Dryer on the fritz...no heat
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

Dryer on the fritz...no heat

Our clothes dryer (Kenmore Elite - electric, 220v) spins, but doesn't blow hot air. I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you think this is something I can fix and save some $$, or if I need to call someone.

Thanks,
    TBGO

us
    Jun 2008
    Alabama
    bh
    13 times

Re: Dryer on the fritz...no heat

maybe heating element .. but dont know how much it would be . my parents had thiers go out a few yrs ago but dont remember what it cost to fix

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    19 times

Ray S ECenFL

us
    Jan 2007
    South Carolina
    Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
    153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My guess would also be the heating element. Might be a pain in the butt to fix but worth the time...if you are like me and they say it should take 30 mins...give yourself a weekend..

Feb 2005
    Tioga Co. Pa.
    11 times

Most likely heating element. I have replaced several for my customers and one for myself.
    Easy to do. If you have a parts manual, look at it and it will show you where it is located.
    Not to expensive. Go online and find the best prices.

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

Thanks everyone! I will start the research for parts. BTW - no smoke, no smell...I had figured it was the element, but didn't know how hard it was to replace. I will look at the links kindly provided by Ray.

Thanks!
    TBGO

us
    Feb 2007
    The Constituition State
    Ace250
    13 times

And don't forget to unplug it before you go poking around....

Not suggesting you don't know any better....but sometimes folks tend to forget...

A friends relative was killed while attemping to fix his dryer....because he forgot to unplug it...110 is more "forgiving"....220 is likely to kill you...
    The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry... - Robert Burns

I miss the days that they made toys that could kill a kid.

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    2834 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Heating element. Easy to fix. Unplug and take off the back panel about 6 screws. If its an older Kenmore model like mine, it should come off with one screw on the top, 2 wires on the bottom. A wire could also have burnt off. Remove the element assembly. If burnt, you will see the coil wire broken somewhere. Also possible to be one of two thermal limiter senser disc thingys that are wired in-line.. You will see when you take it out. I replaced my element many times over the years on my Kenmore. If you dont clean out the lint from the vent and screen, it will burn out again. Cost about $20-$60. I think you can safely attempt it.

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

Cool bigcypresshunter. Is what I needed to know. And thanks for the reminder about getting zapped Copperhead

Thanks,
    TBGO

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2834 times

You should always check the breaker and the outlet first to see if you are getting at least 220 volts.

My Kenmore heating element looked like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heating element.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	271269

When it burns out, you will see the heating element wire (looks like a spring) broken. I see this one broken in several places. There are also fuses inline but mine never failed.

us
    Desiderata

Jun 2004
    Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
    7 times
    Cache Hunting

It could be the temperature limit switch on the dryer. Check to make sure all the exhaust hoses are free and clear. If there is a jam in the line anywhere the dryer overheats and the limit switch trips to prevent a fire. In my case it was the screen on the outside of the house that had gotten clogged with lint.

Spend less than $40.00, took the dryer out of it's position, pulled the main power cord from the wall, removed the back, located the switch (top sensor on the heating coil housing in my case), pulled the wires, removed the bolts, put the new switch in position and bolted down, plugged the wires back in, replaced the back, plugged in the main power, and tested the heating. Worked. Pushed back into position and it's still working. Checking the outside filter periodically to prevent it from happening again.

I bought a thermal cutoff kit (at sears parts store) PN 279769 which fits most Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Kenmore and Roper brand clothes dryers. Only used the upper limit switch since it was the one blown.

Best of luck!
    Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, be led by God in all things!

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2834 times

Quote Originally Posted by billKY
    It could be the temperature limit switch on the dryer. Check to make sure all the exhaust hoses are free and clear. If there is a jam in the line anywhere the dryer overheats and the limit switch trips to prevent a fire. In my case it was the screen on the outside of the house that had gotten clogged with lint.

Spend less than $40.00, took the dryer out of it's position, pulled the main power cord from the wall, removed the back, located the switch (top sensor on the heating coil housing in my case), pulled the wires, removed the bolts, put the new switch in position and bolted down, plugged the wires back in, replaced the back, plugged in the main power, and tested the heating. Worked. Pushed back into position and it's still working. Checking the outside filter periodically to prevent it from happening again.

I bought a thermal cutoff kit (at sears parts store) PN 279769 which fits most Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Kenmore and Roper brand clothes dryers. Only used the upper limit switch since it was the one blown.

Best of luck!
    If you have a meter (or test light) you can test those thermal cutoff switch/discs that hes speaking off. A thermal limit switch should have continuity when cold. They look like this and you may have 2 of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

OK, thank bill and bch...I'll let you know how it turns out

us
    Jan 2006
    Houston, TX
    192 times
    Metal Detecting

It's fixed. Continuity check failed on the element so I replaced it and the dryer now works.

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated

HH!
    TBGO

us
    #BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    2834 times

Quote Originally Posted by The Beep Goes On
    It's fixed. Continuity check failed on the element so I replaced it and the dryer now works.

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated

HH!
    TBGO
    I havent replaced one for several years. How much are they now? My guess is $40-$70.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links