What Do You Make?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IM001186.JPG
    IM001186.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IM001231.JPG
    IM001231.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IM001188.JPG
    IM001188.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IM001263.JPG
    IM001263.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IM001922.JPG
    IM001922.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IM001924.JPG
    IM001924.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 224
S

stefen

Full-scale carousel horse hand carved

Attachments

• 100_0112.jpg
    100_0112.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 218
S

stefen

Unicorn said:
Did you carve that horse Stefan? It's absolutely lovely.

Absolutely...hence, the post title: What Do You Make?

Hand carved in the traditional manner and with basswood...full-scale carousel horse...white primered ready to paint...beleive I will leave it with a gloss white finish...more impressive than paint

Steel shoes, brass pole, cast iron floor base

Sits in my entry courtyard

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I built this car (1962 Nova Convertible), I found it in the woods with trees growing through the floors. I had to cut out the trees to even load it on a trailer. It took me 4 yrs but i finally finished it and after 26 yrs of sitting, I drove it on a 11 hour trip to Kansas, it's alot of fun. I now am building another and it is more of a project than this one.

Nova Treasure

Attachments

• mvc-440f.jpg
    mvc-440f.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 200
  • mvc-440f.jpg
    mvc-440f.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 194
S

stefen

texastee2007 said:
stefen said:
Unicorn said:
Did you carve that horse Stefan? It's absolutely lovely.

Absolutely...hence, the post title: What Do You Make?

Hand carved in the traditional manner and with basswood...full-scale carousel horse...white primered ready to paint...beleive I will leave it with a gloss white finish...more impressive than paint

Steel shoes, brass pole, cast iron floor base

Sits in my entry courtyard

how long did it take for you to carve it? Did you have to Glue several boards together to make a piece big enough to carve? Are you going to make others...like the lion and frog... a carousel horse is so many little girls' dream. Thank you.

With the exception of the body, the head, neck, tail, and four legs are made is from solid timbers.

The body is made somewhat like a box with 3 inch planks then its bandsawn for rough form.

There are wood joints in the legs which are then bandsawn for rough form too.

This is a giant excercise in joinery...after each piece is roughed out on the bandsaw, the pieces are fitted and trimmed so there is an invisible joint.

Then the pieces are separated and individually carved and then fitted to the companion piece and the carving is married.

Eventually, after all of the pieces are rough carved, the horse is carefully glued and clamped...takes days...

Then the final carving and shaping is completed, sanding becomes the final step...

The wood is then sealed and is primed...sanded & reprimed...sanded & reprimed...sanded & reprimed...sanded & reprimed...

The joints are so tight that there is absolutely no spackle or joint fillers...

This project took about 6 months to complete working spare nights and possibly a Sunday afternoons...

I carved this animal because I couldn't afford to buy an original...so I copied an original but made substancial changes in the rythm and movements, and the saddle and trimmings...

Would I do it again...heck, I already proved to myself that I could do it...

Don't ask the cost...a bunch of bucks in wood...a lot of sandpaper...a gallon of primer and a few brushes...and some bandaids...

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Oh,oh,oh...I read the windchime posts and felt compelled to add a couple of my sun catchers. I use natural holed stones, beads, mirrors, rusty, kicky items I find digging..whatever and attach it to driftwood I find at my favorite Great Lake beaches:)

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 200
  • holicatcher.jpg
    holicatcher.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 192

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
AU24K

I love the windchimes and would have them hanging from every tree and all around the house!!! My husband is always bringing home the brass ends off of water windmills. It is about 1 1/2" or so, he isn't home to tell me the exact size and about 24" to 30" long....I've always wondered if they wouldn't make wonderful windchimes cut into different lengths. Thank you for your posting.
The wind chimes were made out of pot lids purchased at a thrift store for $0.10 each and the chimes were made out of 1/2 inch electrical conduit pipe. I had the chain from an electrical job that was left over and the wind flappers were cut out of plastic plates also purchased at the thrift store. After I made them, I gave them out at Church on Mother's day to several of the ladies there.
Thanks for looking!
Scott

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made this row boat a couple years ago .

Attachments

• boat 002.jpg
    boat 002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 145
  • boat 004.jpg
    boat 004.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 132
  • boat 007.jpg
    boat 007.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 142
  • boat 011.jpg
    boat 011.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 141

bigfuzzybelly

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2010
the first 1 is a red jade and sterling silver rodsary #2 is a carved bone and adate bead rosary #3 is coper and bone rosary

Attachments

• redjade.jpg
    redjade.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 84
  • skullrosary1.jpg
    skullrosary1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 136
  • coperskullrosary.jg.jpg
    coperskullrosary.jg.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 133

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
mojjax said:
I made this row boat a couple years ago .

VERY cool Mojaxx - miniatures take a LOT of patience to get them to look right.

Diggem'
Love the details, rust stains from the hardware, the rope, and where the rope rubbed the paint off, the oars, the wear on the paint from the rowers butt and feet, overall wear and tear, all of it is just superb. :thumbsup:

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread