Hello from Serbia!

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you know and some of you dont know but Serbia is famous for metal detecting and one of few countries with most metal detectors. Some of most known Roman rulers are born here: Probus, Maximinus Daia, Galerius, Claudius II Gothicus, Aurelianus... Some people call Serbia "craddle of roman empire".
I want to share all i learn with people from my country or any other country in the world. So if someone is traveling here just let me know. :headbang:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you know and some of you dont know but Serbia is famous for metal detecting and one of few countries with most metal detectors. Some of most known Roman rulers are born here: Probus, Maximinus Daia, Galerius, Claudius II Gothicus, Aurelianus... Some people call Serbia "craddle of roman empire".
I want to share all i learn with people from my country or any other country in the world. So if someone is traveling here just let me know. :headbang:

Hi Viminacium,

Thanks for the information, I did not know that metal detecting is so popular in Serbia!! A few months ago I did find a club who's members had a great variety of top name brand detectors. When I was 12 I traveled with my dad and brought my Detectron 7-t detector to than Yugoslavia, but I did not have much time to detect. I would love to go back and visit next year sometime and actually do some detecting. Are you in the north? Novi Sad perhaps.? I know Serbia is full of history, a cross roads to many civilization ..how fun it would be to meet up with you and do some detecting.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I'm sure you can add some interesting perspective here!

OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Viminacium,

Thanks for the information, I did not know that metal detecting is so popular in Serbia!! A few months ago I did find a club who's members had a great variety of top name brand detectors. When I was 12 I traveled with my dad and brought my Detectron 7-t detector to than Yugoslavia, but I did not have much time to detect. I would love to go back and visit next year sometime and actually do some detecting. Are you in the north? Novi Sad perhaps.? I know Serbia is full of history, a cross roads to many civilization ..how fun it would be to meet up with you and do some detecting.

Im in Zajecar. Thats craddle of most roman rulers born in Serbia :)

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viminacium,

Good to see someone else from the Balkans, do you know of any Gold Prospectors/Beach Combers/Clubs in Bosnia? or possible maps of locations of the former Gold Mines in the Balkans?

Appreciate any info/advice you may be able to offer, I am in Sarajevo...

OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, ive been in Bosna when i was just a kid :)

ShOwStOpp3r

Sep 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i just seen a documentary on YouTube about the war of Serbia,Bosnia and Croatia kind of confusing as to why who was killing who and why but they say the hatred goes way back...how are tensions now in that area?...every time i hear somebody say Serbia or Bosnia i cant help but think of that movie behind enemy lines as well..

on the bright side i bet you have incredible territory to find precious and priceless relics and coins..

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showstopper, Things are fairly settled now in the Balkans, although the economy is a growing concern especially in Bosnia ... there will always be tensions where several communities of differing religions/political faiths live in close proximity to each other, the same can be said of many countries around the World, you just don't expect it to turn into a full blown war in the heart of Europe in this day and age, Northern Ireland was very similar to the Balkans with the ethnic tensions between two religions and burst also, it was contained to a certain extent as the British Army stepped in very early preventing a civil war enmasse, however as everyone knows that particular conflict went on for more than 25 years but thankfully didn't suffer the massive casualties that occured in the Balkans... we simply cannot allow another such conflict to erupt on our doorsteps ever again, yes there will always be bitter rivalry between the religions here but hopefully not to the extent that another war breaks out... I am currently helping reduce Bosnia's unstable/out of date warstock, our team comprises of people from all 3 religions and after 2 years although they fought nail and tooth against each other they are now best of friends and are helping to destroy the thousands of tonnes of ordnance sitting in magazines across the country...

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and just to add - Bosnia and the Balkans has a lot of history going back to Illyrian and Roman times, I've started to visit areas of interest with a local archaeologist in my spare time as he wants to uncover lost and forgotten relics/history of the area, which is not being taught to schools nowadays, he wants to change that...

Attachments

• Roman Bosnia.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:

ShOwStOpp3r

Sep 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Truffles so what was all that fighting really about,,religion,,,territory or ethnic dominance? i could never understand why a catholic would fight a protestant your basically same damn people,,i think the northern Ireland confrontation was more about the British trying to rule over the Irish majority..over in your area im not quite sure what religion dominates each country Serbia,Bosnia,Croatia im pretty sure Croatia is a Christian majority the other two im not sure...was that fighting by you more of a Muslim vs Christian war?..in any case its nice to your getting along with those you were at odds with 15 years ago...i heard during WW2 it was sooooo brutal over in that area that even the Nazi's were in shock and disbelief at the brutality they saw first hand..

anyway did you find any nice historical relics or coins yet?

OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are still people who spread ethnic hatred on Balcan but things are quiet now... And about history of Balkan... Balkan have very rich hystory. By detecting you can find anything from bronze age, celtic coins and relics, greek, roman, tribal, bizantine, medieval balkan and othoman and all kind of stuff. There were tribes like iliric, german, avars, vandals, huns, derrones...
I was thinking of making village tourism and taking tours to roman sites. Maybe i will start this year. That will give chance to some people to enjoy good food and drink, find their first ancient coin and rest and enjoy free time.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viminacium,

So true, the Balkans are no different than many places. I was born their and remember a great fun childhood..Anyways...you have a good idea their it's very similar what Jimmy Normandi with Whites, he organizes trips to England. He plans a few tours a year and takes detectorists out on private farms and prperty owners. Sign me up ! I am biting at the bit to detect in my homeland...as I know the history is rich, the only thing is can you inform us about the law regarding metal detectors and detecting in general?

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Relichunter1,

May I ask where in the Balkans you were born? we are currently looking into the laws regarding metal detecting/treasure hunting, I am friends with a former BBC Journalist who knows one of the most famous archaeologists here, the laws as far as we can tell so far are extremely vague, mainly due to the fact there have never been many people actually actively detecting or looking for relics here, hopefully we will know soon where we stand, I have heard various things like anything found in the top 50cm of earth does not need to be reported, deeper than 50cm and they need to be reported to a museum, but again this is all very vague...

OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1, theres still no law about metal detecting but there are few things you should know:
-It is forbidden to detect on registered and protected roman sites(some are even protected by UNESCO)
-Its not against law if you detect on other peoples property if no one can see you
-If you detect on other peoples property and he sees you he will call the cops or he wont depending on personality
-Some people wont even pay atention on you metaldetecting but some may even atack you
-You should detect and dig peoples crops or gardens or they can atack you or call the cops(or both)
-Everything found under 30cm should be given to museums(but they cant prove that so everything you find is yours)

I dont have fear of anything and i mostly go behind tractors when people are doing their crops :) If they agree of course... If cops see you they can take your detector, finds and even puch you but there are lawyers for that and they will give everything back or even pay you in few days.
Most relic hunters have their moral laws(like i do) but some even dont respect that leaving open holes and making damage to farmers so we have problems with them later because they think we did that damage.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truffles, I was born in what is now Croatia ...in Belisce, but back than it was Yugoslavia. I have family in Croatia, and some had to relocate to Serbia. The laws appear vague, just like in many places, even in the U.S. where I reside now.

Viminacium, this is good information! The last thing anyone needs is a cop on your ass....when your just trying to have a nice day out detecting...but I know how things can be. Next time I go and visit, I should visit my family in Croatia before heading to Serbia. They have land and farm it, so plenty of detecting opportunity on private land...this is the best land to search...i can't stand problems this is why I primarily search with permission private properties here in the States. But knowing what I know about Yugoslavia as you fellas know, its dirt has scene countless of civilizations come and go...and it would be a great opportunity to do some hunting with someone who knows where to go and the rules. Yeah...as far as not filling in your holes, if i were a farmer I would be pissed too...it's not respectful at all not to fill in your dug holes. Like you said, logic is everything, follow the rules, being nice goes a long way with people.

Ohhh and my personal opinion on historic finds is that the found items should go to a museum..so all can enjoy the history. Items such as coins....and objects of lesser historic value you should be able to keep. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,if i had monthly earning more than 1000 euros per month i would be glad to give things to museum... until then everything i find i sell to survive :) You dont have big choice in my country. I did this as hobby until i got kids... than life became harder.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, I am well aware of the economic difficulties in Serbia and Croatia. 99% of my family still live there...it's crappy everywhere....at least here in the States...i know of many who survive on 2-3 minimum wage jobs that pay 8-9 dollars an hour and government aid....food aid and such. If there were no welfare programs there would be a revolution. In fact they say now most or over 50 % of food aid (stamps) are going to what was the middle class! So yeah, I get it....For example my cousin Milorad has the family farm, but his damn tractor broke and needs to be fixed...always something..and yeah..kids...know all about that..but I do know..life has a way of giving you what you need...and things work out. Good Luck !!I know there are many coins and things with your name on it to be found. I hunt every day...work hard and it pays off....Take care....

OP
OP
Viminacium

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-9 dolars on hour? And its bad there? Gosh, i have 200$ per month :) This is usual monthly payment here... Difference between US and Serbia is next... in US there is enough job but people dont want to work anything. And here there are no jobs even if you want to do anything... Even if you want to be garbageman you need to know someone or to pay to be hired for work. So even if you are smartest man on the world you cant start from nothing here... And in your country you can start from nothing and become a millionaire. Too bad i have kids now and cant travel to US or i would be rich by now :) Everything is cheap and payments are good... and here you have small payment and price of 1$ for bread and 2$ for 1 litre of gas so if you want to drive a car-forget it.

Last edited:

Scolish

May 26, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Viminacium I will be visiting Serbia this September and would like to know if I can bring a metal detector into the country. I will be staying in Nis.

Scolish

May 26, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Viminacium, I am from Canada and will be visiting Serbia in early September, 2014 I would very much like to talk to you in regards to metal detecting. I will be staying in Nis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread