Recovery speed questions

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Coiltek 5x10. Love it, better depth than you would think (good enough for most situations), decent 10" swing coverage (unlike that 6" round ML offers), sees less ground which is good in hot soil, and of course light weight. It really is a 9.5 x 5 coil with a footprint almost identical to the XP Deus HF elliptical. Anyway, it is not coming off the machine anytime soon unless I need the inch or two (give or take) additional depth capability the 11" provides.

Re: Gold mode. I use it a lot for relic hunting because lead and brass relics have conductivities similar to gold and are more reactive to the higher frequency dominated multifrequency profile programmed for Gold mode. No tone ID in Gold mode, though, as it solely uses a pseudo VCO pitch audio. But that audio combined with no disc horseshoe mode really allows you to hear squeaker targets vs. the discrete tone ID audio provided in the non gold modes (though 50 tones is pretty good). This audio really makes the site come alive with target signals strong and weak, which gives the detectorist a sensation of better depth performance or of being able to "see" all the targets in the ground. I wish the Gold mode VCO audio was an available audio option for Park/Field/Beach modes since they are not limited to operation at 20 khz and higher single frequencies like the Gold modes.

I don't really think of Gold mode as a silver slayer mode because the higher 40 khz frequency (which dominates the Gold mode multifrequency profile) is more limited in its depth pentration (that's just physics) than the lower frequency Multi modes (Park 1, Field 1, Beach) or low single frequency modes at 4 or 5 khz. If the targets are 6 inches or less, probably a non-issue and the maximum depth 40 khz can penetrate is highly variable depending on soil conditions, coil size, and target size/conductivity, so 6 inches may not be the ultimate depth limit in Gold mode.

Bottom line, Gold mode obviously works for more than just gold, including silver, given the right combination of environmental factors - that's why I try to let folks know when they are considering the 600 vs.the 800 not to dismiss gold mode as something they aren't going to use because they don't plan on natural gold prospecting. I think ML calling it Gold mode ignores the other detecting possibilities the mode brings to the table, unfortunately. That all being said, Gold mode is not necessarily the ideal choice across the board due to the physics depth limitations of the higher operating frequency and because VCO audio can be either limiting or enabling depending on the situation. Gold mode is definitely not stable or useful for high conductive alkaline soil or salt beach/water situations. Gold mode is a great complimentary relic mode to my primary relic go to mode of Field 2, under most conditions. Just my 2 cents.

I've kicked around getting the 10" x 5" and still might as I am giving up hope for the eventual release of an 8" coil for the EQ. I'm just not sure for what I'm doing and the methods that employ that a 10x5 is really going to offer me much help? Maybe on those trash lines.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've kicked around getting the 10" x 5" and still might as I am giving up hope for the eventual release of an 8" coil for the EQ. I'm just not sure for what I'm doing and the methods that employ that a 10x5 is really going to offer me much help? Maybe on those trash lines.

One thing, in the water there will be less coil drag. But I don't think that 8" coil is coming, might be the next best thing. Depth is decent for its size. Might be worth a shot, but you are having great success regardless. Not surprised by your depth in gold mode. In no mineral dirt/no salt dry beach sand, gold mode goes pretty deep!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing, in the water there will be less coil drag. But I don't think that 8" coil is coming, might be the next best thing. Depth is decent for its size. Might be worth a shot, but you are having great success regardless. Not surprised by your depth in gold mode. In no mineral dirt/no salt dry beach sand, gold mode goes pretty deep!

90% of my detecting is in the water, which is where most of the good stuff still remains these days. As you've already stated, if it's accessible then it's already been pounded to death and most of that older shallower stuff both land and water is already gone. Per example, I routinely recover smaller merc dimes at deeper depths but the larger target signatures are pretty much all gone. The reality is that good deep machines have been around for a long time and in my region detecting clubs were a big deal as far back into the 70's, probably longer, etc. So if I want consistent results then I pretty much have to get there by other methods and means. :laughing7:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are no free lunches however. A lot of folks here advising low recovery speeds as possible, while this "in theory" is somewhat true, there IS a downside to dialing down recovery speed (other than the obvious loss of separation ability) too far. As stated my ML in the Equinox manual, setting recovery speed too low can result in diminishing returns because ground noise (in mild to hot ground) starts to pick up - this is noticeable when running with no iron discrimination such as in horseshoe "no disc" mode (aka "all metal" even though it is NOT a true all metal mode). So setting recovery speed too low can actually be counterproductive to you goal of achieving max depth. Coil control and frequency setting are probably more important than dialing down recovery speed - I recommend no lower than 4 if you are using an 800. On a 600, "1" is not the same as a "1" recovery speed setting on the 800, so running "1" on the 600 is not as detrimental as running a "1" on the 800 as far as ground noise is concerned.

Frankly, I personally value separation over depth. Depth is overrated - over the past 20 years VLF Induction Balance detectors have been operating at their depth limit - there is no recent technological advancement that has appreciably improved depth. What this means is that spots that have been pounded for years by detectorists have given up most of their deep targets because they are detectable. What is left are the myriad of relatively shallow targets that are hiding in the trash and junk layers that have been invisible until technology recently improved signal processing speed and effectiveness enabling unmasking of shallow keepers. That is not to say that there are not deep targets out there that you should be pursuing (and you have been given a lot of good advice here), but setting up your detector for those few deep targets means it is likely set up the very opposite of what you would want to unmask the more numerous keepers that are hiding in the trash. Just some food for thought...FWIW

Vferrari is my go to person for metal detecting advice. I think he was raised with a detector in his hands. This is straight from the Minelab web site:

In my opinion, one of the best things about the new EQUINOX models are the well-designed factory presets. Note: these are set for higher recovery speeds. One of the biggest mistakes I see new users making is assuming the presets are not well thought out and immediately trying to come up with what they think are better settings. In particular, some owners of previous Minelab's seem determined to immediately go to slower recovery speeds seeking ?more depth?. Those doing so are ignoring one of EQUINOX's main advantages over other detectors.. This is truly a case where new owners should have a little faith in the presets and go with them initially.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably had my Equinox on a couple of dozen land hunts so I could have a feel for the machine before I started changing anything "to suit my pursuit, style, etc." And this is what I tell people is the most important thing in Mding......"figure out what works best for you." Does no good for someone to employ what works best for me or someone else. I've really come to believe this.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are no free lunches however. A lot of folks here advising low recovery speeds as possible, while this "in theory" is somewhat true, there IS a downside to dialing down recovery speed (other than the obvious loss of separation ability) too far. As stated my ML in the Equinox manual, setting recovery speed too low can result in diminishing returns because ground noise (in mild to hot ground) starts to pick up - this is noticeable when running with no iron discrimination such as in horseshoe "no disc" mode (aka "all metal" even though it is NOT a true all metal mode). So setting recovery speed too low can actually be counterproductive to you goal of achieving max depth. Coil control and frequency setting are probably more important than dialing down recovery speed - I recommend no lower than 4 if you are using an 800. On a 600, "1" is not the same as a "1" recovery speed setting on the 800, so running "1" on the 600 is not as detrimental as running a "1" on the 800 as far as ground noise is concerned.

Frankly, I personally value separation over depth. Depth is overrated - over the past 20 years VLF Induction Balance detectors have been operating at their depth limit - there is no recent technological advancement that has appreciably improved depth. What this means is that spots that have been pounded for years by detectorists have given up most of their deep targets because they are detectable. What is left are the myriad of relatively shallow targets that are hiding in the trash and junk layers that have been invisible until technology recently improved signal processing speed and effectiveness enabling unmasking of shallow keepers. That is not to say that there are not deep targets out there that you should be pursuing (and you have been given a lot of good advice here), but setting up your detector for those few deep targets means it is likely set up the very opposite of what you would want to unmask the more numerous keepers that are hiding in the trash. Just some food for thought...FWIW

I like your "food for thought" on this one. In metro Atlanta I am hunting CW relics behind some very good hunters in the 80's with good deep detectors in trashy suburban areas. This unmasking is the key item in 90% of my hunts. But before you laid this reply out before us, I was thinking like most were thinking, lets go deeper. Thus, from a previous PM with vferrari, I decided that going deeper at this point with a new 15 x 15" coiltek nox coil was not the answer at this point on my hunt sites. rather look for good targets that were difficult for the 80's hunters to locate unless they dug every signal. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I will be trying to find out this fall when the weather cools.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good post with GREAT info here. Thanks!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like your "food for thought" on this one. In metro Atlanta I am hunting CW relics behind some very good hunters in the 80's with good deep detectors in trashy suburban areas. This unmasking is the key item in 90% of my hunts. But before you laid this reply out before us, I was thinking like most were thinking, lets go deeper. Thus, from a previous PM with vferrari, I decided that going deeper at this point with a new 15 x 15" coiltek nox coil was not the answer at this point on my hunt sites. rather look for good targets that were difficult for the 80's hunters to locate unless they dug every signal. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I will be trying to find out this fall when the weather cools.
Well cool weather is here. Using the 10 x 5" coiltek coil and love it. Also learned to keep the threshold on which tells me how much target/junk is below the coil and I adjust my sensitivity, recovery speed and FE2 accordingly. Also hit the horseshoe button from time to time to see how much iron is below my coil. I use the threshold like an additional 800 gauge to help me make correct settings. I mainly hunt relics and you can move from a real trashy site to a almost clean site in a few feet. This is working well for me. Found a fired Maynard Civil War bullet. That is a big deal for me in Metro Atlanta.

langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I run a lower recovery speed and slow down my swing speed it should increase my depth right?
Any other tips for increasing depth.
Thanks MackDdog
Yes , that’s correct , and lower iron bias to zero .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions