Who does this?!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
A couple of weeks ago a guy standing on the corner with a sign will work for food. So I was going into Wal-mart. Picked up some extra stuff and stopped to give it to him. He refused it and cussed me out.

Last time I was visiting family in Chicago, I saw a "homeless" man and gave him some money. My cousin told me I had been taken. I asked why and later that evening she drove me by this VERY nice home in the suburbs. Guess who was in the front yard mowing the lawn? Yep the "homeless" guy. Turns out he was making about $1,000.00 a week doing this, all tax free.

Two days ago I pulled into a gas station and two young girls (early twenties) were standing out in front asking for money to help pay for gas so they could get home to St. Louis. I gave them some money because I felt bad for them. Paid for my gas and drove across the street and looked back. They were coming out of the store with alcohol they had just bought with "MY" money.

I still feel the best thing to do is to try and help people out but it sucks when you get taken like that.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Give a man a fish... he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish...

I still think it was a wonderful gesture... and folks shouldn't beat themselves up over following their heart.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, could you put me up for a couple weeks? My position at the office was outsourced to India and I'm a little down on my luck right now. Much appreciated!
Did you know that Liberals are actually Conservatives that haven't been mugged yet?

Attachments

• packerbacker.gif
    packerbacker.gif
    125 KB · Views: 357

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
titanicgirl said:
Willie...a friend has informed me that right now we have tons of "beggars" in our area right now because of the cold whether up north.
so just dont be an idiot like I was!
:-[
I haven't noticed an increase in beggars, but that very well could be. I know there is a group of homeless that live in the woods behind where I work. They are usually standing out on the medians at the nearby intersections with some BS cardboard sign. People give them money quite frequently and I just shake my head. I know that money is going straight towards a 24 pack of their favorite beer. When I come to work the next morning, I find our loading dock was used as the designated drinking spot among other things.

Again, I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, it's the season of giving and that's what they're counting on.

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
omg...well,so much for our little beggar...now she is on the 6pm news she carjacked a senior citizen,injuring this poor woman who was taken to local hospital, took the woman's car to a local bar where the police apprehended her, now she is in big trouble.......she was 5'6" long dark hair grey sweater....same beggar Kelly.....same one i saw...oh and this happend at the target on little road....must be her....guess my dad was right......next time just tell them to get a friggin job..........i don't care if you want to drink or do drugs , but for the love of god do them on your own dime, like everyone else does...thats what i'm gunna tell them..........................................................Limo Bob

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
There is a law against this. It's called "theft by deception". But, police do NOT do anything about it. I never give beggers money. You only enable them to continue to beg. I remember when some local college girl held a sign while on the middle island of a red light. bikini top, and tight little shorts (very good looker). Her sign read, "Need money for college books" (or something like that). The police quickly put an end to that... however, they won't stop a person from taking your money illegally walking out of target.

Happened to me a long time ago before I hardened up. Gave a guy $5 for gas so he could "make it to see his sick mom". Saw him an hour later doing the same thing. I told him I'd call the law if I didn't get my $5 back. I got my $5 back.

People like this need to be taking out of sight and given a$$ kickin like no other. You live by the sword, expect to get cut. No whining either.

//stuff like this pisses me off.

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my neighbor and I just had a long laugh about it!
She couldn't believe I gave up money to a scum bag like that...but i did... and we had a laugh about all
the things I wish I could do to her! none of them nice! but still... its done.. and honestly we
all can laugh at my stupidity and "innocence"!! and like I said be happy that for one fix she didn't need to Wh@re
herself out to get it.... that must be a sad life!

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Watch everywhere. Several years ago I was down south visiting my mother and Dan flew down to help me out with nursing home arrangements. On his way down, he had a young thing come up to him and tell him that she needed $100 to get to where she had to get to due to flight interruptions. He handed over a $100 bill to her and asked for an address. She gave him one.

Of course he never saw that $100 again, and the ticket he travelled on down south was on a credit card, plus the cash he carried with him. He wrote to that address a couple of times, but of course nothing was ever forthcoming. Some people are just too crooked, and others are just too giving. We paid on that one for a long time.

Noodle

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
titanicgirl said:
Today while I was walking into Target (with a three year old) a woman comes up to me and was crying and telling me she needed some money.

So being its the holidays I gave her two twenties.

Well, I guess we know where she got the forty bucks to buy a gun with so she could car-jack them people.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
A drug addict is not a beggar - it's a thief. Sorry to sound lousy on this but I have first hand experience with people like that. It's why I have custody of my daughter. No teeth, as stated above, is a sure sign of a crackhead or a meth addict.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

I was taken by pretty much the same thing this last summer, only it was two girls instead of one. They told me they were "down on their luck" which was evident by the skimpy clothes they were wearing, two college co-eds. They started by washing my windshield and worked their way into the interior, doing my dashboard, everything..... all the while sporting their low cut halter tops and short shorts. I told them I didn't have any money, but while one distracted me, the other already had her hands on my wallet and went through it thoroughly!

I was taken on a Tuesday, as I remember. Then again on Thursday, and the following Sunday, too!

Don't ever fall for this scam guys! :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy or gal on the corner of a busy street with a " will work" sign usually works in a team of two. One will sit in a car out of sight while the other stands there with the sign and especially in cold weather , they will often change places. I have seen them working their thing a dozen times. If you offer them work they will make an excuse. What they want is cash and many people are fooled by them. I've heard they make 30 to 40 thousand a year. Monty

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife told me that coming home from work there was a homeless looking guy on the street corner by a Popeye's Fried Chicken joint with a cardboard sign that said "Starving! Need $5 to eat!", and he was pointing to the Popeyes big advertisement of their $5 meal deal. Apparently he didn't realize he was across the street from our homeless outreach center complete with big sign offering lodging and free food. So my wife is stopped at the corner for a red light and the beggar looks at her and points to his sign. She points to the 'mission'. He points to his sign and the Popeyes billboard. She points to the mission. This goes on for a while.... probably looked pretty funny, them gesticulating at each other. Finally she rolls down her window a little and says "There's free food right across the street if you're hungry!" So the guy finally looks around and sees the homeless shelter. He snaps back around and snarls "Leave me alone!!". She smiles, waves and drives off.
She said the next day he was there, but his sign said "Desperate! Need $$ for medication!" ;D
From her description, I think I saw him too a few days later, at the same street corner, with a squeegee. He didn't have a bucket of water or anything tho, so I don't know how he expected to wash windows? Maybe he was planning on people paying him NOT to 'clean' their windshield?! I was stopped at the light and he was walking towards my row of traffic, where I was the first vehicle. I was in my truck, so I had an excellent field of visibility. When we made eye contact I gave him my best 'cop-stare' and shook my head 'NO' very slowly. He hurried on down the line.
He's been gone for quite a while, so some other street corner probably 'inherited' him. I know there are people who make lots of tax free money doing that; all you need is no pride or self-respect..............
Back when I was doing police work, we would pick beggars and panhandlers up and take them to the local shelter. It was run by a collective of churches that provided people with what they need to get off the street or get where they were going (if stranded). If we found them panhandling again we gave them a free room at the "Greybar Hotel".... :wink: After they got out we didn't usually see them again.

I don't give them money either. I give them advice about local services tho........... funny how they don't seem to want a 'solution' to their problem(s).

Then again, I always joked this would be me when I was 65:

10958_22_01_08_1_31_52.jpg
:laughing11:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't give nothing to no one. Everytime I'm getting fuel I hear the same sob story. I need gas to get home. Oh well, not my problem. >:(

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Well crap. I answered a Craig's List ad. for "Help a Family for Christmas". I have been in email contact with the poster, and have comitted to providing a Christmas Dinner for her family (herself, 3 kids, and her Mom). Hope I'm not getting scammed. But, I am giving goods, not cash. Please let this be legit.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sounds like you are doing an awesome thing ramjet! May the Lord bless you abundantly for your caring, giving heart!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread