Worst Turkey in my LIFE!!! ( $38 a plate!!! )

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
So I go with the Girlfriend's family to an upscale hotel for T-day dinner in Dallas, mostly because one of the family members is a chef there. The main dishes were Blackened Salmon, Chicken ((with some kind of Cumin-Alfredo sauce)), Pork loin, Prime Rib and of course Turkey... all self serve.
The turkey was as dry as leather and tasted like it was sun dried near a traffic inter-section for 2 days. The Prime Rib... I thought was ham, but I later determine d it must have been road-kill. The salmon...? didn't even taste close to salmon. It was all very, very horrible. So I think, "Maybe the kiddie sections will at least be palatable". NOPE. The bennie wennies were now rocks with large rubber pellets inside. The bacon tasted like it was cooked in olive oil, and the waffles were rock hard and dry.

Now, I'm thinking that this is acceptable because hotels usually don't stray from their normal 'continental breakfast' routine, and for under $10, what do you expect... That's when I hear "It's $38 a plate". WHAT?

Incidentally, we get the whole family's meals comp'ed. Not because anyone complained, but because the management was thankful we came in to visit the chef... at least that's what they said. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking they KNEW it was horrible.

I'm not a food critic, in fact, I can eat just about anything considering I've lived a bachelors life - all my life, but this was the worst turkey in my LIFE.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm sorry to hear about your dinner :(

My sis went to Dallas for Thanksgiving with her boyfriend and his family and they went out to eat also...but I can't remember where they went. I'll have to ask her and find out how the meal was.

I hope your Christmas Dinner is much better!
Annmarie

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Dang Mike, that is a sad, sad story :'(! Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorites all year, and I can't imagine sitting down and eating ruined turkey or prime rib....especially if I knew the guy that cooked it ;D..
I'm with Ann, I hope your Christmas dinner is much better. Good luck,,Gpurs..

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Thanksgiving Dinner? Mine was leftover red beans/rice! Coming back from KC after visiting the wife's resting place,and since the kids could not be here,I thought I would stop at a restaurant for dinner.Every one I passed was full with long lines,I wouldn't get involved with that.Don't mother's/g'mothers cook these meals anymore?The old fashion Thanksgiving meal,I'm afraid,is going to be a thing of the past before long.What a shame.All I hear is 'I don't have time'or 'it's too much trouble'.Hard to believe.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was actually thinking, that the 'lines' were 'too much trouble'. For me, when I cook for t-day, it relatively easy. Don't stuff the turkey (takes too long to cook if you do), and the rest is just opening can's and heating what's inside them... Oh, and maybe some oven rolls and mashed tatters (just talking about it makes me miss the turkey again).

I saw those lines too, running into the parking lots of all the restaurants. I thought those people were crazy.

Her mom is getting fairly fragile these days. We wouldn't want for her to cook for a semi-large family. AND, the other sister is a drunk, so she's not going to cook... and the only one left is two teenage girls and the sis-inlaw. That would be too busy with her own youngsters... I guess, now in hind-sight, going out to eat was the only option, and the $38 a plate was a good idea to curb the 'long lines'.

I bet your red beans and rice tasted a whole lot better than what I had.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Part of the problem with line food is that they turn the burners for the heating dishes on high,with water underneath to warm it fast...then no one thinks that after a couple of hours they need to turn down the heat and add more water.....so everything overcooks and dries out......

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
$38 a plate?!? :o Sheesh I didn't charge anything! lol Sorry to hear that your food was less than wonderful....hopefully your next big meal will be extra special to make up for it! :thumbsup:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
It was a Thanksgiving you will never forget. :icon_jokercolor:

We keep the tradition alive at our house. Turkey and Ham with all the trimmings.

Sorry you had to endure such bad food on one of the best holidays of the year. There is always Christmas. :toothy4:

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread