Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mountain Lion sitings Finally CONFIRMED in Western Ma.

This particular photo was taken on Sept. 8th near the Dalton/ Windsor line where a lifelong hunter set up a motion camera to see what deer were in the area. Pic was taken to Ma. Div. Fish and Wildlife, Hubbard ave. Pittsfield Ma. for verification. Hunter was asked NOT to publicize photo as to start a panic. We who have lived in this area have known with numerous sitings of these animals they were in fact inhabiting this area of Berkshire county. I myself, being a lifelong hunter, often ran across "big cat" tracks I couldn't even ID without thinking they were truly Mountain Lion as I KNEW! There have been numerous sitings this past summer that were dismissed by Fish and Game as FICTITIOUS. Well you can only fool people for so long. Now we have one on film! No denying it now. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone actually shoots one. This is exactly the reason why, when I enter the woods to "dirt fish", I ALWAYS CARRY! An ounce of prevention, (and a 9mm), beats a pound of cure. YEP! HOGGE There are more than just 1 cat in this area. Probably more like 20-25. There have been sitings in many hilltowns and they have been more numerous as of late.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEP_08_DALTON-WINDSOR_LINE.jpg 
Views:	2047 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	236871  
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Jul 2008
    New Hampshire
    Whites Prizm III

Re: Mountain Lion sitings Finally CONFIRMED in Western Ma.

Funny N.H. Fish and Game denies there are any in our state. The 5" tracks in the fresh snow I found outside our camp in Pittsburg say otherwise. No lynx left those. We have caught a glimpse of one crossing the road up there and it was no deer with that long tail.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmstr
    Funny N.H. Fish and Game denies there are any in our state. The 5" tracks in the fresh snow I found outside our camp in Pittsburg say otherwise. No lynx left those. We have caught a glimpse of one crossing the road up there and it was no deer with that long tail.
    From what other people have said ,and rumors of course, DFW introduced 6 cats in Late 70's to our area. Kept it all HUSH HUSH of course. Have no idea why they would do such a thing but the rest is history.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

Charter Member
    So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Above: 1786 Vermont landscape copper ryder 7 variety. Found August 2007
    Whites VX3, Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil)
    573 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Thats a little disturbing. I know you're not too far from me Hogge. Western Mass. is right across the Hudson River from Albany and I'm not too far from there. I guess crossing the river might prove to be a problem for the cats but I'm sure there a few on this side as well. One of the sites I hunted alot last year was owned by a guy who threw the "mountain lion" word around. I did run into a bobcat on one of my hunts but nothing bigger than that....thankfully.
    2014 Notable Finds :

1837 Hard Times Token (Millions For Defence Not One Cent For Tribute)
    Counterstamped Large cent (either Coronet or Braided hair variety)
    No detail Large cent (most likely draped bust)
    1869 2 cent piece
    4 Indian Heads including a nice 1872 Key date
    1 barber dime 1916
    2 Mercury dimes
    1 Buffalo nickel
    10 cent trade token
    Gold Class Ring (1957) (Returned to Owner)
    Native American knife blade
    NYC & HRRR Co. Lock
    Eagle button (1812?)
    General service eagle button
    Small size batwing buckle
    1 Crotal bell
    Rings: 3
    1 Religious Medal
    1 Pocket Watch (brass)

AUCTIONEER

Jul 2006
    Charlotte
    1 times

You're a BIG kitty cat, oh yes you are! You're a big kitty cat...
    (John Candy as Tom Tuttle from the movie Volunteers)

I saw my first bobcat back in December of 2007 and I thought it was a pretty big cat...
    Silly a$$ me.

HH,
    Ramapirate
    Ramapirate...
    Madcap

tulecanyon

big cats swim.

Jul 2006
    1 times

Got a link to the story....date stamp......... GPS cords etc....?
    Eat, Sleep ,Fish

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    102 times
    Metal Detecting

I ran into a bob cat on the outer banks last time I was down there. Walked around the corner of the house at night time and was face to face. We both looked at each other for a second then he turned and bolted into the trees. I'm sure glad it was not this big boy....I would have crapped myself.

NJ

Quote Originally Posted by plehbah
    Another city boy packing heat in the woods because of a mountain lion sighting.

Come out West sometime and learn some backwoods skills. I will tell you that none of them really involve guns for killing mountain lions!
    Listen up SON! I've spent 1/2 my adult life in the woods. Hunting, fishing, camping, and MD ing. Bad things happen to 3 kinds of people, the meek, the weak, and the unprepared. Which one are you?By the way...I always carry.I'm not worried about seeing one of these,(although many sitings are in my area of travel), I'm more worried about the rabid Fox or Coyote, or getting in between a sow and her cubs. By the way, they are an Eastern Coyote, there is no such thing as a "COY-DOG".

us
    Mar 2008
    UT!
    Ace 250, DFX300

Awesome picture! We have em all over here in UT. They are scared to death of us. As long as you don't surprise one, you'll be just fine. Maybe hunt without headphones. Oh and I do firmly believe in the insurance. I have the .40 s&w policy. Mostly because people scare me way more than a Mt. Lion ever will. (I work in a jail, I'm jaded. Sue me.)
    I'm getting used to the funny looks.

jsu

Nov 2007
    NE Georgia
    EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

I agree that most cats won`t bother you. If one does try to attack (if you don`t have a gun) the best thing to do is to put your head bettween your legs and kiss your a** goodbye Also get a set of rattler`s or stinger`s so you can hear it stalking you

tulecanyon

humans are the scary.
    the southwest has many types of cat, including jaguar.

i surprised a mountain lion once, 3 ft face to face. the pucker factor was wayyyyyyyy up there.
    it weighed more than i did at the time.
    be prepared seems insufficient at moments like that.

if you meet a big cat. DO NOT RUN! make yourself as large as possible. make loud and obnoxious noises.

Jan 2007
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Whites Vision Spectra
    2 times
    Banner Finds (1)

We have the same controversy here in Pa. It's good to see that you guys in Ma. are not all nuts. We here in Pa are told regularly that we are seeing things. I swear I havent had a hallucination in years.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colonial Silver Zeus
    We have the same controversy here in Pa. It's good to see that you guys in Ma. are not all nuts. We here in Pa are told regularly that we are seeing things. I swear I havent had a hallucination in years.
    Chris
    I guess it's better to lie and deny than to cause some sort of panic. But of course we all are used to lying and denying.....our government leaders and big business,( including your employers), Lye their A$$ off everyday like it's second nature! I'd better stop.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    980 times
    silver surfing

2 "cougar" attacks on horses here in southern Michigan. DNR denies after numerous sightings. Also black bear sightings. 50 miles north of Ohio border.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors