Did Politics and Religion get turned off again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tubecity said:
I too agree with those who have the common sense to understand that we all have opinions & at times will disagree.
That is called debate and even high schools have debate teams. I do not believe any differences need to result in
attacks on the posters. IMO, the ones who do attack or the ones that go to these 'rubber room 'sites & then become
offended because others don't have the same views & then complain, display a lack of maturity, lack of facts or the
ability to present them or care nothing of others beliefs or opinions. You don't buy magazines on subjects you have
no interest in & then complain. Do you ? And if it wasn't solely for the purpose of causing problems or looking for
something to whine about, why visit these areas in the first place ?

Yes, but the point is not "why visit these areas if you're going to complain about them?"--the point is that something evidently went down in the Rubber room which cast a Negative light on this forum and it's members, so the moderators deleted the room.

I don't know what happened, nor do I care to know. I had the threads blocked from the beginning.

But the point is that the folks posting in those threads could not have a Civil discussion. The fault for the room's deletion does NOT rest on someone complaining, I feel pretty certain.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

JamesE

Not quite sure of BB'S point, you don't care, you have it blocked. (Not to mean you're not entitled to an opinion, people vote that way all the time)
Not a "personal" attack, just fun, I'm having a hard time understanding your point. I certainly agree that a few people go way off on rants and personal affronts, not nearly as much here as other sites. If there be little nooks and crannies where a topic is less than MD'ing or TH'ing move it to Everthing Else, what's the problem? If a reply is civil, what's the problem?
There is so much in the forums that is not related, half or the site and archive would have to be deleted.
If you followed, "Left on my Front Door!" in the CA forum, there were no personal attacks, just a couple of non-charter (?) members who hadn't contributed to the topic wanting it to end because they couldn't understand or agree with the conservative views (mine and others) being expressed.
This topic never degraded into anything personal, just a civil back and forth by members. But truly the subject had nothing to do THing or MDing.
YET it was deleted without explanation. Jeff agreed to move it here but then didn't, not sure why. I suggested he move it here and he said, "Yep, Yep", I thought that was agreement, maybe it wasn't.
Many people have their impenetrable value system in place, like armour, anything different threatens it, change threatens it, new information (education) threatens it. The result is personal and societal stagnation.
James Ervin (if I ever publish my books) otherwise, jim
Sorry to have said all this, I have probably caused this topic to be deleted too.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look under personal rants. not here.

i'm sure I agreed to rants

A

Atticus Finch

It is a good thing both threads have been deleted. Many people simply don't have the brains to debate at any level. They are incapable of empathy. TN is a much better place without having these numbskulls a modality to flatulate.

Cappy Z.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Cappy Z. said:
It is a good thing both threads have been deleted. Many people simply don't have the brains to debate at any level. They are incapable of empathy. TN is a much better place without having these numbskulls a modality to flatulate.

Cappy Z.

Empathy has no place in the discussion of Politics, Or any other debate.
There are those that let feelings steer thier lives over good reasoning, These are generaly the folks that make alot of mistakes in life.
Personaly I dont think you even have a dog in this hunt Cappy, Since you were blocked by the moderators from going into politics and then snuck back in under the name of Atticus finch

A

Atticus Finch

TEXAN Connection said:
Cappy Z. said:

Cappy Z.

There are those that let feelings steer their lives over good reasoning, These are generally the folks that make alot of mistakes in life.
Personaly I dont think you even have a dog in this hunt Cappy, Since you were blocked by the moderators from going into politics and then snuck back in under the name of Atticus finch

lol. I was NEVER blocked. I was given a warning not to point out others mental weaknesses. There are many other Charter Members who use more than one name also.

Empathy as defined by Webster " The capacity to understand others feelings and or IDEAS.

Now I wish you well in hunting for treasure.

Cap Z

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
TEXAN Connection said:
Cappy Z. said:

Cappy Z.

There are those that let feelings steer their lives over good reasoning, These are generally the folks that make alot of mistakes in life.

lol. I was NEVER blocked. I was given a warning not to point out others mental weaknesses. There are many other Charter Members who use more than one name also.

Empathy as defined by Webster " The capacity to understand others feelings and or IDEAS.

Now I wish you well in hunting for treasure.

Cap Z

PEOPLE COME ON HERE UNDER MORE THAN ONE NAME?
WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offered the perfect solution several weeks ago but no one took me up on it. There are only about a dozen people on the forum who are name callers and can't discuss just about any subject without getting nasty and being offensive. Let's sort them out and send them all on a treasuere hunt like say....on a civil war battle ground. Make it a three day affair at least. When they all come together for one common cause, drink and sup together, then I'll bet any amount they all leave friends. Well, that is if they don't killl each other! :wink: I'd throw in ten bucks and if everyone would it would be all expense paid.. I'd do that for the forum if nothing else. Monty

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I offered the perfect solution several weeks ago but no one took me up on it. There are only about a dozen people on the forum who are name callers and can't discuss just about any subject without getting nasty and being offensive. Let's sort them out and send them all on a treasuere hunt like say....on a civil war battle ground. Make it a three day affair at least. When they all come together for one common cause, drink and sup together, then I'll bet any amount they all leave friends. Well, that is if they don't killl each other! :wink: I'd throw in ten bucks and if everyone would it would be all expense paid.. I'd do that for the forum if nothing else. Monty

Three days without the negativity?
I'll throw in twenty!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Ok. Ok! I'll be negative just to get to go! :wink:

Me too, me too!!!! Ya buncha low life jerks with a stale sense of humor... and very bad B.O.!!!!!
Ok, this just isn't working for me. Can we *please* just get another hunt together..... :'(

Bran <><

K

Kentucky Kache

Monty said:

Please make it Perryville Battlefield. I won't have to drive far.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JamesE said:
  Not quite sure of BB'S point, you don't care, you have it blocked. (Not to mean you're not entitled to an opinion, people vote that way all the time)
   Not a "personal" attack, just fun, I'm having a hard time understanding your point. I certainly agree that a few people go way off on rants and personal affronts, not nearly as much here as other sites. If there be little nooks and crannies where a topic is less than MD'ing or TH'ing move it to Everthing Else, what's the problem? If a reply is civil, what's the problem? 

Well said, but please remember that we ALL invest in this site.  For most of us, it is simply our time (Goodness!  When I look at the amount of Time I have spent on this forum, I feel guilty!)  For others, it is money through Charter membership, Dealer status, Sponsorhip, etc.  Now I realize that my $20 charter membership is only a drop in the bucket, and what I think is not as important as those who Sponsor this forum, but we all have "ownership" over what we write here, as well as how those posts make our metal detecting community appear to outside groups or individuals.  In short, we're Not a bunch of quarreling, vindictive fools, and I for one wouldn't like anyone to think that of us.  You see, to us these threads may simply show our worst sides as human beings--but to others, they show us as detectorists and THers.  It was a Wise choice to remove the P & R threads from the Guest-viewable part of the forum for this very reason.  And yes, I do know what types of "conversations" went on in those threads.  I didn't always have them blocked.   :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
IMHO, it is either one of two things ; that a small number are doing a lot of complaining because they can't accept
so many others disagree with their political agenda & wish to silent them. OR , there is some pressure from sponsors
on the views of those on the right & don't like the idea that these opinions can be passed so easily on this site. Either
way, it is a form of the 'Fairness Doctrine'. I don't believe it is the moderators alone, that are offended by other's views.
What the complainers need to understand is that a debate is not one sided. A lively, CIVIL debate is like a boxing match,
you must remain cool-headed as anger diminishes the ability to think, when you have your opponent on the ropes-you
keep him there & your opponent is not there to simply allow you to impose your will on him. And when it's over, shake
hands & walk away. If you lack the wits for it or if you are too thin-skinned, perhaps a change of activities should be in
order. After all, if you sunburn easily, yet you still go sit out at the beach for 12 hours on a 100 degree day, why complain
to the 'Lifeguards' (moderators) that your fair skin has become irritated ? Easier to just stay off the beach when it's hot out.
:tongue3:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those posters who have nothing constructive to add and who's only contribution is to constantly belittle and berate the people on here who are seriously trying to help others, remind me of the adolescents (and some adults) who think they look so cool with their pants down around their knees and their three pairs of underwear hanging out, walking around like something is stuck you know where.

They obviously don't know how unattractive they really look to the rest of the civilized world.

It's apparent that those kinds of posts are from those who only want and need the attention that they didn't get at home. I just feel sorry for them and hope one day they get the love they so desperately need.

A

Atticus Finch

I'm planning a trip to the Brittish Virgin Islands for a long weekend...

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel off the beaten path where I can swing my md and carry around my bottle of Absolut?

JamesE

jeff of pa said:

Re: Hangin' on my front door
I respectfully disagree.
I don't believe my or anybodies comment disolved into "rant". I sure do agree it went off topic from an observation and sharing of something local to commentary and opinion that wasn't TH or MD related. I do thank you for not deleting it outright.
In my humble opinion, a person shouldn't post what they wouldn't say directly to a friend in person.
Tact and diplomacy are achieveable through listening, discussion, and practice.
Given the right subject on the wrong day, any human can get their (anger) buttons pushed. If a person feels that their buttons get pushed every day or every hour, the problem is internal expectations and flawed logic, and it's not the worlds' job to adjust to fix or fit ones' attitude.
jim

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Cappy Z. said:
I'm planning a trip to the Brittish Virgin Islands for a long weekend...

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel off the beaten path where I can swing my md and carry around my bottle of Absolut?

WOOHOOO!!! "Absolut". I'm sure we could hunt Happily together Cappy (probaly shouldent disscuss politics though), as far as your 2 names, Im with Kelly on that. So why do you feel you need 2 ID's?

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Atticus Finch is a fictional character in Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus is a lawyer and resident of Maycomb County, Alabama, and the father of Jeremy Atticus "Jem" Finch and Jean Louise "Scout" Finch. Atticus is one of the central characters in the novel."

Maybe Cappy feels a kinship to this character, although this would not address the two IDs question.

Beep

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JamesE said:
jeff of pa said:

Re: Hangin' on my front door
I respectfully disagree.
I don't believe my or anybodies comment disolved into "rant". I sure do agree it went off topic from an observation and sharing of something local to commentary and opinion that wasn't TH or MD related. I do thank you for not deleting it outright.
In my humble opinion, a person shouldn't post what they wouldn't say directly to a friend in person.
Tact and diplomacy are achieveable through listening, discussion, and practice.
Given the right subject on the wrong day, any human can get their (anger) buttons pushed. If a person feels that their buttons get pushed every day or every hour, the problem is internal expectations and flawed logic, and it's not the worlds' job to adjust to fix or fit ones' attitude.
jim

In my opinion if it's a Complaint it's a rant.
This is the reason I put it there.

I didn't read the thread (As I said I am Mainly here
for the Treasure Hunting Discussions)
But Honestly I would have
Considered it a Complaint if it were on my door.

I also Agree, That If you wouldn't say it
to your wife , Girlfriend, Kids or Best friend,
it shouldn't be said here.

And if you would say these things to them,
Maybe you should become a Loaner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread