Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm finally gonna take the plunge, and purchase a Equinox 800.
Been detecting for a long while, starting with the Silver Eagle, and still relying on the DFX and the old trusty backup Shadow.
My question isn't about the detector, (that will soon follow), but where to purchase.
I've purchased from Kelly's, but I'm curious about Serious Detecting, out of Ypsilanti, MI
Has anyone purchased from them?
Any ideas on other places?
They have a nice package deal, (actually had 3, but the others are sold out)
Please, any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
CurbdiggerCarl

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't comment on those but I have done several purchases from BigBoysHobbies.net and Bart has always been great to deal with.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made many purchases through Serious Detecting with no issues whatsoever.

Indywar2

Greenie
Jun 27, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a equinox 800 from Jeff at quality metal detectors. Very happy with the customer service and good price.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had great experiences dealing with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. Excellent customer service & fast delivery

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought from BBH, Extreme, Kellyco, and Colonial with no problems.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors offered me the best deals always.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a friend of mine had a silver eagle back in the early 90s and that machine would blow everybody away on cw bullets. He paid over 700 for it back then.

You can't go wrong with the nox 800. Best all around machine I have owned.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got mine from Dave at Kellyco, was very helpful, knowledgeable and lighting fast shipping but check around the web sometimes the extras (if needed) you get with the bundle is worth the extra pricing.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got mine from serious, before the pandemic hit. In my neck of the woods so I went to their shop, alot of nice detecting stuff there in stock, though it is not a super store like kellys, and helpful friendly people.
Can't go wrong, also remember the 15% military discount if you served, or know someone who has who can apply it for you.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased every single new detector I've ever purchased dating to 1983 from Kellyco.

Been faithful to them, and they've been faithful to me since 1983.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serious Detecting is Andy Sabish, and he has a nice used 800 on ebay right now if you want a deal. Also check your local craigslist, I just got a nice 800 only used a few times but only two months warranty left for $500. Got a one month old one two years ago for $750, both on craigslist.

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm finally gonna take the plunge, and purchase a Equinox 800.
Been detecting for a long while, starting with the Silver Eagle, and still relying on the DFX and the old trusty backup Shadow.
My question isn't about the detector, (that will soon follow), but where to purchase.
I've purchased from Kelly's, but I'm curious about Serious Detecting, out of Ypsilanti, MI
Has anyone purchased from them?
Any ideas on other places?
They have a nice package deal, (actually had 3, but the others are sold out)
Please, any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
CurbdiggerCarl

BUY IT USED WITH 1 YEAR WARRENTY LEFT!!! SAVE$$$$

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had great experience with Big Boys Hobbies. From the time I ordered my nox 800 from them to the time it was at my door was under 48 hours. But you will get good service from any dealer mentioned in this thread. Stay away from big box stores when purchasing and support the local folks.

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input, had more comments on this posting than on some pretty decent finds I've posted in the past!
I'm still leaning towards Serious Detecting, they offer a decent bundle package at $949.00.
Big Boys has a decent package as well. They did have a used 800 for a decent price, but it's gone now.
I do like how they are selling some used 800 accessories.
I still love using the DFX, but since moving to Florida, I figure the beach would be a great training ground for the learning curve.
Thanks again, I'll keep you all posted with the results.
Carl

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input, had more comments on this posting than on some pretty decent finds I've posted in the past!
I'm still leaning towards Serious Detecting, they offer a decent bundle package at $949.00.
Big Boys has a decent package as well. They did have a used 800 for a decent price, but it's gone now.
I do like how they are selling some used 800 accessories.
I still love using the DFX, but since moving to Florida, I figure the beach would be a great training ground for the learning curve.
Thanks again, I'll keep you all posted with the results.
Carl
Always call to confirm price with any dealer. They can only post MAP pricing on the web but over the phone you may get a better deal. You may also get a used unit that isn't listed yet.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serious Detecting is Andy Sabish, and he has a nice used 800 on ebay right now if you want a deal. Also check your local craigslist, I just got a nice 800 only used a few times but only two months warranty left for $500. Got a one month old one two years ago for $750, both on craigslist.

FWIW - I confirmed with Andy Sabisch that he is not affiliated with Serious Detecting and has a separate business though they were located in the same proximity at one time (Andy has since moved out of Michigan). Andy and Serious Detecting have significantly different business models and inventories and I have had good success dealing with both.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions