Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pit Bulls

UPDATE!!!

By mid afternoon yesterday he was ready to play. Picked up a ball an brought it to me and of course I obliged him. Other than a bad hair cut and the puncture wounds he is fine. I wonder how he will react when I get him out on the leash in a few minutes.

As far as I know the PB's up to date with shots. The owner's daughter provided papers from a vet and the responding officer checked them as well as the tags. I am healing nicely.

The local dog enforcement officer visited yesterday and took a statement. I asked and he told me that this was the second attack on another dog by this PB. As far as the law is concerned the most I might be able to get done is ask the local district justice to declare the dog dangerous. All that means is if they take the dog in public it must be under the control of an adult and have a muzzle on. If it is outside at the owner's house it must be in a kennel.

As far as getting the dog put down, it would be up to the owner. As many have said, the owner needs to be responsible. Knowing that she has two children in the house (one 5 and the other a toddler) with a dog that she knows was trained to fight, I highly doubt she would even consider it.

Also, I had mentioned not having my Leatherman with me on Thursday night. When I told the dog officer that I would have at minimum stabbed the dog he informed me that I have the right to protect myself, family and dog from any other animal. It is on my belt now. And yes, I can take it out of the pouch and open the blade to a locked position in about 1.5 seconds. Hopefully I will never have to use it for protection.

I'll be back in an hour or so if all goes well.

habs

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back from our walk.

When I got his leash out he did his normal sit with a vigorously wagging tail. Had a great hour long walk. No problems with barking dogs and he wanted to greet everyone. Only issue was a banner flapping in the wind.

I guess the only thing left is getting the owner to pay the vet bill, ensure she is cited for the PB not being under control and trying to get the dog legally labled as dangerous. Once all that happens I'll update again.

Thanks to all for the concern and replies. I will never again be out with my dog without some type of protection. Just like the Boy Scouts, ya gotta be prepared :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

habs

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I remember the now called pit bulls when I was younger & they seemed to be friendly. Today they are a status symbol for
those in the inner cities who are intent on making them mean. Plus the puppy mills are pumping out dogs of questionable
bloodlines (if any) & breeding any dogs including brothers & sisters to make money off of the pups. There can be a huge
difference in the dogs temperment when compared to a properly bred dog. And they do consider them weapons. The police
in this area usually just shoot them if they think they may be a problem. Glad you're all OK.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I always carry a blade, leagal lenght on my belt. Once gutted a big boxer that was attached to my knee, then went and confessed to the cops the dog warden my lawyer. No one said Boo about it,I was the dogs 4th and last victim.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first posted this topic my wife was still at the vet. She left before I got back because it took some time for the local PD to show up. Anyhow, I incorrectly stated that the PB locked onto my dog's ear. I was mainly the area behind the ear on the neck. I wonder if him being a puppy with loose skin helped to avoid more damage. When I stuck my fingers back behind the PB's back teeth there was no room to try to get it to release. Who knows, I'm just real happy that he is back having fun being a puppy who thinks he is a lap dog.

habs

I dig it

Jan 16, 2009
Vancouver,Washington
Detector(s) used
fisher F2 , Minelabs Quattro mp, Whites 6000
I have heard this time and time again about this kind of behavior, I volunteer at out local shelter and they do not put pit bulls up for adopting for any reason if owner does not come to get it with in a weeks time it is put down no if's and's on buts. I own very calm breed dogs predictable inteligent dogs I know there are exceptions to this w/pit bulls more common not .
jusy my 2 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions