Is it legal to relic hunt in Poland?

keven579

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
Metal detecting in Poland is TOTALY iligal with the stupid laws they in here you can not MD but lots of people do it any way so everythind dipends how you feel that day and if you like taking little reask and having some fun because if you going to leason to those IDIOTS siting in WARSAW you going to get very old and never do anything

Sent from my GT-S5830 using TreasureNet

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I will be in Warsaw for 1 year, and would like to know if it is legal to us my metal detector.

Thanks

Peter

Peter, as you can see from the other answers you've got so far, is that if you ask enough questions, of enough desk-bound bureucrats, you can ALWAYS find yourself a "no". I mean, I bet the same would be true if I asked enough border lawyers, bureaucrats, etc... here in the USA too. They might say "no", because they're couching it in terms of federal protected land or monuments. Or they're thinking in terms of Mel Fisher legal hassles. Or they're thinking of lost & found laws, or disturbing earthworm laws, or ..... who knows.

The list of European laws that most people rely on, which has circulated on the net over the years, does indeed contain dire-sounding "no's", or severe restrictions, on most all European countries. But oddly, there is no shortage of detectors, even in those "dire sounding countries". Because you see, the way those lists came about, is ...... people asked! Doh. Sounds logical enough. I mean, who better to ask, than the country archies or bureaucrats in the capitol somewhere, right? And the type things they answer with, always predate the advent of metal detectors. I mean, citing things about cultural heritage, antiquities, etc... Well gee, the same can be said of the USA too (ARPA, etc...). But the REALITY is, those things are only for certain levels of public land (federal in the case of ARPA in the USA), and do not pertain to privately owned land (or other types of public land). So people have often made the mistake because they see the "dire sounding" text for various European countries, that all lands are off-limits. But think of it: those laws are for public land, and as such .... would apply to public land. Doh! So there's nothing to stop anyone from hunting a farmers land, with his permission, till you're blue in the face.

Or as the answers you've gotten so far indicate, that ........ quite frankly .... they're so far back in the forests or boonies, that there's no one to care, to begin with. This happens here in the USA all the time: There are places like beaches or parks or campground or whatever, that detectors are a common site on. Yet I have no doubt, that if you asked long enough, and hard enough, of enough desk-bound bureaucrats, that you'd eventually find someone to tell you "no". And perhaps that person is morphing other things to "apply to your pressing question", and perhaps he'd never have given the matter a moment's thought, or cared less. But it's the old "you asked, so here's your technical answer". And the SAD part about that psychology, is that the NEXT time that same deskbound person (who you brought this pressing question to) sees another md'r, he remembers the earlier inquiry, and starts booting others! Or starts making laws!

So it's become a case, even on the national levels, of the old addage of: "sometimes no one cares, ..... UNTIL you ask".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread