Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that area dig it all...

Thx rogue, will do. Google Earth shows an ol building in the trees, plus when I went back in the timeline I saw th out line of a foundation. Looking forward to the hunt, but not the ticks. Someone posted on the Hoover Boys Facebook page that a product called Sauyers works well to repel ticks.

rogue

Mar 11, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f70,f75se,t2se,f22,f2,at pro, xp deus, nox 800, whites TDI sl special edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx rogue, will do. Google Earth shows an ol building in the trees, plus when I went back in the timeline I saw th out line of a foundation. Looking forward to the hunt, but not the ticks. Someone posted on the Hoover Boys Facebook page that a product called Sauyers works well to repel ticks.

[h=1]Sawyer Permethrin Clothing and Fabric Insect Repellent Trigger Spray get it at walmart spray your clothes the night before...dont spray it on you.. Ive been using it for years and it is the best..[/h]

rogue

Mar 11, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f70,f75se,t2se,f22,f2,at pro, xp deus, nox 800, whites TDI sl special edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1ef44716-c119-494b-8be6-b11da7930743_1.c04c382aab1dc17d5b33117d1a728dae.jpeg
    1ef44716-c119-494b-8be6-b11da7930743_1.c04c382aab1dc17d5b33117d1a728dae.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an update on my trip to Buckingham county site. In short, no finds, but learned a valuable lesson. I guess spending so much time watching youtube videos, i.e., The Hoover Boys, that I assumed the ground would be easy digging. Not so, it was full of rock. First hit on my nox, I picked up my shovel, put my foot on it, and bout fell over. Did not penetrate a 1/4”. Tried again, no luck. Fortunately I brought along my sons pick so I beat the ground into submission and came up with a flat beer can. Tried a few other areas but it was all the same, trash or shotgun shells. Wearing jeans, long sleeve shirt, and high top boots (snakes), it was hot, My 70yr old body couldn’t swing the pick anymore, so I left after 3hours. Didn’t go into the woods, it was thick, and I don’t get along with snakes (I was by my self, snake bite might not work out well being alone). So, The lesson I learned was that the videos I watch are people detecting old home yards, and plowed fields, little to no rock. Here is a pic of the old house(snakes live in it now according to owner):

d0cf5bab-14a5-4778-8658-c4d2f571582f

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an update on my trip to Buckingham county site. In short, no finds, but learned a valuable lesson. I guess spending so much time watching youtube videos, i.e., The Hoover Boys, that I assumed the ground would be easy digging. Not so, it was full of rock. First hit on my nox, I picked up my shovel, put my foot on it, and bout fell over. Did not penetrate a 1/4”. Tried again, no luck. Fortunately I brought along my sons pick so I beat the ground into submission and came up with a flat beer can. Tried a few other areas but it was all the same, trash or shotgun shells. Wearing jeans, long sleeve shirt, and high top boots (snakes), it was hot, My 70yr old body couldn’t swing the pick anymore, so I left after 3hours. Didn’t go into the woods, it was thick, and I don’t get along with snakes (I was by my self, snake bite might not work out well being alone). So, The lesson I learned was that the videos I watch are people detecting old home yards, and plowed fields, little to no rock. Here is a pic of the old house(snakes live in it now according to owner):

d0cf5bab-14a5-4778-8658-c4d2f571582f

Whoops, try this:

435d1f0a-a9d9-4f0d-ab14-f2bcdb0d588e

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t know why pic doesn’t show up. Oh well, cool old house.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several reasons why early spring and fall are the ideal times of year for relic hunting. Pasture land and woods are tough sledding regardless of the time of year. I tend to stick to the beach in summer. If you can make it back in late fall or early spring you might have better digging conditions in the pasture land and can penetrate the woods.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several reasons why early spring and fall are the ideal times of year for relic hunting. Pasture land and woods are tough sledding regardless of the time of year. I tend to stick to the beach in summer. If you can make it back in late fall or early spring you might have better digging conditions in the pasture land and can penetrate the woods.

Will be back for Thanksgiving with the kids in Norfolk, should have time then. I did hit vb and ocean view beaches, enjoyed that as well. While driving back from buckingham, my sons neighbor called and said his friend that lives in FarmVille in a house that is over 200 yrs old said that next trip out I could detect his yard and pasture. Another possibility. Thx again for your sage advice.

steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve

Looks like you are getting some great additional permission leads so don’t get discouraged by this outing. Relic hunting is often hit or miss even under ideal conditions. Hope you have better luck and perhaps easier digging in November. Hang in there and hopefully you will get rewarded on the return trip.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I
Steve

Looks like you are getting some great additional permission leads so don?t get discouraged by this outing. Relic hunting is often hit or miss even under ideal conditions. Hope you have better luck and perhaps easier digging in November. Hang in there and hopefully you will get rewarded on the return trip.

Thx vf, not discouraged, learn from each hunt. Besides, what else would I do in retirement:laughing7::laughing7:

rogue

Mar 11, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now your talking...Farmville is a great area....I,ll throw some steaks on the bbq...lol..Great to meet you at the beach, sorry we didnt get to hunt together, my life is a mess with moving..we will do better at thanksgiving, and I'll give you a tour of saylers creek...

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now your talking...Farmville is a great area....I,ll throw some steaks on the bbq...lol..Great to meet you at the beach, sorry we didnt get to hunt together, my life is a mess with moving..we will do better at thanksgiving, and I'll give you a tour of saylers creek...

Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, at VB one of the coil ears broke off, the other cracked, so I had to epoxy some make shift ears back on so as not to miss the buckingham county hunt. Sent it back to minelab under warranty:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, at VB one of the coil ears broke off, the other cracked, so I had to epoxy some make shift ears back on so as not to miss the buckingham county hunt. Sent it back to minelab under warranty:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Update, Minelab received my coil yesterday, they shipped a new one today,great service

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, received my new replacement coil back today, great service from minelab.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like minelab has changed the design of the ears on my new coil coil, still very thin, are the aftermarket reinforcements worth installing?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure other than google earth view, which also shows partially treed. Thx for the advice, Steve

be careful with google earth, stuff that looks like maybe smooth pasture grass can actually be knee deep or deeper.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you are right at least in Georgia. on nextdoor.com in atlanta lots of pics of copper heads. my neighbor had one in his garage and fortunately he ran over it and killed it. about 1.5 feet long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread