Dryer on the fritz...no heat

S

Smee

Read it kinda quick, but having been an appliance trouble shooter . . . one thing is missing:

Did you check to make sure ONE SIDE of the breaker/fuse didn't trip?

On a 220 v dryer, one side (110v, we'll say "phase I" for convenience) is for the timer and motor, the other side (110v, we'll say "phase II" for convenience) is just for the heating element. If that side trips (and if you used two single breakers instead of a locked double breaker, it will be the side that trips) you will get NO HEAT, but the basket will spin and the timer will work.

220v is actually two different phases of 110v with a common ground or neutral. The biggest load is on the heating element side. Fixed a lot of dead dryers by flipping that breaker or changing the fuse.

Lots cheaper than a heating element, which seldom fails unless the unit is quite old.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smee said:
Read it kinda quick, but having been an appliance trouble shooter . . . one thing is missing:

Did you check to make sure ONE SIDE of the breaker/fuse didn't trip?

On a 220 v dryer, one side (110v, we'll say "phase I" for convenience) is for the timer and motor, the other side (110v, we'll say "phase II" for convenience) is just for the heating element. If that side trips (and if you used two single breakers instead of a locked double breaker, it will be the side that trips) you will get NO HEAT, but the basket will spin and the timer will work.

220v is actually two different phases of 110v with a common ground or neutral. The biggest load is on the heating element side. Fixed a lot of dead dryers by flipping that breaker or changing the fuse.

Lots cheaper than a heating element, which seldom fails unless the unit is quite old.
The Beep Goes On said:
It's fixed. Continuity check failed on the element so I replaced it and the dryer now works.

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated :)

HH!
TBGO
No continuity = bad element.

Yes, thats good to know about the breaker. Sometimes a 220volt motor will still turn (slowly) with 120volt from one side of the double breaker. Or it may have a 120volt motor and timer.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info...I checked the breaker (both) first thing. Then I removed the vent tube so it could not have any potential bockages and that didn't help. Pulled the front kick panel and pulled the entire heating assembly and checked continuity and resistance on all three parts. Everything checked out except the element. Tried to do as little as possible because I am lazy ;D

Beep

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a dryer problem but, washer once called the man and he asked what was wrong and told him would not shut off and he said he bet a mouse had ate a ole in vaccum line, went to store bought 4 foot of line pulled screws out put on new line and worked fine, he said the vaccum line to a mouse is like catnip to a cat. I replaced all by my self and did it one more time since I learned how so if I can do it anybody can learn how to do some repairs!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
The Beep Goes On said:
I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you think this is something I can fix and save some $$, or if I need to call someone.

Thanks,
TBGO

got a great way

Clothes Line :wink: save energy and get that fresh air into your clothes. :thumbsup: If you hang them inside out they also don't fade either lol :tongue3:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dryer here they get hung in the line and some things in the winter on hangers on the shower rod. then if Im desprate for somethin laundramat! I do miss having a dryer sometime though.

KHicks

Jun 9, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
bh
no washer or dryer but me and my dad did replace my fuses in my car for the das lights it had blow lol saved me a buch not haveing to go in and have the dealer do it

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Bridge End Farm said:
got a great way

Clothes Line :wink: save energy and get that fresh air into your clothes. :thumbsup: If you hang them inside out they also don't fade either lol :tongue3:

Clothes lines?... :o ...In the "civilized" place I live...Clothes lines are not allowed....Don't you realize what a blight these things bring to our carefully controlled and regulated communities...My area is full of educated, refined and well-to-do people...We spend most of our time rallying for the protection of our environment, recycling and preservation of our resources...We built our giant houses with their large carbon footprint and chemically treated lawns so we can relax after fighting the good fight..So don't think you are going come here and start hanging your clothes outside where we can see them to save energy...Besides..the nannies around here got enough to do raising our children...Our pampered kids don't need to be exposed to your unmentionables either..they get enough sexual kicks from TV, video games and the internet.....We've got laws against this type of behavior for a reason...It offends us...along with anything else that doesn't meet our self-centered high standards...The nerve of you....Give you an inch and you'll take a mile...Next thing you know people are going to want to start flying the American flag in their yards too... :wink:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my sooooo sorry to offened your childerns view when they only time they are seeing back yard is for the pool and tennis courts. I understand their parties are the only time to see something in their yards! :o The nannies I am not worried about they are to busy with all the hard work they have to do to keep secrets from the parents and kids! ::) As for your neighorhood gated community heads the only thing they are worried about is goverment so and so's seeing those nanny's and wanting their visa and proof that the taxes are being paid. And that if someone wants to buy a house an eye sore to them like that might devalue the property in the area. How much of a fine would it cost to get caught changing a tire in your drive on your own with out calling AAA? ;D Oh the shame of it all!
Aint no clothesline ever gonna be thar thats fer sure! :icon_sunny:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wouldnt live in a place you described but those look-a-like gated communities have taken over South Florida. :(

Attachments

• SuburbanBliss4.jpg
    SuburbanBliss4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 149

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have an area kind of like that here where all the mail boxes are uniform and the decorating at Christmas was uniformed but, not anymore after Conoco had there last lay off a few years ago, the people moved away and different ones are there now non-Conoco and they do what they want! Use to they could not even have boats or campers out to be seen, and if you had a car that was more that a couple of years old ......
Best place to go for Haloween candy ;D

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
try the heating element if thats the problem it's very easy to change and saves a service call.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
camperlee said:
try the heating element if thats the problem it's very easy to change and saves a service call.
Its already fixed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread