Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon looks at taxing mileage instead of gasoline

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon is among a growing number of states exploring ways to tax drivers based on the number of miles they drive instead of how much gas they use, even going so far as to install GPS monitoring devices in 300 vehicles.

Congress is talking about it, too. A congressional commission has envisioned a system similar to the prototype Oregon tested in 2006-2007.

James Whitty, the Oregon Department of Transportation employee in charge of the state's effort, said he's also heard talk of mileage tax proposals in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Colorado and Minnesota.

The National Commission on Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing is considering calling for higher gas taxes to keep highways, bridges and transit programs in good shape.

But over the long term, commission members say, the nation should consider taxing mileage rather than gasoline as drivers use more fuel-efficient and electric vehicles.

Though the GPS devices did not track the cars' locations in great detail, they could determine when a driver had left certain zones, such as the state of Oregon. They also kept track of the time the driving was done, so a premium could be charged for rush-hour mileage.

Here Comes Big Brother.

No way am I Ever going to let the Government Follow me around !!!!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Ha! My odometer is busted. Miles driven per year: zero ;D :D

California already adds a tax on people who generate their own electricity. The "logic" is that it's not "fair" that the people who get their electricity from the power companies will have to pay more to make up for the "loss" of the people who are energy independent. :icon_scratch:

Well, I say start letting your reps know now that punishing people for conserving energy (which we've been told to do for years!?) is not going to be good for their re-election chances....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread