Troubleshoot my Harley Fatboy - UPDATE! Fixed

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
FLSTFI

She had a dead battery (one year old) because of the severe cold this winter so I hooked her up to the trickle-charger... nothing new.

While still hooked up I turned to accessories on to make sure the juice was flowing... it was.

20 minutes later I turned the ignition on, flipped the "on" switch, and pressed the start button... again - nothing new.

Except this time - Sparks flew from the positive clamp and now when I turn the ignition switch to "Ignition" I get no power... ???

I'm pissed - I wanted to ride to work tomorrow, not shop for a part!

Who are the motor heads out there? I checked all the 15 amp fuses... they are all good to go. What's up? :icon_scratch:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Troubleshoot my Harley Fatboy

I am no motorhead, but it sounds like it must be a short somewhere...either in the bike or, possibly, in the charger itself. Do you have a meter?

TBGO

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i will pray :coffee2:

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

The Beep Goes On said:
I am no motorhead, but it sounds like it must be a short somewhere...either in the bike or, possibly, in the charger itself. Do you have a meter?

TBGO

I feared a short... the accessories still light up but the switch is blown in the other direction. I have a meter but am too harley-tarded to know which wires to check! LMAO

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

Wish I could offer advice, Truth is I know very little about bikes, I would suggest however that it would not be uncommon to have a larger fuse for the starter motor that may be in an entirely different location than all the others you checked.

The sparks off the positive cable, did they arc across to the frame or other metal or simply "sparked"?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Montana Jim said:
The Beep Goes On said:

TBGO

I feared a short... the accessories still light up but the switch is blown in the other direction. I have a meter but am too harley-tarded to know which wires to check! LMAO

I feel your pain...just getting to the connections can be a major chore. At the minimum you could check the battery voltage across the terminals. Then it would be a case of ruling out each system...but you know it is probably the ignition. You could check the leads to the ignition coil with the key on. If you pull your start button you could check those too.

I have fried some stuff before, so I tend to let the shop handle it. :tard:

TBGO

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

The Beep Goes On said:
Montana Jim said:
The Beep Goes On said:

TBGO

I feel your pain...just getting to the connections can be a major chore. At the minimum you could check the battery voltage across the terminals. Then it would be a case of ruling out each system...but you know it is probably the ignition. You could check the leads to the ignition coil with the key on. If you pull your start button you could check those too.

I have fried some stuff before, so I tend to let the shop handle it. :tard:

TBGO

I'd rather push it ten miles than try to be smarter than an shorted out wire... LOL... Thanks though - I'm thinking it's what blacksheep said - the larger and un-checkable ignition thingy fuse.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim, I had a similar problem on my 1995 Dyna glide convertible.
I took the cover off the box on the shifter side of the battery [fuse box ?]
The terminals are very close together and I found that two were shorting out.
Loosening the screws and re adjusting the angles of the connecters solved the problem.

Attachments

• 15_8_211[1].gif
    15_8_211[1].gif
    22 KB · Views: 806
  • 15_8_211[1].gif
    15_8_211[1].gif
    22 KB · Views: 805
OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Merf said:
Jim, I had a similar problem on my 1995 Dyna glide convertible.
I took the cover off the box on the shifter side of the battery [fuse box ?]
The terminals are very close together and I found that two were shorting out.
Loosening the screws and re adjusting the angles of the wires solved the problem.

Merf! I knew a real biker would help me out... I'm like a much cooler version of Wild Hogs... LMFAO!

That sounds like a real shade-tree solution - I'll check that tomorrow... thank you :)

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good to hear from you Jim.
Hope that is your fix. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P

pippinwhitepaws

when you have the cover plate off, see if the cable is tight...sparks with out smoke are a loose connection...or a poor connection...a year is a long time for a bike not to have the battery serviced.

a dead short would have nice little wisps of smoke coming from somewhere. not a good thing.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

pippinwhitepaws said:
when you have the cover plate off, see if the cable is tight...sparks with out smoke are a loose connection...or a poor conncetion...a year is a long time for a bike not to have the battery serviced.

a dead short would have nice little wisps of smoke coming from somewhere. not a good thing.

Hmmmm... whisps of smoke... I did'nt notice. Damnit.

The power comes on for the accessories but turn the same switch the other way - nadda.

I last rode in um... Late October.

P

pippinwhitepaws

ok...where did you see the spark?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Jim, you've gotta' get a meter to that battery. Optimally it should be 12.6 V. A messed up battery can exceed that if it accepted too much of a charge, which can mess up your starter solenoid, or worse yet, your starter motor.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

NHbenz said:
Jim, you've gotta' get a meter to that battery. Optimally it should be 12.6 V. A messed up battery can exceed that if it accepted too much of a charge, which can mess up your starter solenoid, or worse yet, your starter motor.

It's a freaking new battery! Damnit... LOL I've rode her across the country and back... now I killed her! :tard: :'(

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

I've seen a lot of aftermarket batteries that only lasted a year, but usually ones used less than than I know you use yours. What kind of battery are we dealing with?

P

pippinwhitepaws

ok, jim...all battery 's have a shelf life...i still believe you have a loose conncetion...
or a nasty case of aliens moving in between the battery post and the cable connector. in arizona, there is this black buildup that forms on cables and connectors...looks like silver left in the ground...
clean to shiny...dry and tighten.

there is enough energy going through loose or dirty connector to power the accessory...but the load of the starter poos it out

oops..forgot...you can blow a fuse, and it not be visible to the naked eye...test light time.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Ben - it's a sealed cell deal-e-o... um, I don't have the brand name in front of me.  :-[

Whitepaws... I'll clean the terminals tomorrow maybe... I have to work through the weekend so this may happen like next week sometime.

Maybe the problem is the loose nut riding it?

I sure appreciate you guys... you too Ben.  :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread