aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T

The.Boomer

Pine is a soft wood and would burn dirty as you call it. Pear seasoned properly for at least a year would burn clean as it is a hard wood.

T

The.Boomer

P.S. If you have actually been burning a soft wood like pine especially in inside. Then please make sure to spend the money on a chimney sweep and get your chimney professionaly cleaned before using it.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The.Boomer said:
Pine is a soft wood and would burn dirty as you call it. Pear seasoned properly for at least a year would burn clean as it is a hard wood.
ok another reason i asked was we burned a plum tree last year and boy did it stink :-\

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good advice :thumbsup:

T

The.Boomer

Sorry aa I have no first hand knowledge about the aroma that pear might impart. Where I'm from we burn allot of apple and cherry as well as maple, oak, locust, elm etc... :tongue3:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea iam no expert but i do have some walnut left and the Warden really likes the aroma. Whatever that means :icon_scratch:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
The best smelling firewood, imho, is seasoned Birch. We usually burn those fake logs due to the new
furnace causing a negative draft when it kicks on, that fills the house with smoke if we burn real wood
but once a week or so, its nice to have "real" fire going. :wink:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesnt get that cold here but the ladies like a fire...aa

S

stefen

Any pine or cedar (or other conifer) is highly resinous and will coat the inside chimney which creates the potential for flash fires.

Any of the fruitwoods are considered to be classified as a hardwood which burns cleaner and has little residue.

Even though my mountain home is within a pine forest, I burn Eucalyptus and Orange wood. The euc is by far the hottest BTU rated burning wood, it's low in residuals, is clean and has a great smell. Orange and any other citrus is similar.

Resinous woods will coat the inside of your fireplace chimney and someday it could ignite and you'd have a giant roman candle...which may even blow into the room as well as upwards. Witnessed this once and its some scary stuff.

Someday, have your fireplace flue cleaned by a professional Chimney Sweep...well worth it as precautionary insurance and piece of mind.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good stefen i have a free load of pear waiting for me...thanks

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Apple or pear make good cooking wood too. Best used for chicken , corn or vegies.
I have a smoker and used apple, pecan, mosquite in it and oak. If I had a fire place
I would rig me a rack, I love cooking over hot coals. Hard to mess up food unless
you burn it. Now I'm hungry. Gnewt

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
HI AA: Just keep your recycled potatoes out of it. snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha
thats an idea potatoe wood :icon_scratch:

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
If you don't take the wood, I will. It will need to be delivered though. I take any wood I can since I burn outside alot and do most of my summer cooking over an open fire.

Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread