I.C.E. IN CASE of EMERGENCY. Check this out!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I C E - IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene
of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory
but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our
closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people
attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes,
there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case
of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly.

It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell (mobile) phones are
carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number
of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under
the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that
when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with
patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought
that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for
this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and
hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the
number you have stored as 'ICE.'

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2
and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!
Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile
phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody
will know about this . It really could save your life, or put a loved one's
mind at rest . ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

S

seger98

I understand the concept behind what you are saying but....

As a former EMT & fire chief (EMT for 15 years) unless this concept of ICE was incorporated into a training program, I highly doubt that 90 some % of EMT's or paramedics out there would pickup a strangers phone & then call a stranger to tell them that perhaps their loved one was in some kind of accident.

The ABC's are the first concern, Airway, Breathing & Circulation. No time to call there.

A true medical emergency, heart attack, shock (hemorrhagic, septic & anaphalactic) spinal cord, brain injury are all load & go anyway & again wouldn't require a call.

In some cases yes I could see it being a great idea, but I think to one call I was on that the lady wanted me to call her son to tell him his father had just died............ And I would hate to be in that situation again. To call a total stranger and ask for info. about a loved one. Is the person I'm calling a frantic mother? A person that might over react and cause an accident on the way to the hospital themselves?

I don't know, I could see it working in a few cases, that's if there was a training program in place & like the 911 system in the country, everyone knows about it, not just the EMT's or paramedics.

S

seger98

I think I should be more clear, I do think it's a great idea, but......

I would think that by now every man, woman & child in America knows what 911 is.

So if everyone was trained in America what ICE was I think it would be an asset. We would need to train people NOT to be hysterical when a call is received!

Good Idea in the long run! :thumbsup:

Chris

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I have seen this email. When I was in the fire dept and ran with the ambulance, notifying a family member was the last thing on my mind. I was concerned with treating what was wrong and transporting them to the hospital. The only people I can see this useful for is the hospital personal to notify the family.

My kids will be getting medical alert bracelets next year and will have contact numbers on the bracelet. For my daughter, it would be important for the hospital to contact me ASAP if she was ever taken in without me being with her. I can only put so much on the bracelet and all her stuff might not fit.

Sue

T

trish76642

I have always told my kids, you put "MOM" or "Dad" in your cell phones!
I put "Hubby", "Daughter", "Sister", "Brother" instead of names incase of emergencys.

When my daughter had a wreck, there just happened to be a house right across the highway and the lady saw it happen, it was because my daughter had "MOM" logged in her cell phone that the lady called and told me my child had just been in an accident. The lady got her cell phone after making sure she was ok, scanned through it and found me...I was so thankful for that.

Some of you may not think this is important but it is!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
~Trish~ said:
I put "Hubby", "Daughter", "Sister", "Brother" instead of names incase of emergencys.

When my daughter had a wreck, there just happened to be a house right across the highway and the lady saw it happen, it was because my daughter had "MOM" logged in her cell phone that the lady called and told me my child had just been in an accident. The lady got her cell phone after making sure she was ok, scanned through it and found me...I was so thankful for that.

Better yet, put HOME as one of your entries. MOM or DAD is good if they are living near by. HOME works if you have someone home to be called.

In my case MOM would not work well since my mother is very elderly and lives 140 miles away. WIFE, Brother etc.. would be a good idea.

Ray S

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great replies to this. I already had my house phone number listed as home but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this. Merry Christmas everybody.

DANGLANGLEY

T

trish76642

Ray S ECenFL said:
~Trish~ said:

Better yet, put HOME as one of your entries. MOM or DAD is good if they are living near by. HOME works if you have someone home to be called.

In my case MOM would not work well since my mother is very elderly and lives 140 miles away. WIFE, Brother etc.. would be a good idea.

Ray S
I've got it all Ray...daddy, brother, sister, HOME...they'll know i got a big family if they go through my cell phone...lol :thumbsup:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I put mine in as "ICE-Wife" (When she saw it, she thought I was being insulting until I explained it) and "ICE-Parents"

Diggem'

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Diggemall said:
I put mine in as "ICE-Wife" (When she saw it, she thought I was being insulting until I explained it)

:) lol :)
I'd probably react the same as her :P

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
I put mine in as "ICE-Wife" (When she saw it, she thought I was being insulting until I explained it) and "ICE-Parents"
Diggem'

I did the same thing and when I showed my wife I got a strange look, lol...

DANGLANGLEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread