Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, i start another post here since the warm welcome with my overseas artefacts. :thumbsup:
I got permission on a new farm here and was expecting early medieval metal finds. What i got was a beauty of a brown flint axe before the plough broke it. Happy with it anyway!

in situ
35356563oq.jpg

35356564ck.jpg

35356565et.jpg

What metal would be sharp as flint after laying in the ground for 6000 years?
35356572rg.jpg

For the interested: A site with information to continental europe flint. If the page doesn't open at first click LOUSBERG in the navigation left. That is the flint this axe head is made of. Lousberg was a neolithic flint mine. Very interesting read!
http://www.flintsource.net/flint/D_lous.html

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice bit! Good point on stone vs metal!

Looks like the bit of what we would call a Celt. An axe without a groove.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

Thread moved to our new European Ancient Artifact forum.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find!

I am more familiar with the flint axes from Denmark, and those can be quite long. Do you have the whole axe there or just the bit?

From the ones i found all are broken close to the edge. I start thinking they aren't broken by the plough rather than broken during use. Must be a weak spot as it's close to the handle. These don't were very long, about 6".
We have the long ones too, but made of rock and assumed to be more decoration/grave goods than working tools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread