K

Kentucky Kache

Attachments

• 090317_cooper_comic.gif
    090317_cooper_comic.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 273
B

BIG61AL

From what I have heard and read - he jumped with no goggles and wearing dress shoes. Even a expert jumper may have serious problems with that jump let alone knowing where to jump if you had a stash of supplies on the ground. I am guessing he got injured on landing like breaking his legs and even being killed outright. Either way it very unlikely that his body would be found now. You would literally have to stumble on his skull to find him. i don't think a body is going to last long. how long do you think bones would last in the open county. Ten years? Twenty? That dude is long gone. He ain't nothing but an urban home grown terrorist anyway. He got what he deserved.

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
BIG61AL said:
From what I have heard and read - he jumped with no goggles and wearing dress shoes. Even a expert jumper may have serious problems with that jump let alone knowing where to jump if you had a stash of supplies on the ground. I am guessing he got injured on landing like breaking his legs and even being killed outright. Either way it very unlikely that his body would be found now. You would literally have to stumble on his skull to find him. i don't think a body is going to last long. how long do you think bones would last in the open county. Ten years? Twenty? That dude is long gone. He ain't nothing but an urban home grown terrorist anyway. He got what he deserved.
I totally agree, given that the human body dissolves in the average temperate climate to a skeleton in only 18 months, this time frame includes normal flies, bugs etc. that remove tissue,( not even counting scavengers) and that normal acids in the soil will render the bones unrecognizable in almost the same time frame, D.B. Cooper is long gone--Friends who are avid jumpers/pros said the likelihood that he even survived a night time jump into that area without protective clothing is less than 1 in 50.
Just an opinion on the possible survival but the body decomposition, bone decomposition comes from forensic information, but temperature, moisture can change the above times slightly.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I'm gonna hold on to the idea that he was cool enough to kick out the 'We Will Kill You' chutes and a couple of bundles of cash and then hide in the airplane until the Feds got done doing their thourough investigation .
They knew he had jumped and were just looking for prints and other evidence to identify him . They never crawled through every hole in that plane after it landed ; maybe with DB still on board .

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
truckinbutch said:
I'm gonna hold on to the idea that he was cool enough to kick out the 'We Will Kill You' chutes and a couple of bundles of cash and then hide in the airplane until the Feds got done doing their thourough investigation .
They knew he had jumped and were just looking for prints and other evidence to identify him . They never crawled through every hole in that plane after it landed ; maybe with DB still on board .
Now that is a very interesting concept--and the Feds would never admit it later that they missed "searching" all the cubbyholes--D.B. would have had the last laugh of a lifetime.
Thanks for sharing
Minstrel

Likely Guy

BIG61AL said: "...no goggles and wearing dress shoes. Even a expert jumper may have serious problems with that jump..."

If the canopy worked that wouldn't be an impediment. After that, landing safely is the hard part. IE: daylight, windspeed and drop zone (how hard/soft, trees, water, etc.).

P

pippinwhitepaws

texastee2007 said:
Likely Guy said:
BIG61AL said: "...no goggles and wearing dress shoes. Even a expert jumper may have serious problems with that jump..."

If the canopy worked that wouldn't be an impediment. After that, landing safely is the hard part. IE: daylight, windspeed and drop zone (how hard/soft, trees, water, etc.).

If he were Special Forces could he not have been trained to survive this? He seemed to know quite a bit about the plane...Full flaps etc..
I think he may have pulled it off.

i had a friend down in bisbee area...he was trained to do HALO from the back door of the same aircraft as db cooper.(sure a lot of spooks in the serria vista area, or should i call them alternative operations personel?)
no one knows what gear cooper had on under his suit, or in his pockets...if he was trained, it is highly probable that he survived the jump.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
In case you all missed it, it was explained in the movie, "Without A Paddle" where Burt Reynolds played him.

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
It's most unlikely he survived the drop. But in a world where stranger things have happened (RAF tail gunner who fell from very high altitude in WWII when he was cut off from his chute and jumped without it and survived), who knows. It's never safe to assume a body will not be found, as many murderers have discovered. There are about as many unidentified murder victim bodies found as there are presumed murder victims' bodies not located. The fabric of clothing and accessories has a lot to do with how easily remains might be sighted. In this case, at least the chute and harness would last quite a long time, especially in trees where the sun exposure would be limited. Look how long and intense they searched last year, only to have the crash site found by hunters. Very few remains, though, due to animals feeding. I certainly don't expect this guy to be found, but I wouldn't be amazed.

I tend to think the reality is the simplest story. He figured out a stunt to get money, largely inspired by the spate of hijacking of that time, and took a shot. It even kind of fits the Air Force cargo loader story. If you routinely wear a chute to drop cargo, you kind of assume it's because it will save you if you fall out, but you never actually do any jumps. I suspect the rest was just trusting to blind luck, and the luck wasn't enough for the jump location. Maybe he even figured that out before he jumped but thought the chance was better than dying in prison.

DNA technology is still expanding. One of the frontiers is matching to criminal members of family groups from the limited portion used in CODIS. And we're approaching the time when, if anyone really knows, they may leave the information behind when they die.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I'll stick with he hid instead of jumping . Red Aed the Fibbies that aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and laughed all the way to the bank .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread