Never rent from Dollar Rent A Car

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
On a recent trip, I went through an online travel site to 'save' a couple bucks. After arriving to my destination, I told the rental agent behind the counter that I did NOT want insurance. She agreed, and after some typing, she handed a full page of fine print in front of me and circled the important information like 'Mid-sized car' and ' Rental Return Date' and finally, 'Estimated Total Charges', which came out to $51. That was fine by me, just as long as it said $51, I didn't need to read anything else. What was NOT on the bill, was that this was NOT the "Total Estimated Charges". In fact, it was a completely different set of charges altogether, that are charged in addition to what you already paid online through the travel site. After the trip, I looked further, trying to find out why stuff didn't add up. I found out that the bill I signed for at the counter was for Rental Insurance that I did not want and some other small fees like lot use fee, etc. In addition, on the receipt, after turning the car in, had insurance at $14.99 a day, not $9 a day like the contact said. There was also another fee that somehow jumped an additional $11 from what was listed on the initial contract. In all, the 'extra' charges were $78, not $51, because of the rate differences from the initial contact price and the post rental price. How can they tell you rental insurance is this much, but charge you something different later? Bait and switch? Fraud? Hopefully, somewhere, someday, an attorney will fill a class action lawsuit against these people.

I will never rent from Dollar again. Very deceptive people.

Incidentally, during my three days of being on the phone, the first agent couldn't even tell me what the $78 was for. They guessed it was a gas charge for not returning on full (to which I did).

S

Smee

Scam artists come in all shapes, forms, and fashions.

Stand up for yourself, because if you wait for an attorney to file a "class action", he will be the only one who gets anything.

The attorney gets 30-50% off the top, and the administrative fees (which are NOT covered in HIS fees) usually eat up the rest.

Get your original contract(s), compare to your bill. If the numbers don't match, small claims is the way to go:

• No attorney for you, but you have your contracts in order, right? If they defrauded you, you have the evidence.
  • Even if they think they can pull one over on you, it isn't worth it to them for such a small amount. Our attorney charges $800/hr to show up in court, and we are a small company. It would have to be an awful big total to justify that much money.
Besides, you might even get a little bit of money for your inconvenience.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Well, I don't really want anything back... it's really just the principal of the thing. Them doing these things to customers, KNOWING that customers are being charged different than what's on the contract... And... if it were class action, they're looking at millions, instead of just a few buck.

I'd rather someone kick where it really hurts. Right in the nads. Then, after they got up, kick 'em again... Repeat this until blood is gushing from every orifice of they body.

Sorry. I got a little out of hand there for a sec.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hertz did the same thing to me last year. $78.00 gas charge and I filled up less than a mile from the return lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread