Nox 800 out of warranty pod replacement info.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE.....If you buy an out of warranty replacement pod, it will carry a 3-year warranty. If you buy the refurbished unit, it will carry a one year warranty. The batteries are $30 and can be purchased through either the repair center or your dealer. You do not have to send in the old battery, but she did recommend that the repair center do the replacement. It wasn't required, only recommended. You cannot buy a replacement pod without sending in a defective unit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Dan. They are being generous with the 1 year on the refurbished unit. Heck, most used cars even only carry a 30 day warranty. And then try to collect on it. But thing is, you shouldn't have to be buying any replacement parts on it. I never had any problems with the four other brands I have owned through the years.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I bought the 3030 brand new..removed it from the box charged it (no charge)called dealer got new battery(no charge)called ML got another battery(no charge)it was defective charger. I thought to myself where is the QC inspection here ..I returned it

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I bought the 3030 brand new..removed it from the box charged it (no charge)called dealer got new battery(no charge)called ML got another battery(no charge)it was defective charger. I thought to myself where is the QC inspection here ..I returned it

Did you think that because you thought you were sent three defective batteries or because they kept sending batteries no questions asked (implying they were not concerned in the least that you were getting defective batteries) but did not bother to ask you to troubleshoot the charger (how did you figure that out btw).

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V. After one to two months I told ML it’s not working so they said let’s try a charger..Now I’m thinking if this was made and packaged this way how come there was no inline quality inspection performed,,My company builds medical devices that goes into the testers for the US Blood Bank and other devices as well that saves lives.After each step a quality inspection is performed..
It has to start at the Top management level,,Im sure they are well aware of the quality problems

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seems like ML is starting to see the forums! Beats buying a entire detector again!

Josh

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, say you're ready to fly to your dream detector spot in the Caribbean, and the machine has to go back to the factory. Then its time to switch brands. None of the detectors I have had in now 40 years ever had the problems these are having. Ever.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, say you're ready to fly to your dream detector spot in the Caribbean, and the machine has to go back to the factory. Then its time to switch brands. None of the detectors I have had in now 40 years ever had the problems these are having. Ever.

Yes Smokey you got that right! With detecting in Mexico for so many years it is a very lonely feeling when you are there for four months in the winter and something breaks. I was forced to get another Equinox because one can not be trusted. Over the years I have done lots of modifications for strength and durability on detectors and that has only been exacerbated with the Equinox.
Different rod set-up, different cuff, coil ear reinforcement, separate hand grip to prevent the screws from pulling out of the base. And now that my machines are off warranty they only get cleaned with a damp cloth!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my digging friends after watching me with my XP Deus made their Equinoxes the backup machine and bought the Deus. I think the one guy still uses his at the beach. The rest of us don't do beaches enough to worry about it. Two friends even sold their 800's. But we're looking for higher priced OLD stuff not junk out of new parks.

MIDALAKE, why didn't you buy another brand, any other brand?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V. After one to two months I told ML it’s not working so they said let’s try a charger..Now I’m thinking if this was made and packaged this way how come there was no inline quality inspection performed,,My company builds medical devices that goes into the testers for the US Blood Bank and other devices as well that saves lives.After each step a quality inspection is performed..
It has to start at the Top management level,,Im sure they are well aware of the quality problems

Looks like one dud charger in the box of an Australian designed detector, manufactured in Malaysia that was improperly diagnosed by US tech support. Really hard to draw a straight line and make a conclusion about quality control off one data point (sounds more like a tech support level of knowledge problem). Trying to extrapolate your one CTX experience to Equinox may or not be valid.

As you know working for a company that produces safety critical grade equipment (other examples besides medical include the transportation related industries incuding aircraft systems, power plants, fire protection, etc.) that a lot of $ must be invested to establish effective quality control in manufacturing where lives are on the line. This obviously detracts from the bottom line. When it comes to consumer electronics, with the exception of the electrical safety, the safety critical nature of the product is practically nil. So good business practice dictates that the company will trade quality control against customer satisfaction to find the proper balance.

I would argue here that is exactly what ML has done with Equinox. They know there is something going on with either quality or design and have decided to just take care of it with commitment to honor the warranty and to provide somewhat reasonably priced out of warranty replacement parts. Again perspective is important. ML knows better than to let the quality get so bad that it affects sales, and, so far, that has not been the case so they are in the sweet spot (still probably only a low percentage of users having these problems and the seem to mainly follow the folks who put the most stress on the detector - daily salt water hunters. No matter the machine, salt water hunting puts the most stress on any detector design).

If ML decided to up quality or the design itself, the upshot would be a more expensive detector, that obviously also would have an impact on sales. This is all just business 101 and it "looks" worse because forum posts will be biased to the detector failure horror stories. And, with Equinox, there are some real doozies, unfortunately. But again, likely a small subset of users from what I can tell.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customer Satisfaction in my opinion should be primary with whatever one wants to buy..i

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my digging friends after watching me with my XP Deus made their Equinoxes the backup machine and bought the Deus. I think the one guy still uses his at the beach. The rest of us don't do beaches enough to worry about it. Two friends even sold their 800's. But we're looking for higher priced OLD stuff not junk out of new parks.

MIDALAKE, why didn't you buy another brand, any other brand?

Fair enough question. I only hunt salt water beaches I have a VERY limited choice. So three years ago there is no question the Equinox was the best choice [for me] Now there is another machine. It is built 100% better and performance is comparable. However, all of my mods and learning curve on what will break is over so I hope for continued success with the Equinox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIDALAKE, what other machine, the new Fisher? While the ocean is not that far from me, I do not like going in the water. When my Deus breaks, if it breaks, I will probably hang up the hobby permanently. I had to retire early due to the spinal arthritis and can only do 2-3 hours at a time now. Getting old sucks.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my Equinox 600 this spring, bought it when it first came out, never a single problem. My warranty was just days away from expiring though. Will likely get the 600 or 800 again when i go to purchase another.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIDALAKE, what other machine, the new Fisher? While the ocean is not that far from me, I do not like going in the water. When my Deus breaks, if it breaks, I will probably hang up the hobby permanently. I had to retire early due to the spinal arthritis and can only do 2-3 hours at a time now. Getting old sucks.

No the Fisher prototype is junk and is for specialized uses too much. Weather they dial this in for commercial rollout is to be seen yet.
The other machine is the Tarsacci. The Tarsacci is a real salt water machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midalake, I think Vferrari had one. I'm not very sure. Try talking to him.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midalake, I think Vferrari had one. I'm not very sure. Try talking to him.

Actually Vferrari had two and my friend bought one. I spent about 70 hours on his Tarsacci and understand its ability.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Were the other failures due to water? This is a known problem. They should extend your warranty and fix it for free. If they don't I'd sell the rest of the parts and buy a different brand. Why would you think the new one would be any different?

When I got a new control unit due to water problem in my second year I ask them if they new control unit had a 3 year warranty, and they said no, just what was remaining on my original warranty. That sucks.

Now my 800 head unit never goes underwater any more. Just the shaft and coil when I am wading in knee deep water. They should have never sold the 800 as a submersible detector. Far from being one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread