2 Tones on E Trac

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I use ttc or two tones ferrous in heavy iron or trashy areas. Sometimes you can pick out goodies in amongst it. Listen for the high tones in amongst the low grunts and pay attention to the target id. If you have a smaller coil also, pair it up with these settings. Try to hone in on the high tone where you get a repeatable signal. Some people love ttf so much that that is all they hunt in. I like multi better but this definitely has its place.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good tip, Marjam. Gotta give that a try next time out. Thanks! 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second what marjam said. I also use 2TF many times, as many of the places that I end up hunting are very iron infested. I will also use 4TF often as well. You just have to try and see what works out best for you.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I haven't used it alot but what I will do is switch back and forth on a target, from ttf to multi when I do just to see what it sounds like in that setting. It really can pick out good items better IMO in junk, the ttf that is, at least that is my experience.

One site i was hunting in multi and I couldn't get a decent signal, so i switched over to ttf, and just a few minutes later, I pulled out a nice v nickel in amongst a load of iron. You have to go over the targets and when you hear that high tone mixed in with the grunts, hone in on that area. Use the minelab wiggle to pinpoint instead of the pinpoint on the machine. You do that by just barely moving the coil back and forth towards you until the sound disappears, and you dig right in front of the coil.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you, fellas! My T2 has a 2+(plus) option where you hear a low pitch for iron and high pitch for non-ferrous...BUT, the two pitches have infinite "tones." The pitches can be longer or shorter, clipped, weak, full, depending on the depth, size, etc of the target. This is a GREAT feature once you learn the language. My Ace series detectors only have a low pitch and a high pitch ("bell tone"). They didn't change tone at all. My question was- does the etrac have this feature or not?....and I think Marjam may have answered it- "Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting." I just want to confirm this. Thank you!!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Yes, two tones only in ttf. Its the way it finds the goodies in junk that makes it special.

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use nothing but ttf. Last year and the year before, I used multi conductive and found hardly anything good. This year I switched over to ttf and am up to almost 60 silvers so far.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use it relic hunting old home sites.......not so much in parks and places like that

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, fellas! My T2 has a 2+(plus) option where you hear a low pitch for iron and high pitch for non-ferrous...BUT, the two pitches have infinite "tones." The pitches can be longer or shorter, clipped, weak, full, depending on the depth, size, etc of the target. This is a GREAT feature once you learn the language. My Ace series detectors only have a low pitch and a high pitch ("bell tone"). They didn't change tone at all. My question was- does the etrac have this feature or not?....and I think Marjam may have answered it- "Also it is just like it sounds, low grunts for iron, all non ferrous targets have a single high tone. Aluminum, coins, gold, etc. all have the same high tone in this setting." I just want to confirm this. Thank you!!

On the E-trac, for tones, you can set it to "Normal" or "Long" and there is another setting or two more to drag the tone out for a longer period of time.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran in TTF with a 6" coil in iron areas for years - what a fantastic program !
The E-Trac is hands down one of the best metal detectors ever made but it's has a slower recovery speed than a lot of the newer machines.
From what I've been told ... running in 2 tones rather than multi-tones lowers the work load on the processor an allows for a faster recovery speed on the targets.

Good Hunting !

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried TTF with 5 inch Sunray coil yesterday. I liked the setup and will try it some more in trashy areas. I only managed a wheat and some clad but was great to get out.

Will try again soon

Pete

Nanner13

Apr 25, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett At pro, Fishers f 22, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not been using etrac very long but what I did learn is I try and get a good repeatable signal... On 2 tone. As soon as I get it to repeat I switch over to multi conductive... If I get the same signal I open up the discrimination to see if I get the same repeatable signal then I tend to look at the ID last before I dig.

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Been swinging an Etrac since 2014. Just started using TTF a cpl of days ago. Immediately pulled a '56 Rosie and two 'wheaties'...'09 and '44 from an old school yard. No 'S' on the '09, so no 'VDB'. :thumb_down: Have now read quite a bit about TTF and believe I will use it in "high iron/trash" along with a mostly 'open' discrimination mode. Trying to avoid shallow targets and going deep for the older/silver stuff. HH and stay well!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread