Sent a package out yesterday(Sad update)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sons have an old childhood friend that joined the Army a while back and is now in Afghanistan. We managed to get his address and sent him out a "care package" yesterday so it will be there by Christmas. Gonna send him another with homemade goodies in a few more days. Anyone who has been there knows how great it is to get a "care package" even if the stuff in it has been ruined. It's the thought and only the thought that matters. If you know someone that's over there or can get the address of someone you may not even know, think about how great you could make someone feel with a small gesture of thoughtfulness. No matter your political views, put a smile on a face far away, and it will warm you too. The post office even has some special rate packages that are used to mail to the military.

B

BIG61AL

Re: Sent a package out yesterday

I've sent a few packages to Iraq to a nephew.....They are well fed but they get no special stuff like jerky, candy, popcorn, so the snacks are a welcome treat.........After i filled a fix rate priority mail box i dumped a bunch a taffy to fill every little space left in the box!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soldier we sent the package to was injured in an explosion of one of those, so-called, ied's (improvised explosive device) 2 days after we sent the package. I guess he is now on his way to Germany. I say "injured" as opposed to "wounded" because he wasn't hit by any shrapnel. He was manning the machine gun on a Humvee and, when they drove over the cell-phone-triggered ied, the bottom of the Humvee was blown upwards with such force that it messed up his legs. It wasn't a huge explosion and he was the only one hurt. I guess the injuries are not life threatening so, at least he will be coming home. Gonna plan a "Welcome Home" party! :occasion18:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi room: a small thing, but I received a Christmqs can of chocalate candies from the Hearst Family in 1943 while in the Pacific, we loved it, however, they were a bit whitish, since they had been sent for Christmas 1942 while in the Guadalcanal campaign.

Oh well, they were just as welcome, I even sent a thank you note, but it was ignored.

Soo send some, they will appreciate it. I certainly did.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Here is an early, or late Chrstmas card.

Attachments

• CHRISTMAS 1942©.jpg
    CHRISTMAS 1942©.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 201

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWW. Sorry to hear that. But hope he heals quickly and you all have a great welcome home party! :thumbsup:

Nana :)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose....wanna hear something strange? This soldier I have been talking about has the same last name as the one on your label. Some coincidence huh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread