I need help from any computer peeps out there!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey everyone.....
I'm in dire need of some computer help. I really don't feel like going into alot of details about all that I've done the "repair" this thing myself. I've checked it all and defragged and debugged and all that stuff!

I am having very slow page load problems! I really feel like it's something I've done myself. Ya know how you get so deep into your computer, you have no idea what you've done or how you got there? Well, that would be me!

I have dial up (yeah, I know), but it's all I can afford. Everything was fine up until I was having trouble getting connected. Then I reloaded the dial up program and tweeked a few things, now it is so slow, it literally takes over twenty minutes to open an email! I can't even begin to describe how frustrating that is!! >:( Graphics are horribly slow as well. I can't even think about looking at a MySpace page!

Any thoughts and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I can't stay connected online long enough for a download, so that's outta the question too.

Thanks in advance!

G

gamiller

I would try some of the following, glary utilities , advanced windows care, malwarebytes,superanti spyware spybot search and destroy,adaware2008. I realize you cant download so if you would like to pm with an address I could burn install disc with some programs to try Greg

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
"I have dial up (yeah, I know), but it's all I can afford. Everything was fine up until I was having trouble getting connected. Then I reloaded the dial up program and tweeked a few things, now it is so slow, it literally takes over twenty minutes to open an email!

Perhaps the tweaks were the problem? I'd reload the dial-up program again, (make sure you delete it properly first, use "add/remove programs" in "my computer", or use the dial-up program to delete it, it should have an uninstal utility.) and don't do the tweaks. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the advice. I will try the onecare live thing and see if that helps kldrawdy. I hope so.

I have Spybot search and destroy and have already done that. I also did a system restore to a prior date before the "tweaking". It didn't help. After I reloaded my dial up program, I didn't do any further tweaking, and it still runs very slow. It's just all very frustrating when you don't know that much about computer programs. I don't know enough to know that I don't know, ya know? :icon_scratch: Oh, and I have a Windows restore disk, but can't use it because my brother forgot to give me the registration code. Go figure.

Thanks again!
Moon

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Moonshadow said:
Thanks for the advice. I will try the onecare live thing and see if that helps kldrawdy. I hope so.

I have Spybot search and destroy and have already done that. I also did a system restore to a prior date before the "tweaking". It didn't help. After I reloaded my dial up program, I didn't do any further tweaking, and it still runs very slow. It's just all very frustrating when you don't know that much about computer programs. I don't know enough to know that I don't know, ya know? :icon_scratch: Oh, and I have a Windows restore disk, but can't use it because my brother forgot to give me the registration code. Go figure.

Thanks again!
Moon

Do a complete reformat of Windows. It sounds like your registry is corrupted, and without a sufficient download you can't get the programs you need to fix it.

I suppose you could download CCleaner from here .... http://www.ccleaner.com/ . It's only around 2 MB in size, and it will fix your registry errors for you. Also ... the problem a lot of people make is they download a bunch of programs and run them all. That's a BIG mistake. It's kind of like throwing machetes to kill a fly. You only end up with a whole lot of junk on your hard drive that makes things worse than when you started. Then you have to go back and UNinstall all of the programs that didn't do any good, and getting all of the root keys out of your system is a nightmare.

Download/ dial up programs are a nightmare any way. They don't get technical help resources they need because everyone is on broadband these days. AOL is the WORST, so stay away from them. AOL is almost a VIRUS in itself. ALSO, stay away from Norton Antivirus. They are the worst for ruining system stability as well.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
How long have you been running windows on this machine? What version is it? Have you installed all the updates EXCEPT service pack 3 if XP is what you are running?

It sounds like you made some registry changes that have messed up your system. If you have the restore CD it will only ask you for the COA number which should be on your system box somewhere usually on the side or back.

What Antivirus are you running? Have you scanned the system?

Just a few things to look at. If you need to do a complete reinstall find a friend that has high speed internet and have them download all the updates and Service Packs, EXCEPT service pack 3 with XP.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Consider also that you might have a hardware problem. If your connection speed is much less than 56K, it could indicate a problem with the phone line. Where I live, power surges through the phone line are very common, and will damage or destroy a modem not protected by a surge suppressor.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Oopsss :-[ Been a while since I dealt with modems and dial up SomeGuy. You of course, are correct. Could be a hardware problem. I just dismissed that since he said he had made some software changes. My bad. Thanks. :thumbsup:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have regular Windows, or XP (anything but Vista), check and see what your virtual memory is set at.

Click "start"
Click "run"
write in the box "msconfig"

You will come up with a box where you can check all your settings. You can also do a "system restore" from there

If your virtual memory is low - especially with dial-up, it can slow it down - or, everything may be fine and then don't do anything.

(I am assuming that you have already tried a "restore point"?)

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions