What Was Your Childhood Foolishness?

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, considering the level of immaturity, I should like to think that some of my greatest foolishness surfaced in the late teen years.

Stealing yard ornaments... especially the cut-outs that are meant to look like an old woman bent over in the flower bed.

Between a dozen or more mischeivous kids, we were probably responsible for the disappearance of hundreds... no exaggeration. I've seen almost 50 liberated yard butts assembled in one place.

The fate of most of these was the bonfire.

Looking back, I'm surprised no one was ever shot! We did have a couple of incidents where sharp bits of metal or barbed wire was fastened to replacements... which we were just lucky to have grabbed so that no stitches resulted.

Theft of garden gnomes has taken its place in popular legend, but the wide-spread disappearance of yard butts across several southeastern states has yet to be portrayed in pop culture... to my knowledge. I suppose it will show up in a movie or TV show one of these days.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
My dad burnt down his parents house, true too. :wink:

truckinbutch said:
A large two story barn and several outbuildings that went up in smoke after a setting hen pecked me and I set her nest on fire probably looked pretty impressive ,too.
I don't know because the neighbors had me hid on account that my Dad was gonna kill me if he could find me .

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Didn't anyone else ever sit on an old car tire and inflate it until it exploded? The white flash, the floating sensation, the slow awakening as people came running to check on you, then chased you as you cracked up laughing and ran away...

My brother would pour a one gallon can of gas out along the lawn or drive, then go back and light the trail, then race the flame to the can.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a high speed sleigh ride in a stone quarry in Pennsylvania.

Broke by back in 3 places and put me in the hospital for a long time.

B

We did bring tractor tires up the hill, get in and roll them down the hill - until my brother ended up in the pond and almost drown.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Didn't anyone else ever sit on an old car tire and inflate it until it exploded? The white flash, the floating sensation, the slow awakening as people came running to check on you, then chased you as you cracked up laughing and ran away...

I'd like to see a video of that!
Scott

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
We used to slide down the rock quarry with an old car hood....get about ten kids on it and it could really fly....problem was the landing....dead stop....then all the kids would fly....

Putting M-80's in a five gallon gas can (empty) and running like heck...

Tying a purse to fishing line and sitting in the tree over the road waiting for someone to stop,just so you could jerk it up into the leaves....

Did you know if you pound a nail into the side of someones house and then tie fishing line to it and twang it at night....that it sounds like ghosts moaning and the people will come running out of their house ......

Making a parachute out of a bedsheet and jumping out of the hayloft door....

Tying your sister to the clothesline pole and encircling her with burning leaves so you could play cowboys and indians....

Taking your dads canoe out on a choppy lake when you were seven ,because you were a pirate and not afraid of anything....

Duck taping your cousin to a tree (including his mouth) and leaving him because he was 'bothering you"....

Finding a broken car windshield and filling your pockets with all the 'diamonds' you found.....

Riding your Stingray off the diving board at the swimming hole....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
ROFL Sis I see we were more alike even as kids than we realized! We did a lot of those very same things! The ones you didn't mention that I look back on and wonder how we lived through it would be some of the stuff we did on our three wheelers and with the horses. Susie's three wheeler did not have brakes and mine did so I used to swerve in front of her in the mud and slam on my brakes so that she would end up getting flipped over on her side in the mudhole and we would go full throttle and duck under the electric fence too....found out how stupid that was when a kid from school was following me and I thought he had gone to the house....he didn't duck....he laid on the ground thrashing around and had marks on his neck for two months...wonder it did not behead him....he told everyone I tried to kill him...he said he saw me duck but didn't know why so he didn't duck. ::)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The memories this posting is inspiring....we really musta been crazy as kids. No wonder we all still like playin in dirt.

I remember...playing with matches and setting the house on fire. (got paddled for an hour I think between my grandpap and my mom...they took turns)

Set the local cemetary on fire...didnt get caught....

stealing all the car keys in the neighborhood...(different times back then) and having to go door to door with my mom to let them figure out who's was who's.

Is there anyone that didn't stick fingers in a light socket or outlet?

Riding my bike in a storm and getting hit by a car.....2 weeks in the hospital. (I did have clean undies on)

Climbing a tree and getting stuck...had fire dept come get me down.

Playing darts with my best friend and sticking him in the leg with one.

On and on......lol

Al

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Making a tent out of sheets and blankets over the table...and having adventures for hours without leaving the house....reading scary books with the flashlight under the covers.....not sleeping with your hand hanging off the edge of bed because the bogeyman under your bed might touch you......singing "Jesus Loves me " as loud as you could when you had to take the trash out at night (who would attack a christian little girl? LOL).....stealing pumpkins off the neighbors porch,carving them and then putting them back....TP'ing the teachers house....ricocheting BB's (ouch).....jumping off the cliffs into the river without thinking how deep it was.....floating down the river on a homemade raft....sliding off the barn roof onto a pile of hay....pulling leeches off yourself......hooking a rope to the back of your snowmobile and pulling your sister so fast you couldn't hear her screaming....
Taking the horses and camping with your friends when you were twelve,but having dad come and check on you a hundred times....
Running away ,because you had it so hard,only to pack your Barbie Dolls and a PB and J sandwich and staying within sight of the house to see if anyone was going to miss you....Going back home when sandwich was gone and you were bored.....
Laying in the field watching the jets fly over and figuring out cloud shapes.....same field at night,watching stars......

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
yep lol and sleepin in the hay thinking you could count the stars then lookin up and NOT! hoppin on loose horses in the pasture that never had someone ride them including the stud.....uhhhh NOT a G rated ride! rofl

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Ahh blowing cans sky high love doing that, or getting bebe guns and shooting them in the air and trying to catch them. :tard:
Stole a gameboy and kept it for a month then gave it back. :P
thowing bottles at a rock with my cousin. ;D
going mucking in the kobota. :wink:
Hit my head on a tree had to go get stitches. >:(
Fell off a horse and broke my arm. :D
going places with out anything if i had a blood sugar low. ::)
Allmost killed my girl cousin with a plastic swimming pool. :D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
raising kids.....
raising other people's kids.....
raising grandkids.....
kids...story of my life! Gotta love 'em!! ;D ;D ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep, fun to remember our own but it always takes a backdoor to raising our kids and thinking,
"Should they be playing in the swamp?"
"What about all those electrical appliances?"
"Should I let him/her cross the street alone?"

To my horror, the little one took a love to sucking on the electrical outlets around the house as soon as she could reach up to them, before being able to stand on her own. I hated myself for doing it but I would wait until she got up to one, then sneak up behind her and smack the back of her head, driving her face into the wall plate. Stopped the behavior in one day by doing that three times.

Oh yeah she cried too, learning to associate those things with pain.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
< sigh >

All old men have their unspoken regrets, and now I have to add to mine the fact that somehow I never got around to sitting on an exploding tire.

Drat.

(Then again, I wonder if even at this late date... ::) )

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
PBK said:
< sigh >

All old men have their unspoken regrets, and now I have to add to mine the fact that somehow I never got around to sitting on an exploding tire.

Drat.

It was, as I remember, quite a rush, mannnnn. You could get a good 5 to 6 feet off the ground but you were being knocked unconcious by that time so had to rely on observers notes from there.
And, wish I'd done it one more time...
Darn radials and all that metal.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Lowbatts said:
PBK said:
< sigh >

Drat.

It was, as I remember, quite a rush, mannnnn. You could get a good 5 to 6 feet off the ground but you were being knocked unconcious by that time so had to rely on observers notes from there.
And, wish I'd done it one more time...
Darn radials and all that metal.
I'll bet it was a lot more fun making you than it was raising you ;D ;D That's how my Daddy has 'splained it to me , anyway......... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions