What kind of foods do you think would be good for survival?

T

trish76642

Like you said, canning, if one knows how.
I love spam. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick, right about the beans they do last forever dried. Rice is another one with between 5 & 10 years shelf life. But we are talking dried uncooked rice. Trish, Have you tried one called treat? It is like spam but tastes a little like Vienna sausages. And it is not so salty.

T

trish76642

jimb said:
Nick, right about the beans they do last forever dried. Rice is another one with between 5 & 10 years shelf life. But we are talking dried uncooked rice. Trish, Have you tried one called treat? It is like spam but tastes a little like Vienna sausages. And it is not so salty.
No i sure havent Jim, where do you buy it? I am in Texas, there are somethings you cant get here. I like Viennas too by the way, some people gringe at the thought of eating them, all i can say is they've never been hungry. :wink:

The beans and rice are another good idea as for as shelf life.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trish, I just got bumped again from my last post. Treat is for sale next to the Spam at WarMart. Yup! Love the sardines and they last quite a while, 3 or 4 years.

T

trish76642

jimb said:
Trish, I just got bumped again from my last post. Treat is for sale next to the Spam at WarMart. Yup! Love the sardines and they last quite a while, 3 or 4 years.
Cant do the sardines! Something about the little eyes looking up at you when you open the can....
Do they still make them like that? with the heads still on em?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
~Trish~ said:
jimb said:
Cant do the sardines! Something about the little eyes looking up at you when you open the can....
Do they still make them like that? with the heads still on em?
You can buy 'em headless now, in tomato sauce! Mmmmm.......

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Meat. Wheat, & Rice. Humans have survived on that for thousands of years. If it's alive or will grow and you have good water and fire you'll eat well.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right you are Nick! But the salami is processed (made) differently. I believe they use more salts and less nitrates. If you would like I will check for you. I also know that the early pioneers kept their meats cool in the summer by smoking them and then burying them in the ground of the smoke house.

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon
When I was in college I took this stuff to increase my muscle mass naturally, and got out of it until recently. I had bad allergies and befriended a beekeeper, who got me started rethinking the bee pollen thing. He gave me some to try and a couple weeks later my allergies were gone...no more sneezing or runny nose. My son mentioned that I had not sneezed all day,when we were doing a house in the middle of a hay field, which would have had me in a sneezing fit all day. Not only does it help with allergies, it also has all the essential ammino acids that your body needs to survive. But then again some are allergic to it and it has to be raw. If you want more info get ahold of me and I'll tell you what to look for when buying some.

http://www.envirobee.com/beepollen.htm

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Dry beans and food grains.Real preserved meats(ham,bacon,corned beef,jerky of any type)if leisure and circumstance permit.
Cardboard and real leather will help sustain life in extreme circumstances.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever heard of Hard Tack?
2 cups of flower
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons of shortening or lard. No oil.
Water to thicken into paste.
Roll out to half inch thickness and bake at 350* until hard, which is about 30 min.
This stuff lasts forever. It was used in the Civil War and tack was found a few years ago that was still edible!.
So far every one has come up with great ideas!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Might be a good idea to stock up on seeds also. You can always grow your own veggies. There are several books that can tell how to identify edible plants also. I say books because if the electricity ever goes there will be no google. Information will be a very important item to have for survival if things ever get that bad.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about books. Try Fire Fox Books. I down loaded about 100 pages on different ways how to make soap using cooking oil. And things like how to make bricks. There is a lot of information on the net you just have to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions