Very Slight Chatter/Instability

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I intentionally run a tad of chatter on my Whites M6 and it makes the tone volume on deeper targets tones bigger. I have always set the Equinox as silent as possible, but in testing on my buried 9 inch silver dime, I tried setting the sensitivity one number more than silent, giving me a slight chatter. Maybe it isn't a good practice, but it did give a very noticeable target volume on the deep dime, and I could swing higher above the ground there and still get tone-range. I worry some though how it will possibly effect the masked, shallower targets, running multi-freq. Do y'all ever allow just a little bit of chatter?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not exactly sure which setting you're talking about....Threshold? Sensitivity? Threshold volume (or lack thereof) is more of a personal thing. I've always run a threshold hum on every machine I've owned. I'm just not comfortable with silent search. As for sensitivity, I can handle a slight bit of chatter, but, prefer it to be stable. About the only time I run some chatter is in an area with known deep targets, where I'm trying to squeeze every bit of depth I can get. Chatter after a while can be very fatiguing though.....

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I?ve messed around with bumping up the sensitivity hoping to find more targets at some of my pounded sites, no luck. I find sticking with 21 finds the deep stuff and shallow. When I have gone back over these areas cranking to 24-25 I never find those hidden deep targets. Actually have had better luck doing the opposite. Try dropping down to 12-15 sensitivity and go slow. You?ll be surprised at how deep it still goes and what pops. I think the lower power unmasks the iron hold on some targets.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensitivity is a sensitive issue. Even on the same ground sometimes I can run a little more, sometimes have to run less. More sensitivity is never a good idea in trashy ground or when seeking masked targets. Your goal should always be to achieve the most stable and efficient search field possible and that can change from one day to the next even over the same ground.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer a "calmer" set machine. If I suspect I've got something deep I bump up the sensitivity to check it. Very rarely does it get any better on a good target for me. I still try it though.... just in case... ha ha

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not exactly sure which setting you're talking about....Threshold? Sensitivity? Threshold volume (or lack thereof) is more of a personal thing. I've always run a threshold hum on every machine I've owned. I'm just not comfortable with silent search. As for sensitivity, I can handle a slight bit of chatter, but, prefer it to be stable. About the only time I run some chatter is in an area with known deep targets, where I'm trying to squeeze every bit of depth I can get. Chatter after a while can be very fatiguing though.....

I have recently started running threshold hum on my 800. Gives me a much better idea on how much is below my coil and I set my sensitivity, recovery speed and FE2 accordingly. Lots of targets, drop my sensitivity some, increase my recovery speed for masked good targets. not many targets increase my sensitivity and slow down my recovery speed for deeper targets. When hunting in woods or fields and hear more stuff below my coil, I know I may be getting into an area of increased possible good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread