8 Year old boy dies from Uzi

allmtl2008

Sep 17, 2008
Leominster
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
I've read all the replies and I see it like this. An eight year old boy is reasonably capable of handling the recoil of a micro uzi. Several reasons why I say this. All over the globe thousands of so called "child soldiers" handle far more powerful weapons such as the AK47. Secondly Bonnie Parker of Bonnie and Clyde fame was thin framed and barely broke 90lbs. During her crime spree she handled a .30 caliber Browning Automatic Rifle on several occasions. Both weapons are far heavier, fire much more powerful cartridges and have a much more robust recoil. Finally there are many of these types of shoots every year all over the country. I am more than positive when I say that children younger than eight participate in these activities and shoot these firearms without issue. That being said this tragedy falls on the boy's instructor. This person failed to properly instruct this child on how to control this firearm. Children are not safety concious until you show them how to be. I have instructed children with firearms for many years and the biggest obstacle I have found is keeping them focused on what to do after the trigger is pulled. This instructor should've plainly explained that you only shoot short bursts while maintaining proper muzzle direction. He also failed to explain how when you shoot a weapon like this you must have a firm grip like holding a baseball bat or a golf club. Kids will understand this if you speak plainly and directly. This was by far an avoidable tragedy and it makes instructors like me feel ashamed that an instructor like that is allowed t teach at all let alone children.

Manosdelfuego, ALLMTL's husband

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
You can explain to the child about the recoil, but when it happens, he may be startled at the strength and suddenness of it, and not even have time to realize what is happening before it's too late.

If you must have your young child shoot full auto, at least start off with only 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine.

An AK-47 may be more powerful, but it's also bigger, heavier and longer. The muzzle may rise, but it won't spin in as small a circle as I expect that Micro Uzi did from muzzle rise.

I can't imagine what that father has to live with now.

Jay

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I blame the parent for not using their Grey matter :angry3:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allmtl2008 said:
I've read all the replies and I see it like this. An eight year old boy is reasonably capable of handling the recoil of a micro uzi. Several reasons why I say this. All over the globe thousands of so called "child soldiers" handle far more powerful weapons such as the AK47. Secondly Bonnie Parker of Bonnie and Clyde fame was thin framed and barely broke 90lbs. During her crime spree she handled a .30 caliber Browning Automatic Rifle on several occasions. Both weapons are far heavier, fire much more powerful cartridges and have a much more robust recoil. Finally there are many of these types of shoots every year all over the country. I am more than positive when I say that children younger than eight participate in these activities and shoot these firearms without issue. That being said this tragedy falls on the boy's instructor. This person failed to properly instruct this child on how to control this firearm. Children are not safety concious until you show them how to be. I have instructed children with firearms for many years and the biggest obstacle I have found is keeping them focused on what to do after the trigger is pulled. This instructor should've plainly explained that you only shoot short bursts while maintaining proper muzzle direction. He also failed to explain how when you shoot a weapon like this you must have a firm grip like holding a baseball bat or a golf club. Kids will understand this if you speak plainly and directly. This was by far an avoidable tragedy and it makes instructors like me feel ashamed that an instructor like that is allowed t teach at all let alone children.

Manosdelfuego, ALLMTL's husband

If you look at those photos of the "child soldiers" using the AK-47s you'll see they are on slings crossed over their shoulders. When they fire the weapons, they hold the butt stock close against their sides with their elbows and hold down pressure on the top heat shield over the barrel. They can controll short burst like that.
The old .30 cal. Browning Automatic Rifle was one heavy S.O.B. And, if you look at the photos of Bonnie holding a BAR, you'll see she had it on a sling, over her shoulder. She could handle it quite well. But, I believe her favorite weapon, in addition to the .38 cal. pistol, was a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
All these micro weapons are like pistols, i.e. they´re designed basically for short range close in, and they act like it too. If you´ve ever had a pistol where the trigger was set too light (Some people put silicon oil or teflon on the hammer let off claw after filing and smoothing it), then you´ll know what happens when it decides to go full auto. Even a grown up couldn´t hold one of these if a full mag went, but would probably be able to keep his arms (Though not the wrists) reasonably straight. They pivot on the axis of your hand, i.e. the wrist, and a child just can´t handle that.
They should be fired in small bursts of three to five rounds, which is very quick (Just a tap of the trigger) on these weapons. Any longer and it´s a never ending burst that´s out of control till the mags empty which isn´t very long, but is very dangerous.

B

BIG61AL

It a sad lesson where this child had to pay for the mistakes of adults.

A] the instructor should have say no to a 8 year old wanting to fire an Uzi on full auto.

B] Even adults have to be trained to fire such a weapon with a high rate of fire.

C] the parent should have known that an Uzi on full auto Will have a significant amount of kick back.

D] the instructor should be suspended until his permit to instruct is fully investigated.

I am pro gun and anti stupid.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Guns aren´t dangerous, SOME people that have them are

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I once loaned a semi to a friend of my son at an open shooting range.
When he jumped up on a large boulder and finished the magazine in this semi-auto I took it away from him.
It was rainy, the rocks slippery and I didn't know him.
My bad.
Never again.
I am pro-gun but anti idiots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread