 800.
Been detecting for a long while, starting with the Silver Eagle, and still relying on the DFX and the old trusty backup Shadow.
My question isn't about the detector, (that will soon follow), but where to purchase.
I've purchased from Kelly's, but I'm curious about Serious Detecting, out of Ypsilanti, MI
Has anyone purchased from them?
Any ideas on other places?
They have a nice package deal, (actually had 3, but the others are sold out)
Please, any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
CurbdiggerCarl

I've purchased detectors from 3 sources 2 detectors from Big Boys Hobbies, 1 from Kellyco, and 2 from metaldetector.com. So far I like doing business with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies best. I've bought after market coils and other accessories from Serious Detecting...they're good too.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't comment on those but I have done several purchases from BigBoysHobbies.net and Bart has always been great to deal with.

Bought both of my minelabs from Bart, and he includes some goodies with the detector

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought my first detector in '83 from Kellyco, even drove down to their shop in Florida - I'd sent my Excal into them for mods about 5 years ago.

Also drove up to Michigan for a seminar with Andy Sabisch on the CTX some years ago - didn't drive up just for the seminar as two of my children live up there. Andy was quite impressive!

In my experience and opinion, either would be a really good choice.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my new Equinox 800 from Kellyco last week. This is my third detector from them over the last 20 years. I’m totally satisfied, competitive pricing and fast shipping. The bundle deals at other sellers are attractive but I qualified for the military discount and that equaled out the sellers since the bundle deals are not available with the 15% discount. Kellyco had the 15% discount and also had did some “free” items with any detector. They also had a discount code to receive a free soft side detector bag. I called and made the purchase over the phone. All in all I’m very happy.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought my first detector in '83 from Kellyco, even drove down to their shop in Florida - I'd sent my Excal into them for mods about 5 years ago.

Also drove up to Michigan for a seminar with Andy Sabisch on the CTX some years ago - didn't drive up just for the seminar as two of my children live up there. Andy was quite impressive!

In my experience and opinion, either would be a really good choice.

Agree re: Andy. But again, as I posted above, Andy no longer resides in Michigan and is NOT affiliated with Serious Detecting based out of Ypsilanti, MI contrary to what was posted previously.

BTW I want to put a plug in for Keith at Ft. Bedford Metal Detecting in PA. ML product line expert, also runs the ML regional US repair center, and he also fully honors the 15% Veteran's Discount for ML detectors as should any other authorized ML dealer. He provides prompt personalized customer service and most importantly returns calls and if he doesn't already know the answer to your question, does the research to find out tge correct answer.

Last edited:

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur 2, White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought an Excalibur 2 and an Equinox 800 from Big Boy Hobbies. I also bought from KellyCo years ago. Both are excellent. One thing I REALLY liked about Big Boy Hobbies. besides Bart being a fantastic guy, is that BBH charged NO TAXES! That is a huge savings considering the price of detectors. When advertised prices are the same from dealer to dealer, check and see if they charge taxes.

I don't remember if KellyCo charged taxes or not because it was so long ago (bought a Minelab Quattro new from them). But I do know BBH didn't charge taxes recently and therefore saved me a bundle. And like I said, Bart was a pleasure working with.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an Excalibur 2 and an Equinox 800 from Big Boy Hobbies. I also bought from KellyCo years ago. Both are excellent. One thing I REALLY liked about Big Boy Hobbies. besides Bart being a fantastic guy, is that BBH charged NO TAXES! That is a huge savings considering the price of detectors. When advertised prices are the same from dealer to dealer, check and see if they charge taxes.

I don't remember if KellyCo charged taxes or not because it was so long ago (bought a Minelab Quattro new from them). But I do know BBH didn't charge taxes recently and therefore saved me a bundle. And like I said, Bart was a pleasure working with.

And free shipping

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went with Serious Detecting, and got the Adventure Bundle deal for $1048.
Comes with pinpointer, shovel, decent digging knife, bag, etc.
All stuff I had, but can always use backup.
Just picked it up today from the UPS hub, the days they would have delivered it to me I would have been working.
Gonna set it up tomorrow, and hopefully start swinging soon after.
Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll be bugging you all for any tips on accessories that I'll need as well.
Did order some coil tab strengtheners for the stock 11", and will be looking for the carbon-fiber rods, as well.
Carl

Mar 30, 2021
SW Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So it looks like 949 is the MAP and some of the dealers may offer a bag or something. I met a guy detecting at the beach yesterday with an equinox 800 and he said he paid $750 for it from a dealer. Didn’t get the name though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it looks like 949 is the MAP and some of the dealers may offer a bag or something. I met a guy detecting at the beach yesterday with an equinox 800 and he said he paid $750 for it from a dealer. Didn’t get the name though.

Sounds like he likely got the ML 15% veteran's discount on top of the old $899 MAP or on top of a dealer's discounted "full price".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread