Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Maybe Not But it sounds Better :wink:

Did mountain lion attack Pa. farmer?

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is investigating an attack on a southern Lancaster County farmer who believes the culprit was a mountain lion.
The last confirmed case of a mountain lion running wild in the state was in the 1960s, after one escaped from a circus or a menagerie, said Joe Kosack, commission spokesman.

Samuel Fisher was attacked near his home around 6 p.m. yesterday, and was taken to a hospital, Kosack said.

The commission had been getting eyewitness reports of three big cats. "A black one, a brown one and a tan one may have been roaming the area together," Kosack said.

Fisher reported seeing two big cats, shooting at one and wounding it. "While he was trailing it, he claims one of the animals attacked," Kosack said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20081010_Did_a_mountain_lion_attack_Pa__farmer_.html

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow that would be really unusual for a cougar to attack a full grown man. ??? good thing he made it out alive.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
read about it in the Reading Eagle...he could be in trouble..they are protected...even though we supposedly dont have any here :wink: gonna bring thhe article in work...my supervisor is a game commissioner...see what his take is on it....we didnt have coyotes in philly either...till my boss proved it by shooting one that got hit by a car near a golf course in my old neighborhood...its stuffed and on display in pgc headquarters in harrisburg

S

stefen

hollowpointred said:
wow that would be really unusual for a cougar to attack a full grown man. ??? good thing he made it out alive.

Quite the opposite, cougars stalked and killed several bikers and attacked others in Orange County, CA a few years back.

Geographic local has nothing to do with an animal being hungry and a man being on the menu.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
About two months ago one was hit by a car near me in westeren NY the DEC wasted no time cutting the chip out of it. They still say there not in the area and there not relocating them in NY. Shoot on sight is how most people here feel.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
We had a full grown cougar out in our pasture this last year. Tan color and a long tail. Others have seen them too. We live in Steuben Co. N.Y. We also had black panthers around our home in Tioga Co. Pa back in the 1950s and 60s.
They have been here for a long time, I don't listen to them when they say that they don't exist. I know better.
Best to all of you,
Clayton

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Would be better for the cougars and all involved if they go with the Jersey Devil story.

Would bring the curious to the town and maybe while there they'd stop in the local eatery and have a bite and maybe buy some gas etc. A nice, although fleeting and small, boost to someone's economy.

Also better for the cats and locals so some yahoo isn't out there ready to shoot anything that moves.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
More than a few cougar sightings here in the mountains of western Pa. by experienced outdoorsman & people
who have lived their whole lives there. The game commission always dismisses them as 'house cats' mistaken
for cougars or over excitement. Yeah right.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tubecity said:
More than a few cougar sightings here in the mountains of western Pa. by experienced outdoorsman & people
who have lived their whole lives there. The game commission always dismisses them as 'house cats' mistaken
for cougars or over excitement. Yeah right.

I Think they Don't want people going out shooting
them so they say they don't exist. & call Witnesses Liars
or fools.

& just declair the ones proven Escaped pets for the same reason.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More and more animals are learning to live with civilization. Every day you read of bear sightings and Coyotes, and a few Pumas, cougars, panthers or whatever you want to call them, all in Urban settings. I don't know why anyone would be surprised to see one of those critters in the rural areas. Monty

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
More and more animals are learning to live with civilization. Every day you read of bear sightings and Coyotes, and a few Pumas, cougars, panthers or whatever you want to call them, all in Urban settings. I don't know why anyone would be surprised to see one of those critters in the rural areas. Monty

Just a few Short years ago We Had alligators in Schuylkill county & In Harrisburg

whether through Migration

Or Being let go by Owners,

They are still here

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
What if they won't admit to it because they are endangered .that means that thier habitat and breeding areas would be off limits including your own land. what would that do to the hunting and fishing revenue in most states/

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cats in my area are getting so numerous, the Game & Fish is allowing them to be shot whenever they pose a threat, or are bothering people or livestock.
I recently saw a mare that had been attacked by a cat, she was mauled so badly that she had to be (put down), although she lived for a few weeks.
The G&F won't admit there are (black cats), but I know several people who have seen them, even as far back as the 50's, & I have seen two myself in the last year.
since the horse was attacked, the locals are getting very concerned.
In one case, a large black cat was eating (cat food), left out on the porch overnight, it was seen on the porch, & several times was seen in the area, my son & I placed a (game cam) there, but it left the area.

Fossis....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread