worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I loved things that went BOOM,my Brother got a bag of M-80's,so...I stole a bunch went down to the sand pit with 7 of my so called friends,started lighting them with a sparkler and one of them

looked like it fizzled out,I looked at it in my hand and it went...BOOM,needless to say they all said "Chris you need to go home" as my fingertips were hanging off bleeding profusely and my right

eye brow was hanging down.I ended up in the hospital for 6 days,what really ticked me off was
it happened day after summer vacation started and I couldn't go swimming. Not ONE of them would walk home with me.
Heh...some friends.:laughing7:

BB gun fights were another thing we were thrilled about,my Brother was behind a storm door so I couldn't shoot,well,He held his rifle out the door and shot..I watched that BB coming..hit me right between my eyes.

Years after I understood why my Grandma called me "Pecks Bad Boy"

I look back on my childhood,kids today doing things I did would be in prison or shot dead by the P.D.

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Hammering a metal BB to make a little disk and then grabbing it and burning my hand because it was still hot. Wait, I did that last year!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skipped school, stole cars along with other items from various sources, smoked, played with illegal fireworks, killed birds and busted windows with bb guns, broke windows with rocks, broke into a sporting goods store, started a fire in a lumber yard, threw snowballs at passing cars, lit cherry bombs and m80's in the theater restrooms, pushed over mail boxes while hitchhiking in the country, busted up a bunch of watermelons that were in a boxcar at the rail yard along the Hudson River, constantly snuck onto the subway without paying, stole food from the store and kept the money I was supposed to pay for it with, threw Boston Baked Bean candy at random people at the movies and all the other things normal boys do while growing up.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hammering a metal BB to make a little disk and then grabbing it and burning my hand because it was still hot. Wait, I did that last year!!

Take your hammer,lay a regular ordinary match on a smooth hard surface,give the match head a whack with your hammer:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman Candle duels..

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to go to the gas stations that would give away free matches. We would gather all we could and then cut the match heads off and pack them into various metel "rockets". Empty co2 cartridges worked well as did old tv antenna arms. After packing with matches you then lit them and they's take off like a rocket. We did have one failure and a co2 cartridge literally blew up, almost in my brother's face. Pieces of metal flew across the street hitting a house and it sounded like a shotgun going off. We ran for the hills! :)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jan 2nd 1975, 1 AM (15 1/2 years old) took my Dads new car for a joy ride. Totaled it, by loosing control at about 110 mph. Slid into a corner post on a farmers field and the car ricocheted sideways across a frozen plowed field. Drivers side damage, all but the passenger side glass windows gone or severely damaged, and a believe frame damage. I got out as fast as possible and ran a distance thinking the car would explode like you saw on every TV movie or show. That never happened. I only suffered a bruised inner thigh from the steering wheel.. Guess it wasn't my time to go. Picked a bad road to haul @ss on. It was about 5 miles from home. That was one long cold journey home, walking, jogging, knowing that you really messed up. Didn't get my drivers license until I was at Ft. Campbell 3 years later.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is a 'hoot'! I've laughed 'til my sides are aching. I've done a lot of the mentioned things. As for the M-80s, I always considered cherry bombs more powerful. In 10th grade, one class was two floors above the school office. We used to try to drop firecrackers and cherry bombs out the window, when the teacher wasn't in the room, and make them explode at the office windows level. One guy held one a little too long. Blew up in his hand. Lucky for him it wasn't a cherry bomb! A friend and I were laying .22 bullets on the ground and shooting them with bb guns. After setting off several, one of them that I shot, sent the hull/case back and hit me in the forehead, rim first. I didn't feel it! George looked at me, said I was bleeding from my forehead, and ran like the devil was chasing him. Scared me! I felt blood running down my nose and dripping. I took my handkerchief from my pocket and wiped my forehead. The handkerchief was soaked with blood! I ran home, thinking I might bleed to death before I could get there, or that my brain was punctured with the bullet. Mom and Dad were still at work. I ran into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I only had a small cut, T-shaped, about 1/4 inch, by 1/2 inch. Just a 'groove' in my forehead. I did a lot of stupid things, but now at 72, I still am amazed that I'm alive.
One of the things that was fun/scary, was 'booger' hunting. Mom and Dad got home from work about an hour after I got home from school. A neighbor friend and I would get a butcher knife each from the kitchen and go hunting for boogers down around the barn. One day Dad 'got it' what we were doing. He sneaked up behind us, took a 6' long 1" X 4" piece of lumber and whacked it flat against the metal barn wall; about 6 feet behind us. Mike never looked back. He was at his house, almost a block away, in about 2 seconds. I started running too, but looked back and saw Dad leaning against the barn laughing so hard he could hardly stand up. Also once while in the house, booger hunting, I had one of those little wind-up motor boats in my back pocket. I was leaning against the door and the thing started up, the prop hitting the door. Mike, again, was Gone!!

Last edited:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70's my older brother asked me if I new any one that sold firecrackers , I was only 13 , my bro was 17 . I asked around . One of my friend's older brother had a bunch . $10.00 a brick - My bro gave me the money - I drove my bike to complete the deal . Our parents were at work - we spent several hours emptying them out - he got a piece of 3/4'' copper pipe about 8 '' long - he drilled a hole in the center for the fuse - he bend over one end with dads vise , we filled it with the pile of powder - he bent over the other end .
Dad had a 4' x 4' x 4' stack of bricks in the back yard , my brother pulled out several bricks from the bottom of the stack & inserted the Device . When that baby blew , it made a big mushroom cloud , bricks flying every ware - my dad is just pulling into the driveway as the smoke was still there .
I pleaded ignorance - for I was under the influence of my older brother . He was grounded for a month - I was free .

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 1950s, probably mid '50s, an older boy took a piece of pipe about 6 inches long and attached it to a piece of 2" X 4" about 5 inches long. The pipe was threaded on one end. He drilled a hole in a pipe cap for the fuse to go through. I watched him unscrew the cap, push the fuse of a cherry bomb through the hole, and then screw the cap onto the pipe. He then took a ball bearing about the size of an ordinary marble. He put it into the mouth of the pipe. He then lit the fuse and we watched until it went 'bang'. He had it pointed at the metal side of their garage. It made a hole through the wall and put a small dent in the rear door of the car that was inside.
A friend and I put a cherry bomb under a clay flower pot. It was about 8 inches in diameter. He lit the fuse and we stood inside the house and watched through the screen door. Safely inside? Hardly! Several small pieces came through the screen. No, we weren't hurt, but he was when his dad got home and found out what had happened.
My cousin and I were jumping off a small shed in his backyard onto an old mattress. A few weeks later, he jumped out of a two story window with a sheet for a 'parachute'. Broke his arm and collar bone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread