Need new digital camera

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Sony Cyber-shot. I love it...easy to use and very "chick" friendly!
small and can hold lots of pics... also takes mini movies. my pic to the left is taken with it.. has lots of settings to
make indoor picture taking look great in any/or no light!
also my kids have dropped it many times over the last year... nothing damage to it at all.
:icon_queen:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the purpose of posting on the net you don't need to spend a lot of $$$ for a camera. Just get a digital camera with a macro setting, built in flash & zoom lense and you are in business. For family photos and landscapes yoi might want to spend a little more for added features however. I have a little Cannon I bought in a pawn shop, which by the way is a good place to save money on one. Mine was like brand new and the pawn shop owner let me test it to be sure it was in good working order. I got it for about a third of what the new price was at Wal-Mart. Monty

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Mountainman, I've got the Nikon coolpix 4600.

When I started trying to take pics of my digs to post on Tnet I found the limitations of the camera.

And just recently, I took some REALLY crummy Christmas light pictures at night.
...Obviously, they are beyond the limitations of the camera... they are posted here, on another thread I tried to start...

When I began coming up short, with the Nikon coolpix 4600, and it's limitations, I went over to Cnet reviews and discovered many other people had the same observations.

The 4600 is an OK camera, but I really do believe there are better deals out there.

As I posted earlier, a manual focus control option would be important.

yet another problem is there is no sync for external flash.

Both are a biggie if you hope for more than casual photos.

Best
rmptr

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Coolpix L3. I don't know if the 2 cameras have similar functions.This one does have a macro setting.I do admit that Christmas lights don't photograph well with this camera but it has some functions on it that I still haven't figured out yet.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME, I got the Olympus FE-170 6.0 as a Christmas gift, to me it's a great little camera...all my pics here have been taken with it.

:wink: RR

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-H50 which I love

not as rough and tough as my old 35 mm Canon F1, but

I like the digital of this one

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a bit late but here it goes.

Buy the best Canon you can afford.

I use a Kodak EasyShare Z1285 HD 12MP cam and it makes good pictures and videos....BUT!

Kodak doesn't have that jiggle reducing device mounted in the lens like Canon has for movie making. Nothing is more disturbing than jumpy videos! I almost always use a tripod or stick to hold down the jiggle.

The Kodak is great for funny 1920's style B&W home movie conversions. The pictures jump around like the old films.

The still pictures with Canons are finer grained and enlarge much better than Kodaks.

This is my last non-Canon.

Badger

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
I have a Cannon Power Shot A590 IS digital with 4X zoom. It has several settings including easy setting that self focuses. Has good macro and I can carry it in a shirt pocket with the flap buttoned down. It will take movies and has
several other features that I haven't gotten into yet. It is a great little camera. I love it and have had it for about
3 or 4 months.

Ray karenray08

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Another vote for Sony cybershot. They are 10x better than the sony's of 3 years ago. I have nervous system problems that give me tremors in my hands, but I can take clear pictures with extreme closeups easily. For listing on ebay this has been a valuable investment, I take 5 times fewer pictures to get good ones to use that I am happy with.

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Doesn't take good pictures inside anymore? What happened?? Did the flash break?
I like the Canon lines of cameras especially the IS (Image Stabilization) ones. Any camera with IS is a good choice
A lot of links have been given out (DPreview). Consumer reports also
Good luck!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
If its not too late..I got an Nikon Coolpix S550 and I get great picture quality and its only $200 for the price. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread