Mongolia, China, Kazakhstan Neolithic

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I have posted many of these earlier on, or on different forums, but since we have a cool new section on TreasureNet, I figured I'd add some pictures here.

Most of these come from the Gobi Desert (Mongolia and Inner Mongolia in China), and a couple come from the beautiful country of Kazakhstan. Not really that close to Geradot's area. I have been collecting these for several years on business trips.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with additional pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 123

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice and so is the material. Are these personal finds or did you do some trading?

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Those are nice and so is the material. Are these personal finds or did you do some trading?

All of these pretty ones are high graded from local collections. I did make it out to one of the sites a couple of years back and found a few pieces, not unlike hunting on the edges of the Badlands in Eastern Montana. I dig out a picture of those and post them in this thread.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Here are some more made out of plate chalcedony. Very similar to the plate chalcedony found in Great Plains in the US, but thick enough that it can be worked better than the normal stuff we have here. Most of the hunting is done in blowouts that form in the dry/windy season.

Here is a news article on one dust storm in the Gobi desert that made for pretty sunsets in much of the Western US. These windblown sediments also contribute to the loess soils in much of the Midwest US.
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98196&page=1&page=1

IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1542.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
One very neat type of point, and so far I have only seen them found in this type of material (not the pretty agates or chalcedony) is an ultra thin point that is a bit of a hybrid between flaked and polished artifacts. The points were knapped and then the high spots polished down to be about as thin as a dime.

IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1496.JPG

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous points. Must have been enjoyable to get a chance to search while you were there that one time.
(Only chance for me is in my dreams though.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread