Is a volcano big enough to cause an ice age really about to blow its top?

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
pippinwhitepaws said:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

the frightening thing about this caldera historically, it is moving northwest..oh, the way i understand the topic, the closer to the surface of the earth, the more destructive the quake.
todays quake, while small, was close to the surface.

Thanks for the link, Yellowstone is probably my most favorite place on the planet to visit, was there 4 years ago and want to visit before its gone.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pimp Lenin said:
I better check on my supplies. It takes a lot of ammo to become a warlord in a post-apocolyptic society.
Toilet paper also :wink:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and a shovel ::)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pimp Lenin said:
I better check on my supplies. It takes a lot of ammo to become a warlord in a post-apocolyptic society.

:D

Dibbs on being Pennsylvania's Warlord :thumbsup:

I'll run the area with an Iron Fis/ aaah, Err "Relic"

Maybe I'll just become a "Tracker" :coffee2:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if the western part of the US sinks into the ocean, I'll have ocean front property

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any event like this occures I am prepared for it. How can I be, you say? I am still flexible enough to bend over and grab my A$........
:tongue3:

Burdie

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And..

Attachments

• www_Sticker_Tk_kiss_my_ass.jpg
    www_Sticker_Tk_kiss_my_ass.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 204

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I would still have to go to work the next day. >:(

B

BIG61AL

I remember seeing a program about yellowstone and the hidden dangers.....a Major eruption would cause a massive damage on a wide scale in the western states with global implications of immense size.....I have noted the recent earthquake activity in the news...a more likely scenario is of a series of larger earthquakes followed by a eruption on a smaller scale than the "big one"...then a period of low activity and gradual build to the next larger event

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Sniffer said:
if the western part of the US sinks into the ocean, I'll have ocean front property

until the tsunami comes back and you have to surf to chicago. siegfried schlagrule

P

pippinwhitepaws

one earthquake this morning off shore la paz...5.5...one out in the atlantic...5.3. not many earthquakes in the atlantic ocean?
few tv reports on the 7.4 to hit Indonesia on sat morning.

i watch the earthquake site like most people watch tv, strange things occuring.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are 'reporting' it on the local news, now. I guess there is a 'break' in the action, for now.

They were saying that since the caldera is 32 miles long and 8 miles wide, the quakes are too isolated and not strong enough (3.9 being the largest) to be alarmed, (yea, right) - but if they started getting stronger, rather than the consistently in the 1-3.9 range, it might signal an impending problem (gee, ya think?)

However, like someone said, I remember even the east coast was affected by Mt. St. Helens (sunset differences and air quality), but Yellowstone would be, if it were to blow its stack, the impact would be about 7-10 times larger. They say they are basing this on the last explosions, which left ash more than 1000 miles away, in Nebraska (not counting what stays airborn and drifts eastward.)

If the effects lasted for a year or so, enough sunlight could be covered up to cause some major issues, at best.

Oh well, maybe it will blow in 2012 - the predicted 'end of the world'. :tongue3:

B

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting