Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like some input on aftermarket search coils in the 11" to 13" range for deep coin hunting in low to moderate trash and mild soil conditions.

Read some reviews on the Sunray X-12 that sound good, but this info is going on 8 or so years old. I'm sure there have been other good coils to hit the market since then.

These 4 coils look promising.
-Sunray X-12
-Detech ultimate 13"
-NEL Thunder
-NEL Tornado

Input and opinions please!
If there are any other coils that would also do a good job, feel free to enlighten me....

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will gain some depth in my short experience, but get better coverage.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In low trash, I'd go even bigger. The 15" NEL Attack coil works great. Much better coverage and still sensitive to small targets. Adds to the weight though, so, you might want a sling if you're a wimp like me! :laughing7:

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried all of the coils you listed except the Thunder. I stronger prefer the NEL Tornado for depth.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the 13 inch Detech coil and never found any deep coins.
The Etrac coil that comes with the Etrac got me 6 Indian Head cents and wheat cents at 14 inches deep.
Not very likely you will find much of anything deeper than that.
I feel i wasted my money and i took a big loss selling it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got the NEL Storm on my PRO and can swing it about 3 to 4 hours. It gets a little toe heavy after a while but it is deep depending on settings. I've got the Tornado on my F75 and it fairly balanced and deep also depending on settings but EMI is a problem. Pretty sure that coil is 12" so it catches the power lines feedback. Bottom line. They are a little deeper but heavier.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i found that my 13in is just to heavy,so i find that i can do alot more ground with my 6x8.so at the end of the day they are about the same,never found any real deep with the 13in.
good luck brad

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really liked the Sunday 12” coil on my Explorers and E-Trac. It’s lighter than the other coils you mentioned. I used mine mainly for beach detecting because it was way lighter than my 15” WOT coil. Got a gold chain one time with the Sunday coil. Had my buddy, who was swinging the WOT on his Explorer, go over the chain. He had to rub the coil on the chain to get a response. I was getting it loud and clear at 2-3 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread