CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

KHicks

Jun 9, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
bh
maybe heating element .. but dont know how much it would be . my parents had thiers go out a few yrs ago but dont remember what it cost to fix

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would also be the heating element. Might be a pain in the butt to fix but worth the time...if you are like me and they say it should take 30 mins...give yourself a weekend.. :icon_study:

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Most likely heating element. I have replaced several for my customers and one for myself.
Easy to do. If you have a parts manual, look at it and it will show you where it is located.
Not to expensive. Go online and find the best prices.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I will start the research for parts. BTW - no smoke, no smell...I had figured it was the element, but didn't know how hard it was to replace. I will look at the links kindly provided by Ray.

Thanks!
TBGO

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
And don't forget to unplug it before you go poking around.... :thumbsup:

Not suggesting you don't know any better....but sometimes folks tend to forget...

A friends relative was killed while attemping to fix his dryer....because he forgot to unplug it...110 is more "forgiving"....220 is likely to kill you...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heating element. Easy to fix. Unplug and take off the back panel about 6 screws. If its an older Kenmore model like mine, it should come off with one screw on the top, 2 wires on the bottom. A wire could also have burnt off. Remove the element assembly. If burnt, you will see the coil wire broken somewhere. Also possible to be one of two thermal limiter senser disc thingys that are wired in-line.. You will see when you take it out. I replaced my element many times over the years on my Kenmore. If you dont clean out the lint from the vent and screen, it will burn out again. Cost about $20-$60. I think you can safely attempt it.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool bigcypresshunter. Is what I needed to know. And thanks for the reminder about getting zapped Copperhead :thumbsup:

Thanks,
TBGO

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You should always check the breaker and the outlet first to see if you are getting at least 220 volts.

My Kenmore heating element looked like this. heating element.jpg

When it burns out, you will see the heating element wire (looks like a spring) broken. I see this one broken in several places. There are also fuses inline but mine never failed.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It could be the temperature limit switch on the dryer. Check to make sure all the exhaust hoses are free and clear. If there is a jam in the line anywhere the dryer overheats and the limit switch trips to prevent a fire. In my case it was the screen on the outside of the house that had gotten clogged with lint.

Spend less than $40.00, took the dryer out of it's position, pulled the main power cord from the wall, removed the back, located the switch (top sensor on the heating coil housing in my case), pulled the wires, removed the bolts, put the new switch in position and bolted down, plugged the wires back in, replaced the back, plugged in the main power, and tested the heating. Worked. Pushed back into position and it's still working. Checking the outside filter periodically to prevent it from happening again.

I bought a thermal cutoff kit (at sears parts store) PN 279769 which fits most Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Kenmore and Roper brand clothes dryers. Only used the upper limit switch since it was the one blown.

Best of luck!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
billKY said:
It could be the temperature limit switch on the dryer. Check to make sure all the exhaust hoses are free and clear. If there is a jam in the line anywhere the dryer overheats and the limit switch trips to prevent a fire. In my case it was the screen on the outside of the house that had gotten clogged with lint.

Spend less than $40.00, took the dryer out of it's position, pulled the main power cord from the wall, removed the back, located the switch (top sensor on the heating coil housing in my case), pulled the wires, removed the bolts, put the new switch in position and bolted down, plugged the wires back in, replaced the back, plugged in the main power, and tested the heating. Worked. Pushed back into position and it's still working. Checking the outside filter periodically to prevent it from happening again.

I bought a thermal cutoff kit (at sears parts store) PN 279769 which fits most Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Kenmore and Roper brand clothes dryers. Only used the upper limit switch since it was the one blown.

Best of luck!
If you have a meter (or test light) you can test those thermal cutoff switch/discs that hes speaking off. A thermal limit switch should have continuity when cold. They look like this and you may have 2 of them.

Attachments

• thermal limit switch.jpg
    thermal limit switch.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, thank bill and bch...I'll let you know how it turns out :coffee2:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fixed. Continuity check failed on the element so I replaced it and the dryer now works.

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated :)

HH!
TBGO

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The Beep Goes On said:
It's fixed. Continuity check failed on the element so I replaced it and the dryer now works.

Thanks for all your help!!! Much appreciated :)

HH!
TBGO
I havent replaced one for several years. How much are they now? My guess is $40-$70.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$85 - still much cheaper than having a guy come out...probably would have been $250.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The Beep Goes On said:
$85 - still much cheaper than having a guy come out...probably would have been $250.
Yes the price on those elements has gone way up. I used to buy an aftermarket element for $16 but maybe that is why I replaced so many of them. :D The last time I checked the Kenmore OEM brand was $65, about 3 years ago.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Love it when a plan comes together and saves someone money.
Good on all of you that helped all of us 'untutored'.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
that will 335 dollars please no checks :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread