any detectorists in ireland

mint

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2011
cork
hi im in cork seen a few on the beaches thats where i do my detecting ,ive only been doing it a few months .
john

pullringking

Oct 4, 2010
Hi Spud and Mint, :hello:
there are quite a few of us around alright but most tend to keep a low profile, I am from the North East and detect beaches mainly and land when others share their permissions. Where are you based yourself?
Check out www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/ if you havent already and you will see a few bodies from our fair Isle.

kajo

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Irish Metal Dtecting

Irish Metal Detecting

https://www.facebook.com/irishmetaldetecting

IRISHMETALDETECTING

They have a great on-going campaign for metal detecting in Ireland.
Contrary to belief its not against the law to metal detect in Ireland aslong as you do it within the law.
That means no purposely searching for archaeological objects.
They want to adopt the uk system but are meeting stiff opposition from irish archaeologists.
Last year we saw a number of museums under threat of closing down in Ireland due to lack of funds and visitor numbers.
In the UK they don’t have the same funding problem or low visitor numbers. To put it simply - their system works.
The hoard finds by metal detectorists in the UK, which are returned to the museums, draw vast numbers of the public to these displays and spark new interests for future generations.
Metal detectorists and archaeologists working together makes both common and financial sense in Ireland.

I hope people visit those sites and lend your support to a great cause maybe send an email to some irish politicians and let them know your feelings.

Thanks,

Kajo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread