eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After dinner tonight I asked my wife if she would like to go for a walk with our five month old black lab. After checking with our 14 year old daughter she said sure. The 4 of us (dog on a leash and under our control) proceeded towards the local ice cream joint with visions of frozen treats and a milkbone for the little one. Half way there a white pit bull comes racing at us and locks onto my dog's ear. Keep in mind that we are in a residential area. I tried to break the hold by putting my finger in the back of the jaw. No such luck. I remembered an article that suggested grabbing a back hind leg and twisting it towards the dog's body and lifting at the same time. It worked!! As I held the dog with it's leg in the air I told my wife to go home and call the vet. The people that were walking the PB were at that point on scene. I should add that a 14 year old was letting a 5 year old control the dog at the time of the attack. The 14 yr old also told me, once I gained control of the Pit Bull ,that she had been raised to fight and tried to blame the 5 yr old for letting the dog go. With the Pit under my control , with bloody hands, we made our way to the owners house while my wife took our dog to the vet. Once at the owners house I called the police. When they arrived i explained what happened, they gave me the owners info and told me that they would have to pay for the vet bill. Once I got home I cleaned up and discovered that I had also been bitten during the attack.

The Pit Bull was so calm and laid back after the attack. I have owned an American Pit Bull Terrier and had no issues with him. All the kids in the neighborhood loved him. He loved them right back. This was a totally unprovoked attack.

I told my daughter that if I had my leatherman, I would have stabbed the dog. She was not real happy about that. She loves animals and would hate to see any of God's creatures harmed. I explained that the PB attacked our puppy and would have killed him had it not been for my stepping in.

My dog was simply walking. The PB did not make a sound before attacking.

As a responsible dog owner, the PB needs to be put down. If my 14 yr old was a 4 yr old who knows what could have happened.

Please be careful,

habs

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: Pit Bulls

Sorry your family had to go through such an ordeal. Hope the PB`S shots are up to date
as well, if there is any question, please begin treatments. :coffee2:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eathabs, it's a universal problem >:(
Undisciplined Dog Owner = a wild animal on the street.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

There should be a criminal charge for such irresponsible owners. Same thing for dog owners who leave their animals in hot cars, or chained up outside during winter. >:( I've personally had to call A.S.P.C.A. numerous times for dogs running loose or seeing dogs left chained in someones back yard with no shade and no water etc...

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III

2 children in my town (San Antonio) have been killed by Pit Bulls in just the last week. My wife and I adopted one last year (we love dogs). The dog went after one of our youngest sons friends when they were playing in the back yard. We had to put him down. I had to shoot one when detecting several years ago because it came after me in a remote area. I love dogs, but don't have a good history with pit bulls.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a quick update.

My little lab has a really bad hair cut around his neck. He is still rather sore and whiny but he did get some sleep last night. He got his morning dose of medicine and is now back down.

Thanks BS, we do think the shots are up to date. The officer checked both the rabies vaccine and licence tags.

Triki, you are correct. The same can be said for some parents and their kids.

MD Dog, I will probably pursue getting the dog put down. As far as any type of charges for the owner, I think it may be just a fine. I may have to make a visit to the Drs office as my left index finger is now swelled and rather tender. Kind of makes it tough to type, not that I could prior to the attack ;D ;D ;D

Rich, that just flat out sucks!!

When my grand parents were still alive they lived in San Antonio. They used to fly us down for the summer. I love it down there. I remember a dog that used to patrol two fairways of the Turtle Creek Country club. GPs property line was the out of bounds line for one of the holes. If that dog saw a stray shot before we did he scored the ball. If we saw it we would grab it and do one of two things; take and throw it back on the course or run inside with it. That was some great fun. That dog was quick though! I learned two things down there, no, make it three.
1. You have to be faster than the dog if you wanted free balls.
2. There are alot of bad golfers in San Antonio.
3. Fire ants ain't much fun.

Right now I am still pretty hot. Lack of sleep, not enough java and replaying what happened have me sitting in the front seat on the roller coaster of emotions. Guess I just have to chill and be thankful that my puppy is still alive.

I'll keep you posted,

habs

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hope your owie gets better too! Dog bites are a pain. I did prove to myself the fact that a dog won't close his mouth while choking when I forced my hand down the throat of an attacking great pyr a long time ago. This dog was every bit the Cujo character. Used my other hand to grab the back of his neck to hold him in place while his insane owner lady tried beating me for hurting her dog.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

I am in favor of spaying and neutering 100% of Pitbull and Pitbull mixed dogs. Evil soulless minions. I hate them and wouldn't shed tear one if the entire breed went extinct.

Personally i would have shot the dog without a second thought.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GL said:
I am in favor of spaying and neutering 100% of Pitbull and Pitbull mixed dogs. Evil soulless minions. I hate them and wouldn't shed tear one if the entire breed went extinct.

Personally i would have shot the dog without a second thought.

Aww now...don't hold back GL...how do you really feel ;D

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

LOL I know right!
I just don't see the love affair with such unattractive, notoriously dangerous and unpredictable dogs. They hold zero attraction for me. I prefer the Hound category.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GL said:
LOL I know right!
I just don't see the love affair with such unattractive, notoriously dangerous and unpredictable dogs. They hold zero attraction for me. I prefer the Hound category.

I love animals but because of being attacked by a pit bull I don't trust them at all.
Even though my friend has one that is as sweet as they come.

I was raised around Fox hounds and beagles you cant go wrong there.
Retrievers and Terriers are good too.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III

I love dogs, there is no mistake about that. But I have a had pit bull stalk me when I was detecting in a remote location. It began growling at me when I noticed it, and charged me after I fired a 45 auto into the ground in front of it. As much as I love dogs, pit bulls are just too much.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Good family friend got into a heated argument with another fella. Turned around and walked away, came over to my wife still heated just to say he thought he should leave before he hit the other guy. My beagle defended his mommy and left two nice punctures on friends knee cap. We all discussed the ramifications, we were in our own yard he'd admittedly approached my wife while still angry, obviously whip did what his instincts told him to do. But My dog never roams and is never taken off property off a leash.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MD Dog said:

Good family friend got into a heated argument with another fella. Turned around and walked away, came over to my wife still heated just to say he thought he should leave before he hit the other guy. My beagle defended his mommy and left two nice punctures on friends knee cap. We all discussed the ramifications, we were in our own yard he'd admittedly approached my wife while still angry, obviously whip did what his instincts told him to do. But My dog never roams and is never taken off property off a leash.

I had a Chihuahua once and she would run off any stray dogs that came into our yard no matter how big they were.........vicious little animal :D
Back then dogs ran loose a lot. Hardly ever see a stray around here nowadays.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

Have you ever noticed how many dungheaded punks have one or more on leashes thinking they've discovered the optimal unconcealed weapon.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

My husky hates pitts too, the neighbors is almost always penned in the yard . got out one day and saw lady on a leash and charged her full speed. Lady whipped her handily, threw her up in the air like a possom and the pit ran for home kyi ing.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Lady was dumped in our neighborhood. She is beautiful black with white sox. had heartworm is why she was dumped. 500 dollars and six momths she is as goood as new. But if you drop the leash or she figures out how to slip away, She is gone !!!!! for at least an hour. if I chase she hides and then peeks around a tree or building to see how close I am. hehehe Bob

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There isn't any bad dogs...just bad dog owners.
You never heard of pitbull attacks til someone figured out what powerful dogs they were and how dangerous they could make them.

Doberman's could be a vicious dog and were for some years. They were the mean dog of choice for a while..and wiener dogs...mean little buggards, trained to go into tunnels for badgers.

People dont seem to understand working dogs and their needs. Wonder why their boarder collie insists on chasing cars and their jack russles are spastic....

I had a mutt that would shred a cat if it wasnt controlled....and I did control it.

People need to research dog breeds and get what suits the dog...not them. You just can't keep something like a pitbull somewhere that it cant work off some of it's energy, same with many other breeds.

I'm no PETA member or animal rights activist of any kind. I've worked with the AKC, trained several dogs and learned to respect the breed for what they are.....hunters, workers, retrievers, hearders, etc.

I'd have no qualms putting down a dog that was trained to fight and let run loose to hurt someone....but I think it's ultimately the owner that should shoulder the responsibility.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread