Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a Sun Ray x-1 probe and will be heading out with it to a new permission tomorrow. I am looking for your tips and tricks, advice, warnings and experiences with it ....but I guess I should be looking for metal with it :tongue3:

Any knowledge you wish to pass along would be awesome!

Thanks!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im watching this post too. I do not own one.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use mine more for the ease of swapping out coils. With that said tho..... don't forget to flip the switch when you need to use it and double don't forget when you are done with it....lol Keep in mind that the probe works however you have your etrac set up for....discrimination, 2 tone ferrous, etc or what ever your machine is set up for. THAT is the real advantage of the X-1............

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A stand alone pinpointer is faster for shallow targets. I normally only use the probe for deep targets that I suspect may be silver.

In order to keep from detecting with the switch flipped the wrong way, I have gotten into the habit of flipping the switch before I put the probe back into the clamps.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re going to love it. Wish they still made them for the Minelabs, especially the CTX. Your poster Oneguy made me smile because I remember many a time where I detected for 5-10 minutes with the pinpointer still switched on:laughing7:. Trust me you’re going to do it too. :laughing7:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They're handy to have on the deep stuff. I have three...on an Explorer XS, Se Pro and Etrac.

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on my 2nd or third Sunray X-1 probe. I recently just purchased another one for my new etrac from a member here (Bayard), great transaction by the way.

Like many, I mainly purchased it for the ease of changing coils when the situation warrants it. I find it detects a little deeper than my Garrett Carrot, and using it in pinpoint mode, I'm less likely to put a smiley face on a valuable coin; like I did with a mint 1907-D Barber half dollar, that made me sick!

At my age every ounce counts, but it's worth it to accurately pinpoint a valuable target not to damage it. BTW... Don't ask how many steps I've taken swinging the MD with the switch in pinpoint mode :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread