No Soliciting...

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I'm at home yesterday when I get a knock at the door to which I answered.
"Hello sir, I'm with..."
"Sorry, I'm not interested" (I cut him off in mid-sentence with a friendly smile).
"Oh, I'm not selling anything".
"Oh, you're not? What do you have then?"
"We're offering free roof inspections to homes that saw hail last month".
"So after the inspection, you'll have a roofing company that you'll want me to hire?"
"No sir, you pay nothing. You're insurance pays for it".
"So, you ARE selling something, just not to me?"
"Sir, you pay nothing".
"No, I could get a higher premium... what about that".
"Uh... ummm...uh... .......".

So I say, "I guess you know where this is going... I'm not interested".

I close the door and think. Wow... I'm that grumpy old guy on the corner.

Something just like this also happened about a month ago.

A guy in a suite stops me as I'm getting into my truck to drive way.
"Excuse me, I'm with a financial planing company, and would like to talk to you about how I could help you make better financial decisions, etc".
Me, "No thanks, I've got that covered".
"What? You have what covered"?
"My financial decicions... unlike some people, I make very wise decisions, and don't need help".
"Oh, so you have IRA's and CDs, etc"?
"No... IRAs and CDs are in the dumps right now.... You'll be lucky if you clear 2% a year. You think that's a wise investment? A person with some experience can make 2% in one day on well played stock trade versus waiting a whole year".
"So, you trade stocks?"
"No. I just know how to make wise, financial decisions. Good day to you sir".

...and off I went. I'm also that grumpy guy in the driveway.

S

stefen

I must live in your neighborhood...

Let me tell you about the ones you missed ;D

There's the guy that paints the street addresses (after the silly butt has already painted your address out) and now he wants money to repaint what was good enough before...grumble-grumble

Last week there was 2 neighbor girls about 5 or so trick or treating...I said Holloween was weeks ago so they outright asked for any spare candy...great laugh

And the list goes on as you well know...

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
In our area "no soliciting" signs are taken as an invite, when I point to the prominently
displayed sign, they ask "what does that mean"..no kidding. ???

The latest trick is to dump fliers (printed at home with near empty ink cartridges) in
the mail box, the last one had four seperate phone numbers with three scratched out.

It is getting more difficult maintaining composure while dealing with people who refuse
to read or simply ignore the sign. :angry5:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
maybe keep a box of junk literature and just open the door and say "glad you came by to get this" hand it to them and close the door? lol

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
The latest trick is to dump fliers (printed at home with near empty ink cartridges) in
the mail box, the last one had four seperate phone numbers with three scratched out.

I call the numbers back and ask for the company owners name. I proceed to tell them it's to file charges for trespass, messing with the mail and/or littering.

The last one I called was a landscaper that had little business fliers taped to rocks. After the call I noticed someone skulking past my driveway. By the time I made it out the door, there was a little mexican going down the street picking up the notes. Guess he was collecting the evidence.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Call the post office and complain that you have been getting mail in your box with no postage on it. IT IS ILLEGAL to use the mailbox for putting flyers into.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread