Help me decide 600 vs 800

1k9

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2021
Oahu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to decide what to purchase either a Minelab Nox 600 or 800.
This will be my first MD and I want to be sure I won’t be sorry in the long run. I plan on using it mainly at the beach and in the sand in Hawaii.
The two detectors I’m leaning toward are the 600 or 800, and cost is a factor, but satisfaction is the main factor.
For those who have the 600 and 800 is there that much difference you have noted?
And for those who bought the 600 vs 800 or vice versa are you sorry you didn’t buy the other?
And lastly is there any others I should consider?
Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bit the bullet and went with the 800. One of the main reasons was the wireless headphones. I really don't like being tethered to the unit. There are a few other operational differences that are attractive also.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with bayou, my excal was a pain in the a$$, constantly tugging on coil cord

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the 600 because it was the only one I could get my hands on when they first released. Now I'm toying with the idea of getting the 800 because it has 10 recovery numbers as opposed to the 600's 3. That seems like it would make a difference to exactly match recovery speed to the amount of iron around. That is the only thing I want from the 800.

I don't care about fixing where the tone breaks are, I bought the Minelab bluetooth headphones, I don't think about manual threshold, and I'm not certain if I'd use the manual noise cancel (I might be missing something there), no use for different back lights or a few extra user profiles, I wouldn't use the stand alone 20 and 40 kHz (no gold around here). The multi-frequency is exactly the same on both machines. I use that and some stand alone low frequencies like 4 and 5 kHz. BUT, like I said, the 10 adjustment increments vs the 2 is enough for me to consider getting an 800.

Good luck!

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went with the 800 and haven't looked back. The key selling point for me was the wireless headphones and the multitude of other setting options was just a bonus.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bought the 800, still learning the machine, so far so good!

Esto Perpetua

Greenie
Feb 8, 2021
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 - Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as the above - 800 here, still learning. It's a fine machine though, I'll say that!

I like the wireless module with my old school corded phones & the Minelab BT headphones are a nice addition too.... never though the cord was actually annoying, but in hindsight - it was.

Hard to go wrong with either IMHO, so I bit the bullet for the extra features and package deal from BBH. The "user" save feature is cool also.... and I believe that is only on the 8. For the long run, I'd go with the 800 - I also live in gold country, so nugget shooting was a big factor for me.

One extra tip - plan on getting yourself a good pinpointer (Garrett / Etc.) - and factor that in to the cost, and what you are willing to spend. Plus sand scoops, and whatever else all the beach hunters use.... (I live in the desert, so no help there.) You can spend a good bit of money on this hobby, but unlike others.... you can make that back with some good finds.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I bought the 600 first, then a used 800. The headphones with the 800 work but you can buy different HPs which are better. I personally will grab my 600 as fast as the 800. I don't need more recovery speed nor the added frequencies. I would just save the bucks and get the 600.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made the right choice. I also toyed with the idea of purchasing the 600 but am glad that I didn't. For the extra 300 dollars, you get more options, like more frequencies, more user adjustable settings. The wireless blue tooth headphones. The WM 08 module for wired headphones. The 2 gold modes if you decide to go gold prospecting with your detector. It's just an all around better set up. I'm so glad that I spent the extra bucks and got the 800. Now I don't have to look back and say ... if only I bought the 800. In the long run, you saved yourself 600 dollars because you bought the 800 to begin with.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made the right choice. I also toyed with the idea of purchasing the 600 but am glad that I didn't. For the extra 300 dollars, you get more options, like more frequencies, more user adjustable settings. The wireless blue tooth headphones. The WM 08 module for wired headphones. The 2 gold modes if you decide to go gold prospecting with your detector. It's just an all around better set up. I'm so glad that I spent the extra bucks and got the 800. Now I don't have to look back and say ... if only I bought the 800. In the long run, you saved yourself 600 dollars because you bought the 800 to begin with.
That's the big question, how much difference? If you can find a good deal on the 800 it may not be all that much more than the 600 and if you add the headphones you may be close to the same price and get more for your money. Even if you don't need all the options now you never know what the future may bring.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 600 because it was the only one I could get my hands on when they first released. Now I'm toying with the idea of getting the 800 because it has 10 recovery numbers as opposed to the 600's 3. That seems like it would make a difference to exactly match recovery speed to the amount of iron around. That is the only thing I want from the 800.

I don't care about fixing where the tone breaks are, I bought the Minelab bluetooth headphones, I don't think about manual threshold, and I'm not certain if I'd use the manual noise cancel (I might be missing something there), no use for different back lights or a few extra user profiles, I wouldn't use the stand alone 20 and 40 kHz (no gold around here). The multi-frequency is exactly the same on both machines. I use that and some stand alone low frequencies like 4 and 5 kHz. BUT, like I said, the 10 adjustment increments vs the 2 is enough for me to consider getting an 800.

Good luck!
You might like having those 2 highest frequencies of 20Khz & 40Khz to verify if that target under your coil is a gold chain or gold bullion bar.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the Equinox and the other capable value detectors that followed it (Simplex+, Vanquish, and Apex), I would normally advise a new detectorist to make a smaller investment in a new machine until they are sure detecting is really for them. New detectorists, lured by the ridiculous reality TV and clown posse Youtubers treasure hunting videos get the mistaken impression that targets just continuously jump out of the ground, which couldn't be further from the truth. A lot of pull tabs, bottlecaps, can slaw, nails, and other junk are dug for every keeper target. So if that turns out to be a drag, less is lost when you try to sell it or throw it in a dusty corner in the garage. But even after you experience the reality of detecting and still have the bug, you will eventually want a detector with more features than the modest first investment.

Equinox changed that equation for several reasons. It is very versatile, it is relatively easy to just turn on and go detect with default settings, it has advanced features that can be explored when you get proficient, and it retains it resale value. So Equinox is the way to go because you don't have to compromise on that first step. I advise getting the 800 if you want maximum versatility for land, water, salt, and gold hunting (gold mode is NOT just for prospecting btw - I've used it for gold coin and jewelry hunting as well as relic hunting for brass and lead). The main advantage beside the added Gold modes which have a different, useful audio scheme vs. the other modes) is the greater range and increments of adjustment for recovery speed and iron bias, which enable you to better fine tune the machine for different situations as you get more proficient and you get the wireless accessories included which ML sells as stand alone accessories at ridiculous prices. And since it is probably one of the most popular detectors around (for good reason), you will have no trouble selling it if detecting turns out to only be a temporary thing. In fact, ML just upped the price on the 800 by $50 which speaks to its popularity but is also not great for those trying to buy one now. You get a pretty good value with the 600 and it will likely cover most of your bases but I strongly suggest also investing in a good pair of wireless Bluetooth APTX-LL (LOW LATENCY) headphones. Low latency is key, even though you can pair any BT headphone to Equinox, the delays associated with generic non-latency BT headphones doesn't work well for pinpointing targets as you swing the coil. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the 800 because if you don't, you will be playing the 'should have' game. The headphone solution is better with the 800, I don't like tethers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread