E-Trac Issue

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Saturday, I took my E-Trac out for a hunt in the nice warm weather. After about 45 minutes, it turned off with the same tone you hear when the battery is low. I tried to turn it back on and it did the same thing, but the screen said "Over Voltage" and it shut off. I went home, tried another battery pack (from my Explorer) and it did the same thing. Then I got the backup pack and put 8 brand new Duracell batteries in it and it did the same thing again.
I did a reset and it booted, but it shows that the battery is "dead" - no bars in the battery symbol, no matter which battery pack is put in it. I haven't tried to do a factory reset, but I doubt it will help.

Is there any fix for this? I've called the repair center and left a message, but don't expect to hear back from them for a long time due to the virus. What can I do?

Scott

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: On Saturday, I called Minelab support and left a message. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call back from them and received a ticket to send the machine in for repair. Now I just have to find a box big enough to put everything other than the rods into.

Scott

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had to send My at pro in before our machines will break down every once in a while at least you have a back up machine. Hope it doesnt take to long to fix it for you. Tommy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of AA batteries are you using, AAs designed for cameras are too hot and will give you over voltage alarms, check your batteries first, might save you shopping it off, check each battery with volt meter and see if any are over 1.5 volts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought brand new Duracell's. I've used them before and never had any issues. Since it does the same thing with both the battery pack that came with it and the battery pack that I had from my Explorer, I doubt it's the Duracell batteries. Good thought, though. I hate to be without the detector for a couple of weeks. I still need to find a box to ship it in, too.

Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought brand new Duracell's. I've used them before and never had any issues. Since it does the same thing with both the battery pack that came with it and the battery pack that I had from my Explorer, I doubt it's the Duracell batteries. Good thought, though. I hate to be without the detector for a couple of weeks. I still need to find a box to ship it in, too.

Scott

If it was me I would test batteries with a volt meter, one battery running hot can give you over voltage alarm. AAs used for cameras are hotter than the standard AA battery was an example, not guaranteeing that is the problem, only that was a know problem. Good luck...….

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I sent the machine in for repair. It turns out it was a break in the coil / cable. It took them a few days to find it because it was intermittent. They also said the battery was weak (only ran for about 2 - 3 hours before running down). So, for $252, I got a new coil and battery and it is on it's way back. I should have it on Saturday, so I can use it for most of the holiday weekend!

Scott

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Always good news that they found a problem and can repair it.
Its a detector worth fixing.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Good information about the coil/cable shorting. That problem can pop up for anyone's machine. I'll remember to try another coil if those symptoms happen.

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it back on Saturday afternoon. I used it on Sunday and Monday as long as I could take the heat. It works like new!

John did say it was hard to find the problem as it was intermittent. He ran it for a couple of days before it happened. He was very good at communicating with me about how it was going. I definitely recommend them. Very good and professional.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread