2 Tones on E Trac
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By marjam
  • 1 Post By marjam
  • 3 Post By marjam
  • 1 Post By charlives
  • 2 Post By Jaysix
  • 1 Post By cooper1841

Thread: 2 Tones on E Trac

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2012
    196 times
    Relic Hunting

2 Tones on E Trac

Hello, Do you folks ever use "2 tones" (not named well-it's actually 2 pitches) on the e trac? Do you lose something by doing this? Do the 2 pitches actually change tone? Like thin tone on deep targets etc.

Nov 2012
    279 times
    I use ttc or two tones ferrous in heavy iron or trashy areas. Sometimes you can pick out goodies in amongst it. Listen for the high tones in amongst the low grunts and pay attention to the target id. If you have a smaller coil also, pair it up with these settings. Try to hone in on the high tone where you get a repeatable signal. Some people love ttf so much that that is all they hunt in. I like multi better but this definitely has its place.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Ogre1190 and cudamark like this.

Nov 2012
    279 times
    Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting.

Ogre1190 likes this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    2397 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good tip, Marjam. Gotta give that a try next time out. Thanks! 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Tired Rooster

Nov 2011
    Alabama
    Minelabs and Tesoros Several of them....
    704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I second what marjam said. I also use 2TF many times, as many of the places that I end up hunting are very iron infested. I will also use 4TF often as well. You just have to try and see what works out best for you.
    ​Deo Vindice

Nov 2012
    279 times
    I haven't used it alot but what I will do is switch back and forth on a target, from ttf to multi when I do just to see what it sounds like in that setting. It really can pick out good items better IMO in junk, the ttf that is, at least that is my experience.

One site i was hunting in multi and I couldn't get a decent signal, so i switched over to ttf, and just a few minutes later, I pulled out a nice v nickel in amongst a load of iron. You have to go over the targets and when you hear that high tone mixed in with the grunts, hone in on that area. Use the minelab wiggle to pinpoint instead of the pinpoint on the machine. You do that by just barely moving the coil back and forth towards you until the sound disappears, and you dig right in front of the coil.

us
    Jan 2012
    196 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thank you, fellas! My T2 has a 2+(plus) option where you hear a low pitch for iron and high pitch for non-ferrous...BUT, the two pitches have infinite "tones." The pitches can be longer or shorter, clipped, weak, full, depending on the depth, size, etc of the target. This is a GREAT feature once you learn the language. My Ace series detectors only have a low pitch and a high pitch ("bell tone"). They didn't change tone at all. My question was- does the etrac have this feature or not?....and I think Marjam may have answered it- "Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting." I just want to confirm this. Thank you!!
    1stsniper likes this.

Nov 2012
    279 times
    Yes, two tones only in ttf. Its the way it finds the goodies in junk that makes it special.

us
    Dec 2016
    Portage, pa
    Minelab Etrac (current) Garrett At Pro (previous)
    666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I use nothing but ttf. Last year and the year before, I used multi conductive and found hardly anything good. This year I switched over to ttf and am up to almost 60 silvers so far.
    RobRieman and Diggin-N-Dumps like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    Minelab CTX 3030.... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
    2289 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I use it relic hunting old home sites.......not so much in parks and places like that
    Showtime2385 likes this.
    1844 Canadian Half Cent ... (2) 1859 Canadian Large Cent... 1873 Three Cent Nickle... 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece... 1858 Seated Half Dime... 1875 Seated Half Dollar... 1863 Fatty IH ... Civil War Eagle I button ... Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

us
    May 2017
    Lapeer County, Michigan
    Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
    96 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by charlives View Post
    Thank you, fellas! My T2 has a 2+(plus) option where you hear a low pitch for iron and high pitch for non-ferrous...BUT, the two pitches have infinite "tones." The pitches can be longer or shorter, clipped, weak, full, depending on the depth, size, etc of the target. This is a GREAT feature once you learn the language. My Ace series detectors only have a low pitch and a high pitch ("bell tone"). They didn't change tone at all. My question was- does the etrac have this feature or not?....and I think Marjam may have answered it- "Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting." I just want to confirm this. Thank you!!
    On the E-trac, for tones, you can set it to "Normal" or "Long" and there is another setting or two more to drag the tone out for a longer period of time.

Sponsored Links