Did Politics and Religion get turned off again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it gets opened back up.
It's the mean-natured comments that makes this site less than what it should be... and in that case, I hope he starts removing the people instead of the rooms.

Bran <><

S

seger98

I had both of them on my ignore list, so I guess that tells ya where I stand on them, anyway I looked in my ignore preferences & they are no longer there!

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
godisnum1 said:
I hope it gets opened back up.
It's the mean-natured comments that makes this site less than what it should be... and in that case, I hope he starts removing the people instead of the rooms.

Bran <><

If I recall correctly, the last time they were removed those topics tended to spill out into the other forums. I agree with your opinion godisnum1...it can get a bit hot in there, sometimes unnecessarily so. My guess is that the sponsors don't like it.

Beep

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
If I recall correctly, the last time they were removed those topics tended to spill out into the other forums. I agree with your opinion godisnum1...it can get a bit hot in there, sometimes unnecessarily so. My guess is that the sponsors don't like it.

Beep

You're right, they did. And I'm sure they will again...
But this time, I think it has nothing to do with sponsors as much as it did the comments coming from some of the people.
I don't know if you saw it (I did), but Marc posted up a warning either this morning or yesterday morning, telling people to not say anything mean towards (attacking) others... and if they didn't listen to him, he would start deleting the profiles of the people who were to blame. Someone probably wasn't listening to what Marc had to say.

Like I said, I hope it returns because I enjoy conversing and discussing such matters with others. I don't mind that there are other views as far as religion goes... but you have to admit, everyone believes in something. As far as religion, you either believe it (God) exists, or you believe it (God) doesn't exist. It's nice to have a place to talk about it. The problem comes when some people can't just "talk" :-\

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I guess I'm wrong.

Bran <><

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
If I recall correctly, the last time they were removed those topics tended to spill out into the other forums.

Beep

Won't happen this Time.

as I Catch them I Will delete them.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can still speak my mind on here..... It stinks!!! I know some times it got heated and punches got traded back and forth but, like the old saying goes.... If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the rubber room!!! A couple of people I liked got the boot and I have no way to contact them. Ok, I've said my peace.

DANGLANGLEY

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I started ignoring politics and religion a week ago...

Since then I've been happier, I make more money, my food tastes better, and my hair started growing back!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to see and hear some excellent examples of how strongly some folks reject the idea of intelligent design, much less religion, you should watch Ben Stein's documentary, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. It really amazes me how some people can't discuss religion in a debate without losing their cool. When someone goes ballistic and starts name-calling all chances of a good exchange of ideas goes to h---; literally.

This is actually kinda funny. Marc put the Rubber Room back under, Members Only area because some of "the great unwashed" in the free area were posting some scientific evidences supporting Intelligent Design, and was enraging some trouble makers. Looks like the trouble makers may have been paying members and just kept on keeping on while us "free" loaders went on about our business. ;D Vellley Intalesting. oooops. :tard:

Likely Guy

Why does religion or politics matter in this forum, as far as treasure is concerned?

Treasure is the one non-partisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely Guy said:
Why does religion or politics matter in this forum, as far as treasure is concerned?

Treasure is the one non-partisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.

There was no required participation. It was all voluntary; same as the dozen or more other topic headings that have nothing to do with THing. Different sections for discussions just like a group of folks sitting around a campfire talking about anything and everything that pops up. It's all good.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Glad to see this thread, was fixin to ask the same question...I hope it comes back tho. I realize that some people don't agree with some of my opinions and vice versa, but like we say in AA, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one...
The political forum was a great read, the links that were posted helped add a different dimension to the mainstream media hype that we saw on the television news, not just the big three but also Fox and the other conservatives...JMO

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Likely Guy said:

Treasure is the one nonpartisan thing that we all share. The quest, mystery, the need for more research, the sharing is what it's about. Ban religion and politics and I think this community would be happier and better off because of it.

If you're a metal detectorist then maybe the religious topics wouldn't matter you, but, politics might as we see our freedoms and liberties eroding... town parks closing to detectorists and even beaches.

If you're following leads whilst Treasure Hunting for the "big one" then religious topics may be of huge interest because most large treasures are in some way connected to the religious bands of yore. Local politics might not come close to playing a part in your adventuring, but ask the shipwreck folks about their rights being eroded... or the gold mine operators anywhere that face HUGE political issues all he time.

Mostly though it is/was a great place to let off steam and get steamed... not for everyone, but great for others! It too often turned ugly and mostly ended up being just a place to either get preachy, get nonpartisan and share YOUR ideas louder than the other guy. 

Point is that the religious and politics areas were called the "Rubber Rooms" for a reason and both was a fantastic place if you could keep your head above water... always a place where emotions run very high.

You cannot separate religion or politics from the hobby IMO, it might only be on a local scale but we should all be paying attention to both as hobbyist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread