Are you older than dirt ?

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Old Dog said:
How about getting two pieces of Double Bubble gum for a penny.

yup......but I LOVED bazooka Joe :wink:
lol When was the last time you put more than one piece of bubble gum in your mouth at a time :icon_scratch:

2 for a pennys I remember were...malted milk balls...mint julips...tootsie rolls...

I remember doing little chores for neighbors and being paid in 2 + 5 cent bottles .

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seem to feel like it lately.

I still have the first used truck I ever bought in the shed.
A 1946 Chevy and it runs good after the V8 engine swap back in the 70's.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Ashleen said:
Old Dog said:

lol When was the last time you put more than one piece of bubble gum in your mouth at a time :icon_scratch:

2 for a pennys I remember were...malted milk balls...mint julips...tootsie rolls...

I remember doing little chores for neighbors and being paid in 2 + 5 cent bottles .
bazooka joe is still around today. try to chew a piece of that once! hard as a rock!!!!

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello,

Some of these things mentioned on here are about like me; I think they go back to about the time when the Big
Dipper was still just a cup, LOL. Fun to read about them.

Ray karenray08

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
May have posted this before, but I forget...sorry.

When a little kid I lived in the Mohave desert with G'Ma and G'Pa.
1 room cabin with a big woodstove that had a water heater in the side and big oven on bottom.
Burners on top opened to put firewood into. Top oven for biscuits. 20 yds. to outhouse.
Outside wash basin water went to the garden when too dirty to do much good anymore.
We got a partyline crank phone when rich folks down the way got it past our place. We were 2 short and 1 long ring.
My friends were tarantulas, black widow spiders, horned toads, and rattlers.
I followed a coyote across the desert one day to have a "puppy" but he got away.
Got a whuppin for that. Learned many types of ants live there - red, black and integrated ones too.
There is a bug that makes a funnel in the sand to get ants when they fall in.
Little kids don't seem to feel heat, at least I don't remember it much.
Hauled in water was precious. 6v radio batteries for the old Philco brought in music from far away in the evenings
as G'Pa played solitare under the kerosene lamp and G'Ma sewed. Sometimes the Grand ol Opry type.
!950 so Hank and Chet were popular. Chet Atkins could make a guitar sing such sweet songs like a harp.
G'Ma was born in "Indian Territory" in 1900 and G'Pa in 1887 in Tennessee.
I loved to hear stories of coming west in wagons and such. 2 world wars, depression of 1930's,
BEFORE THEY HAD TAXES! my G'Pa said. He was in his 20's when automobiles caught on.
But who could afford them then...
I was all ears as they raised me in the olden ways like they did their own 8 kids.
Making Lye soap with a mold and home made ice cream after we moved to town and
tasting real moonshine when I sipped from G'Pas glass of water on the back porch when another old guy visited.
(had to wash mouth out for a long time!)
Learned to always have a garden. Always work hard. Enjoy music and play hard.
Help your kinfolk and neighbors when they need it and they will help you if you may need it.
Praise the Lord but He ain't gonna pick the beans.
Yup, chickens run around when you chop their heads and it can make a mess but fried chicken sure tastes good,
that's what the Lord put them here for. Pick eggs in the morning and keep them cool.
Cast Iron cooking is best. Good corn takes a lot of manure. (sweet corn is best right off the stalk raw.)
Pumpkin, corn and beans all like each other but keep the potatoes away ! They can ruin next plantings.
Horses are big but you have to be bigger. Dogs too.
Be nice to folks.

Grey

(Sorry this is so long, got carried away. Mods can move or delete if wanted)

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Greydigger,

A great write-up. I enjoyed reading it and it could have been longer and made more good reading. Nice going.

Ray

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ohioaxeman said:
Ashleen said:
Old Dog said:

bazooka joe is still around today. try to chew a piece of that once! hard as a rock!!!!

I also tried some, when introducing them to my boys....OMG!!! Hard as a rock is in understatement. I remember when they were so soft and had a really sweet taste. Now they taste so blah!

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Ron and Ann said:
ohioaxeman said:
Ashleen said:
Old Dog said:

I also tried some, when introducing them to my boys....OMG!!! Hard as a rock is in understatement. I remember when they were so soft and had a really sweet taste. Now they taste so blah!
for some reason, i can't read the comic anymore. the print is smaller :icon_scratch: lol

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ohioaxeman said:
Ron and Ann said:
ohioaxeman said:
Ashleen said:
Old Dog said:

for some reason, i can't read the comic anymore. the print is smaller :icon_scratch: lol

You know, I noticed that too....I don't like it when they make the print smaller! :wink:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Ron and Ann said:
ohioaxeman said:
Ron and Ann said:
ohioaxeman said:
Ashleen said:
Old Dog said:

You know, I noticed that too....I don't like it when they make the print smaller! :wink:
haven't had a piece since halloween, and my jaw still hurts. beer caps are easier to chew than bazooka joe! :wink:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
was a Bazooka joe character the basis of Kenny ?
Haven't even seen that gum in many years.
Loved the comics with it.
Black Jack is one pack that I have kept, but Wrigleys Spearment is nice too.
Juciefruit is what G'Ma always gave me. (half a stick).

Grey

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember all 25 + lead BB's

The OLD Gator-Flea

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 111

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I also got an easy 25 and could add another 25 as I spent the 1st seven years of my life without electricity being available and the 1st eight without seeing a television. Sure is alot of us old pre-dirt agers on here, isn"t there.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
GF,
I found I still have this old metal container with .12 cal lead BBs
They they made these ...
about the time dirt was invented. LOL

Actually these date to exactly 1935
these and the gun were new at Christmas of 1935

Attachments

• Mix_017 A.jpg