coiltek 10 x 5 Nox vs 800 stock coil

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just buried 3 rosie dimes at 4", 6" and 8" so no halo effect.

10 x 5 and stock coil about the same on 4" and 6" but 10 x 5 got no signal at 8" and stock coil got just a high tone.

Surprise, but should not be, TID numbers change with depth change on coins. Since I mostly relic hunt and dig all most repeatable signals, forgot this. Hmm, maybe I am relying too much on TID numbers by ignoring 14-15 as pop tops and missing some good targets.

Did a test with my vanquish 440 and actually got a better 1 way signal on the 8" dime. Was surprised with the better clarity of tones on the Vanquish 440.

Hunting in multi and verifying coins in 4kHz where in 4kHz tones are better and and TID a little more stable.

So I can see guys digging coins or over a well baked in test garden getting decent signals on an 8" rosies.

The Coiltex is much easier on the arm and will improve even more when I get my carbon lower and upper rods from Steve.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of Settings did you have on?

I remember calabash digger steering us all away from anything except for the stock coil on the equinox for depth, and with iron nails nearby.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but for detecting purposes, the stock coil is best…( Smaller coils are awesome because they weigh less, and are easier on your human body. But for detecting purposes, the stock coil is best)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing.

The 10x5 would be a great coil to go in between trash.

I'll second the vanquish 440's power its a beast.

We are finding silver dimes at 8 inches with the vanquish with good repeatable tones.

Son dug a 1844 bank token yesterday with the vanquish in the 10 to 12 inch range.

Damn good metal detector.

Jer

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of Settings did you have on?

I remember calabash digger steering us all away from anything except for the stock coil on the equinox for depth, and with iron nails nearby.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but for detecting purposes, the stock coil is best…( Smaller coils are awesome because they weigh less, and are easier on your human body. But for detecting purposes, the stock coil is best)

I'm learning my new Equinox and certainly cannot profess to have the knowledge of its capability as Calabash. However, I have used various detectors for nearly 40 years and many coils. My opinion is that optional coils, both smaller and larger than the stock coil, may be more suited to specific situations than the coil supplied as standard equipment. No manufacturer knows how their equipment will be used. And this group shows great variation. At various times in the past, I have been rewarded by switching to a larger coil on a clean beach after winter storms, clean farmfields with no stubble, and smaller, even sniper, coils where trash was ubiquitous. I once hunted a frustratingly trashy spot with the standard coil, then put on a small sniper, and pulled out 9 barber dimes in less than an hour in the trash. That was not my new Equinox. I look forward to reading more about times when a smaller or larger Nox coil produced for its owner.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, right tools for the job at hand.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, and quite few people have told me that the 800 and stock coil are optimized for each other. However my relic hunting is in trashy areas with lots of brush and in rocky creeks. So those are the main reasons I think I will like the 10 x 5 coil. Time will tell. Just maybe it can separate good targets from the trash. In theory it should. Hope so.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, and quite few people have told me that the 800 and stock coil are optimized for each other. However my relic hunting is in trashy areas with lots of brush and in rocky creeks. So those are the main reasons I think I will like the 10 x 5 coil. Time will tell. Just maybe it can separate good targets from the trash. In theory it should. Hope so.

Looking forward to hearing your report - and any others comparing the 10x5 with the 11 and 6" Minelab coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread