Dealing with agressive / attacking dog ...long

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Attacks by unrestrained dogs are in the news dailey . There is a difference between aggressive dogs and attacking dogs . The difference can change drasticly by your own behavior .
Aggressive dogs are terrirorial and bark when you cross their line . Face them without establishing eye contact as you slowly back away from their perceived line . Do not turn and run . That may cause them to attack .
Other dogs may simply attack with little or no warning . Scary as heck , but they can be dealt with with a survivable outcome for you .
Sans firearm and the reaction time/ skill to use it your best defense is your hands : Offer your weak hand with arm cocked and fingers folded over the palm as a target . When the dog goes for the target you meet him more than half way with the intent of stuffing as much of your hand and arm down his throat as possible and keeping it there . Quick fix from there is a solid punch to the rib cage just behind the point of the shoulder to stop the heart .
Failing that strike directly to both eye sockets and then begin choking with your strong hand . You must keep the teeth/ jaws
controlled with the weak hand / arm until the dead jaws relax .
Adrenalin will mask the pain while it is happening but you will need medical attention when the ordeal is over . You are going to get hurt less to win than to lose .

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
texastee2007 said:
Very good advice if someone can keep their wits about them...too often though the person has a small child with them or a dog..
Tactics are the same . You just need to be more proactive when you are responsible for others .

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We recently had a neighborhood boxer that was especially large for the breed and also hated people. When he got out he terrorized the neighborhood and has bitten several people. I met him in my front yard one morning and had to jump into my car to get away. I am an early riser and one morning just at daylight I was getting ready to take my little Digsy for a walk and was out in my garage with the door open when and I heard a dog barking and very weak voice calling for help. I looked down the street about a hundred feet and saw that boxer trying to attack an elderly lady. She had nothing to defend herself and was trying to back away from him but every time she moved he would lunge at her. I looked around and grabbed a shovel and went to help her. As I approached the boxer saw me and made a run at me. I timed it just right and just as he got within range, I introduced him to the flat of the shovel right upside his head baseball bat style. After the loud BONG, and with a yelp after turning a couple of flips from the impact he ran away headed for home. The lady used my cell phone to call her husband who came and got her. Meanwhile I called the police and told them which house the boxer stayed at and they told me he had attached and badly bitten a lady a couple of blocks over from my house. The police and dog pound came and took the dog and wrote a ticket to the owner. I figured the dog would be destroyed but I see he is back. But he hasn't been out since to my knowledge. I don't know what happened to the dog owner or the lady that was attacked but I bet it cost the owner. I always carry a heavy cane with me when I go dog walking and so far I've only had to stave off one dog that was going after Digsy. Dang, I always wind up writing a story! Monty

P

pippinwhitepaws

JudyH said:
This method also works well in dealing with Rabid Skeptics.
Though not nearly as satisfying when restricted to a keyboard.
Judy

not sure where that came in...whew

i have learned the method described above is effective in stopping a dog attack...by experience...
also, as the dog is coming at you, make the motions as if you are grabbing a rock from the ground...(best if you do get a rock) the dog should be running in the other direction,...for some reason most dogs know that movement, and run away fast.

i good save monty.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my daughters baby pit bull >:( damn near killed 1 of our other dogs one day. I hit the pit bull repeatedly but he would not let go of the taco bell dog. Finally in mid air i ripped his jaws open and was about ready to body slam him when my daughter stopped me. Now that i think back i guess i was acting more vicious than the pit bull.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Dog attacks will of course vary by the breed involved. Been attacked several times, still walking and chewing gum, don't ask for much more...

Two dobies of the large variety attacked me once, they escaped their owner's van from behind a building and came at me while I was waiting for a bus. No where to run and nothing to climb, I grabbed my jacket near the zipper and raised it over my head fanning it outward to appear bigger and let loose with a grueling guttural roar as big as I could muster. They turned tail squealing and ran off from about 10 feet. Their owner later told me they were schooled dogs and did not know why they ran. Well gee, if that's an apology.

Great pyr or St Bernard like Cujo, did as Butch said, forced my hand down it's throat and grabbed it around the neck with my other hand until it became submissive. It did viciously attack a boy and did great harm to his face, also attacked a sheriff, before being dispatched. I got a broken (smashed) thumb from his back teeth but figured that was minor to what he could have done had I not throttled him down.

Two guys wanted to have fun with their rotts and sent them after me one day in the forest preserve near town. It was a fairly remote sight and as I was sort of facing them I heard them yelling something, it was "Get that white mother f@@**@@, get him" so I had a bit of head start. Ran over the rise behind me and down along the fence line as the dogs neared but we were well out of sight of their handlers. Only thing I had was my stabbing tools but a piece of fence post was laying there and I picked it up and backed as they neared. The handlers apparently called them back as they suddenly turned and left, despite us being out of sight. I hoofed it quick down the low ground there to get to the road as I did want to plant something in their a$$es if not their heads but their car left before I could get to a good spot for a bushwhack.

And they don't think we need a concealed carry in Illinois...

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I had business with a man one day and was invited to his house.
He was on the front porch. The sign said beware of dog so i
waited. He said come on in the dog won't hurt you. I entered
the yard and halfway to the porch he sicced the dog on me. The
dog was a Doberman. After I killed the dog with my bare hands
we sat on the porch while I forced him to eat the heart of his dog
raw. While he sat there crying and puking we had a little talk. I
told him that he didn't deserve the love of any animal and that i
would be watching. If I ever saw him with another dog he would
be eating his own heart. I also made sure he had my name and
address in case eating the heart of that brave dog caused him to
grow a set and decide to try me again. siegfried schlagrule

S

Smee

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
I had business with a man one day and was invited to his house.
He was on the front porch. The sign said beware of dog so i
waited. He said come on in the dog won't hurt you. I entered
the yard and halfway to the porch he sicced the dog on me. The
dog was a Doberman. After I killed the dog with my bare hands
we sat on the porch while I forced him to eat the heart of his dog
raw. While he sat there crying and puking we had a little talk. I
told him that he didn't deserve the love of any animal and that i
would be watching. If I ever saw him with another dog he would
be eating his own heart. I also made sure he had my name and
address in case eating the heart of that brave dog caused him to
grow a set and decide to try me again. siegfried schlagrule
Love it!

I used to run a rental store. A woman in Monroe, LA decided she wasn't going to pay . . . or return the property. She kept sending her rotweiller after my account manager. He never got bit, but he decided after twice narrowly escaping, he wasn't going back by himself. I went with him and stood at the side door of the van. Sure enough, here he comes.

Hit the dog once with the tire iron. Called the customer, and she screamed and threatened to sue. When she stopped cursing, I calmly explained that while a black man might run, or a white man might shoot her pet, that if she didn't come out right now and get him, this Indian was going to haul her dog onto her front porch to boil and then eat it.

She screamed, came out with a logging chain and two locks, and locked the dog to the big oak tree in her front yard. She put the chain around his neck so tight, I was afraid he was going to choke to death. We got our television and VCR and left.

Didn't intend on doing it, but she sure thought I would. We laughed over that one for several days.

S

Smee

Dogs are so faithful, and loyal. They aren't scared of hard work either, if that is what their master wants. They take care of those they love.

She could have learned a lot from that dog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread